Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It Pays to be Pleasant

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

It Pays to be Pleasant

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 11:36 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
It Pays to be Pleasant

I was looking for a road bike for my 13 year old daughter. Something lighter than a re-purposed mountain bike. I saw a CL add for a 1981 Trek 710 that was close to her size and contacted the seller. He responded with an e-mail that the price for was firm and that he lots of people interested etc. etc. I simply responded that I wanted to come take a look at the bike.

We set a time but then he contacted me saying he couldn't make the original time and could I meet him an hour later than agreed upon? I said "Sure. No problem."

I ended up with two, 1981 Trek 715's and a box of parts!

I went this morning and he turned out to be a super nice guy. He bought these bikes as anniversary presents (one for him & one his wife) in 1981 but never did a whole lot of riding. He mentioned that I was the only person who did not try to haggle via e-mail and that actual set up a time to see the bike. He asked if I wanted the large Trek as well and how could I say no? He threw in the bin full of parts with me even asking. All in all a good day!
Old 07-05-19, 11:40 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Nice pickup!

looks like a poor fit for both PO.
Old 07-05-19, 11:46 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Whether it pays or not, it's just the right thing to do. So far I've done a pretty good job teaching my kids that. Hopefully it sticks.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-05-19, 11:58 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
The old adage "you'll catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar" applies here. Being in-your-face with a transaction usually results in no transaction at all. The hard-ass sellers and buyers that I have dealt with have gained no purchase with me.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 07-05-19, 12:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@fender1

Well done, quite a haul. Assuming the big one fits you, the coolest thing about this is you and your daughter could have matching C+V rides = Priceless.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-05-19, 12:38 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I buy and sell on CL pretty often. I have a standing rule when buying; if it's worth what they're asking and it's as described, I pay the asking price, no haggling. The only time I haggle is when the description doesn't match the true condition. Especially when it doesn't match to the extent that they were just lying in the ad or purposely didn't photo or mention obvious condition issues/damage. Then they get a take $xx.00 or I walk away negotiation; I don't feel the least bit bad about it. There have been a few times where I let something like that slide; sometimes people selling things just aren't familiar in any way with what they're selling, usually because of a loss of some sort. In those cases, I offer/pay as much of the asking price as I can. If they aren't aware of what they have and aren't asking enough, I tell them what it's worth and offer/pay closer to the item(s) true saleable value. I buy things for me, not to re-sell.

When I sell stuff on CL I don't even respond to "Will take 50 bucks for your all Campy Colnago?" inquiries. On a few occasions, involving persistent dicks, I've told them to meet me in a shopping center that is the equivalent of a war zone. I never hear back after that.

OP you have a couple nice bikes there

Last edited by nomadmax; 07-06-19 at 02:48 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-05-19, 12:45 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Full on 531 goodness!

Will your daughter understand how cool of a bike that is?

Will the big one for you?

Enjoy!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 07-05-19, 12:53 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
On a much smaller scale, I was in line at a rural convenience store to buy a Gatorade, all decked out in my Lycra. I struck up a conversation with a guy I would classify as a typical foothills redneck (about as far from my typical MAMIL type as you can get). As he purchased his cigarettes, he said "I'll get his too", just to be a nice guy. I thanked him profusely, and promised to pay it forward when I had the opportunity. It pays to not judge, and to be respectful and friendly.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 07-05-19, 01:22 PM
fender1

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Congratulations!!!

Full on 531 goodness!

Will your daughter understand how cool of a bike that is?

Will the big one for you?

Enjoy!
I hope she gets it! It will get Northroad bars, front Wald basket & rack, cork grips, XT Thumb shifters and possibly a set of Zeus centerpulls. Maybe fenders, if she wants them. All of these things are very important to HER!

The large one is a bit too big for me. I might look for a frame swap or trade for a 24" Trek of the same era. It would be fun to ride together on matching or some what matching bikes.

She will be involved in helping with the tear down and rebuild. She likes mechanical stuff (built robots and engineering stuff in school) so the plan is to have her do the work with my help.

In that scenario the problem is ME, as I get impatient and just take over. Either way it should be fun.

Last edited by fender1; 07-05-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 01:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I hope she gets it! It will get Northroad bars, front Wald basket & rack, cork grips, XT Thumb shifters and possibly a set of Zeus centerpulls. Maybe fenders, if she wants them. All of these things are very important to HER!

The large one is a bit too big for me. I might look for a frame swap or trade for a 24" Trek of the same era. It would be fun to ride together on matching or some what matching bikes.

She will be involved in helping with the tear down and rebuild. She likes mechanical stuff (built robots and engineering stuff in school) so the plan is to have her do the work with my help.

In that scenario the problem is ME, as I get impatient and just take over. Either way it should be fun.
Having her do it is beyond priceless, do everything in your power to facilitate this, no better skill than the one that has you doing it yourself.

Take a step back when you feel the need to takeover, I know, easier said than done, same here, terrible about this myself and didn't do my son or me any favors not passing more on to him.
Old 07-05-19, 01:52 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Fender1 seems like an outstanding fellow, but all bets are off when he and his daughter fight over who gets the rainbow pants leg strap!!
Likes For tyler_fred:
Old 07-05-19, 01:55 PM
fender1

Originally Posted by tyler_fred
Fender1 seems like an outstanding fellow, but all bets are off when he and his daughter fight over who gets the rainbow pants leg strap!!
Oh that is mine, for sure! It will match my rainbow suspenders!
Old 07-05-19, 04:00 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I buy and sell on CL pretty often. I have a standing rule when buying; if it's worth what they're asking and it's as described, I pay the asking price, no haggling. The only time I haggle is when the description doesn't match the true condition. Especially when it doesn't match to the extent that they were just lying in the ad or purposely didn't photo or mention obvious condition issues/damage. Then they get a take $xx.00 or I walk away negotiation; I don't feel the least bit bad about it. There have been a few times where I let something like that slide; sometimes people selling things just aren't familiar in any way with what they're selling, usually because of a loss of some sort. In those cases, I offer/pay as much of the asking price as I can. If they aren't aware of what they have and aren't asking enough; I tell them what it's worth and offer/pay closer to the item(s) true saleable value.
This. Has worked for me every time.

Originally Posted by fender1
Oh that is mine, for sure! It will match my rainbow suspenders!
Nanu-nanu.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-05-19, 04:51 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue

Nanu-nanu.