Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Plantar plate tear, anyone?

Old 06-17-19, 02:25 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Plantar plate tear, anyone?

Or is it just me, suffering and in pain for an entire year, with one?
Old 06-18-19, 09:53 AM
SpinClassSara

thank you to the 321 people who read my post.
Old 06-18-19, 03:09 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Never heard of a plantar plate tear. Have had plantar fasciitis. Painful and it took a long time to go away.
Likes For groth:
Old 06-19-19, 10:27 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I've never had one, but I'm familiar with it. It will often lead to surgery (plantar plate repair) if it does not calm down. The surgery is usually successful.
Old 06-19-19, 01:03 PM
SpinClassSara

A plantar plate tear is not plantar fasciitis. Apparently I'm not a candidate for surgery. I'm more of a candidate for suffering. Argh.
Old 06-24-19, 06:41 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
A plantar plate tear is not plantar fasciitis. Apparently I'm not a candidate for surgery. I'm more of a candidate for suffering. Argh.
Yes. Plantar fasciitis is usually painful in the heel and plantar plate tears are in the forefoot, just behind the toes. The second toe (next to the big toe) is the most common. Too bad you are not a candidate for surgery.
Old 07-04-19, 07:39 AM
MAYAM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not only you ,I’ve been having problems with my bike.
the chain goes loose most times,sickens me out
Old 07-17-19, 05:57 PM
nbseer

Bikes: Giant Defy 2 Fuji Absolute 3.0 Mongoose Crossways

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup I've had a plantar plate tear plus second toe seems to be dislocated.. I think it was caused by peddling in too-tight sneakers with cages on the pedals. May have compressed the toes leading to this problem. Looking at surgery vids on youtube scared me away.. I can ride with no problem but it has led to some balance problems when walking, feels like I'm walking on something that's stuck in the bottom of my shoe. Oh well.. getting old sucks..
Old 07-18-19, 01:39 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
This sucks, people, sorry to hear it. I've been dealing with on-and-off fasciiiiiiitis for about five years now, but an actual tear sounds worse. I hope you find some relief.
Old 08-15-19, 06:56 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
Oh well.. getting old sucks..
Yeah... Well... It's still more popular than the alternative.

I'm 61 and on the don't get sick health care plan. The balls of both feet are messed up bad enough that I'm *very* careful getting out of bed in the morning while I find out what kind of day it's going to be. About six years back I blew out my left knee. It healed without surgery but it took almost a year to get full mobility back. There's a sensation that isn't really pain. It sets off mental alarm bells, like, too much of the wrong load will finish wrecking it. Back in '85 I was in a motorcycle crash that left me with a shattered pelvis. The orthopedic surgeon who put me back together must have been some kind of genius. He got eight breaks lined up so I could heal without cutting me open and loading me full of hardware. One foot gets to the ground a little quicker than the other but I can go through airport security without having to grab my ankles. I could go on but you get the picture. What does it all add up to?

A bike with a Nexus 3spd that has the top gear set around 66 so first is low enough for stop and go traffic. It means a wide saddle and upright seating position if I want to be able to ride for more than an hour. Eventually I hope to find the right saddle and adjustments to let me ride for two hours a day and still be able to walk. It means dropping over forty pounds since last October to get my blood pressure and glucose levels back to something close to normal for a guy my age. And it means being a little lonely sometimes. Out of the couple dozen people I ran with when I was a rowdy young party animal there are three of us left and I wouldn't bet more than pocket change that either of my friends will still be sucking wind a decade from now. But I can still say;

Life is good.

Joe Kahno
Old 06-02-21, 07:00 PM
Loubarr

Bikes: Giant Contend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Diagnosed with a partial tear in plantar plate 2nd toe

How long did you rest your foot. Do you use clipless pedals?
Old 06-03-21, 09:38 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Hi - original poster here with a different name. I was in a rolling boot for about 6 weeks then back to regular shoes for about 2 weeks. I was allowed to take gym classes after that but not spin class for another 2 weeks. I wear cycling shoes with spd pedals.
Old 06-03-21, 09:45 AM
Loubarr

Bikes: Giant Contend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay my pain is very tolerable I have not rode
my bike at all. Mri revealed just a partial
tear. Im just resting it. Im not sure how painful your injury was or if it was a partial or full tear. My dr didn’t say that I couldn’t ride but im going to give it some time to heal up.