Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

charging ebike while dry camping

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-01-18, 02:01 PM
yycwrangler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do a fair bit of dry camping where I have no power. Of course this is a detriment with an bike. Has anyone used of of those car/booster/packs to charge their bike batter..See many of them are a 1000 amps or more

DEWALT 2800A/1000W Power Station | Canadian Tire

Al
Old 08-02-18, 05:21 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wouldn't think that would help enough ... various people tinker with using Solar panels. If you are comfortable leaving your gear at the campsite, you could charge some base station battery (ies) with a solar charger and then your ebike pack. The "easy" way is to use an inverter+your usual charger. But that's a bit inefficient ... but since Li batteries really should be charged "correctly" it is probably safer to lose the 15% or so to the inverter step.

But if you were DIY for building your Li pack to start with, you might feel perfectly comfortable with the DC-DC charger approach.
Old 08-02-18, 05:32 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Khb
Wouldn't think that would help enough ... various people tinker with using Solar panels. If you are comfortable leaving your gear at the campsite, you could charge some base station battery (ies) with a solar charger and then your ebike pack.
That is the route I was thinking. If you need to use the bike every day, get two batteries, one on the solar charger and one in use. Otherwise, just charge the batteries whenever you are in camp.