Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early Dura Ace vs Neuvo Record

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Early Dura Ace vs Neuvo Record

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 12:37 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
But expecting racing equipment to last into the C&V era is not something any of us were thinking about at the time...If you were, why not stockpile a few thousand cable clips?
I did think about it due to cash constraints. I still do think this way. I want to buy once and cry once. It is why I dislike plastic parts on almost anything - they do not last.

When my bike got repainted, I had them install braze-on cable guides and stops and water bottle bosses. I outsmarted corrosion,... sort of. Rust never sleeps.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-09-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 12:40 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
This is an interesting discussion. It's worth noting that the president of Shimano America in 1973 was also (his other business) a Campagnolo importer: Bob Hansing. Read on: https://www.euroasiaimports.com/aboutus.asp . I think Shimano was consciously copying the market leader. It wasn't until Shimano came out with professional-level index shifting that they started making inroads in the late '80's. After that Shimano's brake/shift levers turned the tide against Campy.

I'd agree with many of the assessments above: Nuovo Record was for the hardcore racer, Dura-Ace tried to be as good but the serviceability hampered it. When I worked at Euro-Asia Imports (1988-1989) all of the NR small parts were still available. I remember us replacing the bushings in a Nuovo Record rear derailleur because the owner didn't want to give up his original part.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-10-19, 09:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Regarding Dura-Ace small parts availability. I raised this subject with our rep (wholesaler, who distributed Campagnolo and Shimano) back in the mid-1970s. I was told that Shimano did have small parts availability. However, they did not want to invest in another large inventory of small parts. They had already done so with Campagnolo and there was a significant amount gathering dust, despite Campagnolo having the majority share of the high end market. Dura-Ace's market share didn't justify the investment. There were some exceptions, for more common replacement items, such as axles and cones. He claimed he could get any Shimano part but it may take quite a while and there would be a special order charge. For the same reason, they did not stock most SunTour small parts, though they were reportedly available too. Basically, they had tied up a lot of money in small parts inventory for European brands before the Japanese arrived on the scene and did not want to have to do so again. Consequently, they only stocked the most common replacement parts for the Japanese brands that they distributed.
Old 06-10-19, 10:07 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Suntour was often mixed with Campy but you would never see that with Shimano.
Mostly true, unless you bought a touring Paramount in '73.

Old 06-10-19, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
BITD Campagnolo was like a little Italian village in size, Shimano a City-State..
Old 06-10-19, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I concur and mentioned earlier. There wasn't much to gain using early gen Dura Ace. The derailleurs also weighed more than Campy. Suntour was the go to replacement and a bargain to buy.

That aside, a solid twenty year or so run on the Campy high end NR/SR speaks. Where as Shimano seemingly changed every two years, even as the AX was rad new- it poofed in very short time. Could only imagine the directors scratching their heads and re-tooling budgets.

Shimano was gaining in the general family bicycle market and in general recognition, didn't make the pro grade until the legendary SIS and only after Hampsten's big stage at the Giro.

All one has to do is research the teams back when and look closely at pics. Where was Shimano Crane and Dura Ace?

Personally, I appreciate the old Campy NR-SR dominance, respect it but becomes boring in the classic scene. I don't mind seeing reworked long caged, drillium / lightened, a company like what ICS was doing. I also like seeing other makes and brands, the underdogs, ideas - good or bad and seeing them in use today. Dig the early Dura Ace for its history and challenging the long dominant Campagnolo.
I'm always puzzled by the the claims of Shimano changing things things every year or two. Certainly, they had new introductions every year or two, but that was because they generally staggered the introductions between groups.. The shortest time lag between introductions of Dura-Ace was the three years between Dura-Ace EX and Dura-Ace AX, but they ran EX concurrent with AX. Even Dura-Ace AX was available or four years. Campagnolo was just as guilty of sort periods between introductions. The Paris-Roubaix derailleur was only on the market for two year before it was succeeded by Gran Sport. The Record rear derailleur was introduced for the 1964 model year but got replaced by the Nuovo Record only four years later, in 1968.

People raise a fuss about Dura-Ace AX and failed aero styling, but Campagnolo appropriated it for C-Record. Gone were the embossed and fluted surfaces. Everything was aero profile. It was AX cranked down one notch to appeal to the more.traditional cyclist.

Shimano actually sponsored their first European pro team in 1973, Flandria-Carpenter-Shimano. They had a pretty good year, winning Fleche Wallone, the Tour of Romandie, three stages in the Tour de France and dozens of wins in lesser races. Freddy Maertens almost won the World Championships for Shimano that year, but Tullio was so worried about Shimano winning the World's Championships in it's first year on the European circuit that he had Campagnolo riders conspire against Maertens. Shimano's near victory caused Tullio to make Flandria an offer they couldn't refuse and put Maertens back on Campagnolo equipment. Campagnolo's success in European racing owes as much to his business acumen and his pockets, as to the merits of his equipment. He always tried to ensure the best riders and teams were on Campagnolo equipment.

The first big win for Shimano's New Dura-Ace, equipped with SIS, actually occurred in 1984, the year before it's commercial release. That year, the Cilo-Aufina team was using it in prototype form and Urs Zimmermann used it to win the Tour of Switzerland.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-10-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 11:52 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
And then there was Bill Woodul with the cool Campy support bubble roof van ~~~

(bubbles.... reminds me of champagne ;")

Old 06-10-19, 11:59 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts
A couple Dura-Ace anecdotes (why BF just tossed out my original reply - expired token, WTF?)...
  1. My Schwinn Volare (1978) has first-gen Dura-Ace. It seems every bit as good as Campy of the era. I just replaced the DA shifters with Simplex Retrofriction yesterday. Might have gotten slightly better yet.
  2. I looked at a completely disassembled (down to unlacing the wheels!) early 70s Colnago a few years ago which had Dura-Ace componentry. The seller said his father-in-law had purchased the bike from Sigi Renz in (I think) Munich. Sigi apparently recommended the D-A saying it was good as Campy but half the price.
Old 06-10-19, 02:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
From Disraeli Gears:

Frank Berto caustically comments that the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur shifted poorly, but was so well constructed that it would keep on shifting exactly as poorly - forever.
I seem to recall reading that Shimano engineers were a bit surprised by how much stuff broke when they first got Pro rides to use dura ace.

Old 06-10-19, 03:06 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
A couple Dura-Ace anecdotes (why BF just tossed out my original reply - expired token, WTF?)...
  1. My Schwinn Volare (1978) has first-gen Dura-Ace. It seems every bit as good as Campy of the era. I just replaced the DA shifters with Simplex Retrofriction yesterday. Might have gotten slightly better yet.
  2. I looked at a completely disassembled (down to unlacing the wheels!) early 70s Colnago a few years ago which had Dura-Ace componentry. The seller said his father-in-law had purchased the bike from Sigi Renz in (I think) Munich. Sigi apparently recommended the D-A saying it was good as Campy but half the price.
Because you are posting blasphemous rumors...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 06-10-19 at 03:10 PM.