Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Tour de Blast, Flying Wheels, Etc...

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 07:26 PM
BGrayvy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple friends and I are trying to set a few organized ride goals for the coming year. I'll be out of town during STP but I'm interested in the Flying Wheels century and the full Tour de Blast.

Any veterans from these rides have any advice? Are these rides well organized? The only other organized ride I've done was the Chilly Hilly last year and we had a great time and will probably do it again.

Anyone have other favorite organized / supported rides?

tks,
Bruce
Old 11-28-09, 12:16 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My fave organized rides:

- Chilly Hilly
- Tour de Cure
- 7 Hills of Kirkland
- Summits of Bothell
- Flying Wheels
- Emerald City Lights
- Daffodil Classic
Old 11-29-09, 10:40 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
I don't do a lot of the big organized rides, but I've done both the Tour de Blast and Flying Wheels. Both are very well organized rides. Flying Wheels is huge so make sure you know how to ride in a crowd before you get there. Tour de Blast is one of my favorites. It's a beautiful route and support is usually excellent. It's not unusual to encounter some serious temperature differentials between the start and the summit on the TdB. High winds are pretty common as well. Make sure you have a warm layer to put on for the descent. The High Pass Challenge is another good one with an excellent route and good support. If you're going to do the TdB or the HPC, make sure you ride some hills in preparation.
Old 11-30-09, 02:07 AM
tomatl411

Bikes: cervelo soloist team '07; Specialized Allez Elite '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
I don't do a lot of the big organized rides, but I've done both the Tour de Blast and Flying Wheels. Both are very well organized rides. Flying Wheels is huge so make sure you know how to ride in a crowd before you get there. Tour de Blast is one of my favorites. It's a beautiful route and support is usually excellent. It's not unusual to encounter some serious temperature differentials between the start and the summit on the TdB. High winds are pretty common as well. Make sure you have a warm layer to put on for the descent. The High Pass Challenge is another good one with an excellent route and good support. If you're going to do the TdB or the HPC, make sure you ride some hills in preparation.
I've done both over the past 3-4 years, my thoughts: Tour DeBlast is very well organized with very good food. The roads are in excellent condition and given that it is an out and back ride where the midpoint is a dead end at Johnstone ridge, the traffic is minimal. This is also not a terribly crowded ride. The "x" factor is the weather, it is very cold up top on some of the higher passes and has snowed in years past, and can be very windy; makind descending quite treacherous. The hills are pretty unrelenting, but the descents are epic, imagine5-10 minutes downhill at sustained 40+ mph (again wind-dependent).

Flying Wheels has some bucolic scenery through rolling farmland--but is more crowded with other cyclists and cars. There are enough hills to keep it interesting. It does not seem as crowded to me as chilly hilly does or the STP (with the exception of the first hill)--probably because the FW has 3-4 course options that disperses the bike traffic more evenly after the first 15-20 miles. The FW is a much larger ride, but it always has good support.

As far as scheduling which ride to train for--I treat the TDB as an epic ride to train for, while the FW is a ride I always enjoy, but I don't train specifically for. There are no stoplights or stopsigns on the TDB, nothing to stop you other than the terrain, weather, your bike, and your legs I can more accurately gauge my time on course without factoring in traffic lights, bike traffic, car traffic, etc. I
I've felt destroyed after every TDB, not so after every FW.

The HPC is also a good one to train for, I've never done it--its much later in the year (sept), but it sound like a great ride.

-Jason
Old 11-30-09, 11:26 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My favorites:

- Tour de Blast
- Skagit Spring Classic (in late April or early May; nice scenery, quiet roads). Many options on this ride - you can do 40, 60, 80, or 100-mile loops.
- High Pass Challenge
- Native Planet Classic (usually the same weekend in June as the Tour de Blast). This route goes over the North Cascades Highway, and it's great to have support on this route as normally there are not a lot of services along the way.

I also like the Chilly Hilly as a fun ride to start the season. And I've ridden the Daffodil Classic wice; I like the first 60-mile loop more than the last 40 miles, which are kind of boring. Finally, the Kitsap Color Classic (in October) is a nice ride for the end of the season.

I didn't really enjoy the Flying Wheels ride -- too many cycling clubs treating it like a training ride, blasting through crowds in double pacelines. Too crowded in general.

BTW, I've found this the handiest calendar of Washington-area rides:

https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_WebPa...ecalendar.html
Old 12-02-09, 03:04 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I've only done a handful of organized rides so don’t have a lot to compare to. I did to the TDB last year and really enjoyed it despite the weather. As mentioned before dress appropriately and make sure you at least have a wind shell and gloves for the descents. Even with gloves my hands were getting cold coming off Johnston Ridge but then it stopped raining and the next decent was really enjoyable. Organization is really good; they even have shuttles if you can’t finish for some reason. There is a fair amount of climbing with 3 longer climbs and a fair number of rollers which is one of the reasons my GF and I did it. We were training for a longer hillier ride. Traffic is minimal in the morning but gets heavier as the day goes on but is still not bad and the roads and shoulders are very good. If you are feeling really adventurous you can go down to Oregon and do the Crater Lake Century or to Nor Cal and do the Shasta Summit Century. Lots of climbing, stellar views and warmer weather. A couple of years ago we did the Tour de Okanagan out of Winthrop. There were only something like 12 of us that did the 100 mile loop but there were still 3 food stations with friendly volunteers there. I think they stopped organizing this part of the Methow Valley Fall Bike Festival and only do mountain bike rides which is too bad. The road rides are self-guided now. You could also do some rides on your own if you want some goals. There are a lot of great stretches of highway in this state. I've never done the Native Classic but have ridden several times from Winthrop to Washington or Rainy Pass and back, really a great ride and not a lot of traffic.
Old 12-02-09, 08:46 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Another vote for Tour de Blast, that's a good one.

While we're at it you can't forget Ramrod, and if we're talking Ramrod then perhaps a SiR 200k is within reach? It's a slippery slope..

my race videos
Old 12-03-09, 04:54 PM
BGrayvy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
Another vote for Tour de Blast, that's a good one.

While we're at it you can't forget Ramrod, and if we're talking Ramrod then perhaps a SiR 200k is within reach? It's a slippery slope..

Thanks for all the replies everyone. And yes, I have been checking out the SiR site quite a bit lately - that and a Masi Randoneurr and Surly LHT on sale at Recycled Cycles.

The early season SiR 100K ride within Seattle city limits (I think) that they put on last year looks like a good follow-up to the Chilly Hilly. Haven't seen their 2010 calendar yet.

I think Ramrod is beyond my reach and time for training this year.

I will definately look into the Skagit Spring Classic too. Now I just have to convince my riding partners to go along with all this.

BengeBoy, I think I saw you on your new ride (green cloth bar bag?) last Saturday or maybe it was the previous Saturday heading north while I was heading south by Beer Shiva. Sweet looking bike from what I could see going the opposite direction.
Old 12-04-09, 10:23 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife Kasia & I usually do a number of organized rides. Here are a few of our favorites (in roughly chronological order)

* Worst Day of the Year: https://www.worstdayride.com/portland/
* Chilly Hilly: https://cascade.org/EandR/chilly/index.cfm
* McClinchy Mile: https://www.bikesclub.org/html/mcclinchy/mcclinchy.htm
* Tulip Pedal: https://www.skagitems.com/tpedal_main.htm (although we've had no tulips for the past two years)
* Daffodil Classic: https://www.twbc.org/events/daffodil/
* May Day Metric: https://www.teamtailwind.com/ (The event site is currently inaccessible. The ride goes from Federal Way to Orting to Wilkison to Rainer National Park and back.)
* Skagit Valley Spring Classic: https://www.skagitbicycleclub.org/springclassic.cfm
* Reach the Beach: https://rtb.kintera.org/faf/home/defa...?ievent=294027
* Flying Wheels: https://www.cascade.org/EandR/flying/index.cfm
* Livestrong Challenge Seattle: https://seattle2010.livestrong.org/fa...?ievent=330114
* RSVP: https://www.cascade.org//EandR/rsvp/index.cfm
Old 12-05-09, 08:16 AM
challaday

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Tour de Blast. Good support, nice course, little traffic. I don't do a lot of organized rides because I race, but I've enjoyed most of the organized rides that I've done.

I also recommend the High Pass Challenge. It's like a mini RAMROD, but not nearly as difficult. 114 miles, 7500 ft vertical. Well supported, minimal traffic, not crowded at all. This year there were 600 or so riders.
Old 12-05-09, 09:25 PM
kitsap leo
custom user title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 ride , RAPSody. About 190 miles, one or two day. Just under 9000ft elevation gain, but no hill is over 500ft. Starts in Tacoma, ends in Tacoma. Overnight stop is Shelton.
Here's why I love this one. It's put on by five cycle clubs under the Washington Bike Alliance banner, each club does food stops with each clubs name. The food IS NOT bike event typical dried out bagels and spackle peanut butter. 1st stop in Manchester is home made cookies, blueberries and yogurt, fruit, scones and jam. Lunch - all-you-can-eat calzones plus cookies and fruit. And a oompah band playing as well. Dinner in Shelton- full dinner, salad, pasta, desert,coffee followed by entertainment- one year we had a oldies rock band- ever seen 50+ year old cyclists dancing? Next day 1st breakfast eggs-pancakes, sausage, spuds, breads,doughnuts, fruit,coffee, tea, milk, coco. 2nd breakfast 25 miles down the road, more fruit, hard boiled eggs, baked stuff. Lunch is curried veg wraps/ turkey rolls, more fruit, breads.
The route is all back roads heading north through Kitsap and back south to Shelton, bring a camera for crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the views are tremendous. 2nd day swing through Olympia and out to Issaquah and back up to Tacoma.The climb out of Shelton will slap your quads into full wakefulness and you might regret that full breakfast, but you'll need the nourishment because you've got miles to travel. Lots of wandering backroads, some passive /aggressive chip seal,( 25mm is much better than 23mm) Great views, you also ride I-5 for about five miles, great fun if traffic is jammed up, you pass the motorists. Couple of long bike trails.
Most of the climbing, about 6500ft, is on day one.
As a two day ride, it's just fun, challenging but mere mortals can ride it. The one day is right up there with RAMROD, it's a toughie, and it's in August so the days are getting shorter so you cannot waste any time to finish.
This isn't a beginner ride. The hills are short, none over 500ft gain, but there are a lot of them. Unlike a flat ride like Stp, you can't just settle down to a steady effort, RAPSody will make you work for each hill.
This ride is worth the effort.
Ride cost is about 80 bucks

Last edited by kitsap leo; 12-06-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 09:42 PM
kitsap leo
custom user title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to add my next favourite, Tour de Kitsap. One day ride 100-70-50-25 miles.
If you unfolded Kitsap it would cover most of the state. This is hilly. The Illahee hill climb is both the stuff of legend and nightmare. The descent into Seabeck is a double nickel + drop if you tuck. You can ride the Seattle ferry to Bremerton to pick up the course. The full 100 miles takes you around Kitsap north of Bremerton. Coincides with a local summer festival, the Silverdale Whaling Days, so expect the usual public debauchery of beer gardens, food booths and trinket sales.
The ride is on Sunday, Saturday is crit racing through Silverdale. Nice weekend get-a-way for total bike imersion and plenty for a non-riding spouse, mall shopping and downtown Bemerton shops to explore.
Ride cost is twenty bucks, cheap thrills on a buget.

Last edited by kitsap leo; 12-05-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 02:50 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BGrayvy
The early season SiR 100K ride within Seattle city limits (I think) that they put on last year looks like a good follow-up to the Chilly Hilly. Haven't seen their 2010 calendar yet.
2010 ride calendar is up for SiR, and there's a WTS (Winter Training Series) ride coming up on Saturday if you're interested.
If the 100k Populaire course is the same as last year's, the Big Time Urban Pop. is very hilly, with quite a few steep grinders in there... but it is an awesome fun time. Last year it was snowing at the start of the ride, and we got to head up some insane hill (92nd, maybe?) in slush!
Old 01-11-10, 06:31 PM
BGrayvy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
2010 ride calendar is up for SiR, and there's a WTS (Winter Training Series) ride coming up on Saturday if you're interested.
If the 100k Populaire course is the same as last year's, the Big Time Urban Pop. is very hilly, with quite a few steep grinders in there... but it is an awesome fun time. Last year it was snowing at the start of the ride, and we got to head up some insane hill (92nd, maybe?) in slush!
The timing for the February 100K Populaire sucks. Day after the Chilly Hilly. Oh well, I'll check out the map afterwards and we'll ride it on our own. Seriously, why not have a week between the two so those of us who try to fit biking and non-biking family time together could do it.
Old 01-18-10, 05:57 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow $80 buck a pop? That's a hefty ride price esp. for families. Yeah it's a 2day...Some of these ride prices really need to drop to accommodate those affected by the economy.
Originally Posted by kitsap leo
#1 ride , RAPSody.
This ride is worth the effort.
Ride cost is about 80 bucks
Old 01-29-10, 10:20 AM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I would toss in a vote for the Tour de Whidbey. September 25, 2010. They have options from 10 to 100 miles. https://www.whidbeygen.org/whidbeygen.../tourdewhidbey It is a fund raiser, so it isn't cheap, but the riders and volunteers were so friendly and the scenery can't be beaten. There are some hills, but it isn't a climbers ride.