Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ridden Coast to Coast America?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Has anyone ridden Coast to Coast America?

Old 05-15-12, 01:44 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Thanks Tom, its just not going to happen anytime soon, not a cross country tour anyway... I am going to try for a weekend touring adventure in the near future. Until then I will continue to enjoy the few hours I get to ride my bike. My buisness keeps me really busy, but I am close to hiring someone to help me with the workload, and when that happens my time will free up and some touring will be in my future plans.
Tom, I hope you can achieve a level of health and fitness that will allow you to make your touring dream come true also.
Here's an idea for you....you could do it one way and have someone run you back in a motor vehicle.

https://g.co/maps/yahb2 Real slow easy pace, and this could be a weeklong tour.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-15-12, 02:54 PM
Sachelis

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac (roadie) and 2011 56cm 600 LHT (touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
I am amazed by how many people who say "do it now" and "take three or four weeks off and start"... Some of us (myself included) have commitments...jobs...house payments...bills that won't wait...and no ability to just stop it all for a few weeks, or a few months and take off on our bikes. <snip>
I think the barrage of "do it now" replies are because, as andrewclause posted, many of us have learned that if we don't have pressure, either internal or external, our dreams will never become realities. We’re giving teachme a gentle push. Maybe not this year or next, and maybe not the year after that, but knowing that lots of people are out there touring, some for a few days and some for a few years, should be encouragement for teachme and others to begin living their dreams ASAP.
Old 05-15-12, 04:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
I am amazed by how many people who say "do it now" and "take three or four weeks off and start"... Some of us (myself included) have commitments...jobs ... I don't have the vacation
If you've got a job, having 3 or 4 weeks (or more) off each year is just normal holiday/vacation time.

What you do with that time off each year is up to you. Even if visiting family and friends is a priority on our trips, we bring the bicycles and try to get in as much cycing as possible in the areas we visit.

If teachme has commitments to visit family in other parts of the world during his holidays, perhaps he and his wife could see about cycling there or doing a short cycling tour while there.

Last edited by Machka; 05-15-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 04:18 PM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDIT: Sorry 'bout the long post.

I'm approaching 50 years of age. It's only a couple of years away.

Recently a buddy of mine was helping me freshen up my resume and he remarked "Holy mackerel, you've never had a good job in your life, have you?" I had to admit the truth of that. Right now I fix computers for a living. That's a dead end job if ever there was one. With laptops, smart phones, smart TVs and pad devices, the desktop is going to be a thing of the past soon enough.

My wife and I live in a house that's paid off. I just finished paying off my child support. I have no credit cards and I don't buy anything on payments. If I don't have the cash for it I don't need it - or I need to save the cash to buy it. I guess I'm a bit different in looking at it this way - why pay some guy for the privilege of using his money when I can simply save the money and not pay interest?

Instant gratification isn't a big thing w/ me.

So, as I approach 50, and I realize that I'm past the half-way point of my life I've started thinking about my own mortality. I know that if I take care of myself I should have another 20-30 years in me (according to the statistics). However, I also hear regularly of guys my age simply dropping dead - or contracting cancer and going the hard way. I also realize that those 20-30 years won't be 20-30 years of "young and strong", they're the fading years of one's life. Those are the years that your powers slip away gradually until - if you're lucky - you live to be a feeble old man that dies quickly of a heart attack or a stroke.

Bummer way to look at it, isn't it? But, you have to admit, it's truth. There's nothing wrong with recognizing truth.

Right now my goal is to become as fit as I can be at my age and maintain the best level of fitness that I can in the coming years to make those years as good as possible. What good is it to be 78 if all you can do is sit in a chair and look out a window?

That's one of the reasons I started bicycling in the first place.

I also had another realization. The years I've lived thus far were all dedicated to taking care of other people. I worked to support a family. I worked hard so my boss would realize the value in keeping me around. He made out - I didn't. I've done my best to do right by other people, and I've realized little economic gain from it myself.

Now, I'm not crying about it. This isn't me sobbing into my coffee about how unjust life is. Again - simply reality. No harm in seeing things as they are, right?

So, in the realization that I've never had that "big adventure", and that the opportunity to have one comes rarely in one's life, I'm thinking that I should do it soon. I don't think I'll ever be in as good a position for it as I am right now. I've minimum responsibilities. Our household bills can be handled by either my wife's or my income. I have no debt to speak of. I can find yet another dead end job at any time. It's not like there's a shortage of crappy jobs. I'll never be healthier than I am today (although I could stand to be quite a bit more fit than I am now).

So why not?

There's my rant. My goal is to get in shape to do something of exactly this nature.

Last edited by SkippyX; 05-15-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 04:57 PM
stephenjubb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkippyX
EDIT: Sorry 'bout the long post.

I'm approaching 50 years of age. It's only a couple of years away.

Recently a buddy of mine was helping me freshen up my resume and he remarked "Holy mackerel, you've never had a good job in your life, have you?" I had to admit the truth of that. Right now I fix computers for a living. That's a dead end job if ever there was one. With laptops, smart phones, smart TVs and pad devices, the desktop is going to be a thing of the past soon enough.

My wife and I live in a house that's paid off. I just finished paying off my child support. I have no credit cards and I don't buy anything on payments. If I don't have the cash for it I don't need it - or I need to save the cash to buy it. I guess I'm a bit different in looking at it this way - why pay some guy for the privilege of using his money when I can simply save the money and not pay interest?

Instant gratification isn't a big thing w/ me.

So, as I approach 50, and I realize that I'm past the half-way point of my life I've started thinking about my own mortality. I know that if I take care of myself I should have another 20-30 years in me (according to the statistics). However, I also hear regularly of guys my age simply dropping dead - or contracting cancer and going the hard way. I also realize that those 20-30 years won't be 20-30 years of "young and strong", they're the fading years of one's life. Those are the years that your powers slip away gradually until - if you're lucky - you live to be a feeble old man that dies quickly of a heart attack or a stroke.

Bummer way to look at it, isn't it? But, you have to admit, it's truth. There's nothing wrong with recognizing truth.

Right now my goal is to become as fit as I can be at my age and maintain the best level of fitness that I can in the coming years to make those years as good as possible. What good is it to be 78 if all you can do is sit in a chair and look out a window?

That's one of the reasons I started bicycling in the first place.

I also had another realization. The years I've lived thus far were all dedicated to taking care of other people. I worked to support a family. I worked hard so my boss would realize the value in keeping me around. He made out - I didn't. I've done my best to do right by other people, and I've realized little economic gain from it myself.

Now, I'm not crying about it. This isn't me sobbing into my coffee about how unjust life is. Again - simply reality. No harm in seeing things as they are, right?

So, in the realization that I've never had that "big adventure", and that the opportunity to have one comes rarely in one's life, I'm thinking that I should do it soon. I don't think I'll ever be in as good a position for it as I am right now. I've minimum responsibilities. Our household bills can be handled by either my wife's or my income. I have no debt to speak of. I can find yet another dead end job at any time. It's not like there's a shortage of crappy jobs. I'll never be healthier than I am today (although I could stand to be quite a bit more fit than I am now).

So why not?

There's my rant. My goal is to get in shape to do something of exactly this nature.
what an excellent post. I think that way at 40 now!
Old 05-16-12, 01:23 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
I'm approaching 50 years of age. It's only a couple of years away......
when i was 40, i went in for my regular cholesterol test. things were going well, hdl/ldl was okay, triglycerides
a tad high. then doc says.....you seem fine. um, you know about that murmur right? oh-oh.

doc at the va gives me an echo, says that valve's gotta go. not this year, or the next. within ten for sure.
aortic valve actually only held out for five years.......
Old 05-16-12, 05:00 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
when i was 40, i went in for my regular cholesterol test. things were going well, hdl/ldl was okay, triglycerides
a tad high. then doc says.....you seem fine. um, you know about that murmur right? oh-oh.

doc at the va gives me an echo, says that valve's gotta go. not this year, or the next. within ten for sure.
aortic valve actually only held out for five years.......
Exactly what I'm talking about.

There are no guarantees of tomorrow. I figure I should live as well as I can now. I've noticed that as I've gotten closer to fifty "long term planning" has taken on a whole new meaning.
Old 05-16-12, 08:05 AM
saddlesores

Exactly what I'm talking about.

There are no guarantees of tomorrow. I figure I should live as well as I can now. I've noticed that as I've gotten closer to fifty "long term planning" has taken on a whole new meaning.
yep, gives you a whole new perspective. sold the house and the car and the motorcycle,
move to china, learned chinese. valve went bad, so had a replacement in india. then to thailand
for a year to learn a little thai. finally back to china to teach english.

got a new valve, ran a marathon, cycle across thailand and vietnam and laos and cambodia
and southern china. two week vacation this summer, will tour myanmar, then from bangkok
will cycle back to china.

new valve should last twenty years or so, then get a new one. unless i'm bitten by a black
mamba or stomped by a rogue elephant or wake up with a cobra or miss the landmine markers.

but now you've got me thinking...what should i do to celebrate 50?

got it....i'm gonna bicycle uphill all the way to lhasa.
Old 05-16-12, 08:08 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got it....i'm gonna bicycle uphill all the way to lhasa.
Wow.

That's a LONG way uphill.........

That's a reward?
Old 05-16-12, 08:11 AM
saddlesores

the reward? it won't be on a single speed with solid rubber tyres.
Old 05-16-12, 08:13 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the reward? it won't be on a single speed with solid rubber tyres.
Old 05-17-12, 08:11 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Yes, Seattle to NY via Canada (Ice Fields Parkway! Yeah!). I was 21. I'm 57 now and I'd do it again in a heart beat if I'd the time. Budget 50-60 miles a day and in a month you'll be 1/2 way. A long x country trip is like no other. Takes ~2 weeks to adjust to pace. Our 6 person group started slow and finished strong though we had more than our share of broken spokes, flats, wrecks, broken bike frames (mixte), arguements, etc. After a month I felt like I'd been on the road my entire life. Do it now.
Old 05-17-12, 08:31 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I'm one of the do it now responders but by all means, start with short trips, overnight, 2-3 days. Most X country cyclists only do one major trip in their lifetime because of the time committment (which is significant). Any advantage in age will make the trip easier. A coastal trip (say 101) is about a 3-4 weeks. A state round trip (in the west) can be 2 weeks or less. Consider a group trip with sag wagon. One of my all time fav trips in Puget Sound included riding all the ferries (except to the State Pen on McNeil Is.!).
Old 05-17-12, 08:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If you haven't done so, check out Adventure Cycling Association, which is the organization that has developed bike routes across the USA. They also run supported and partially supported tours. Their Southern Tier supported trip takes about 2 months (58 days) and costs $5,149 (might be less for members). Although that is a lot of money, they provide routes, meals, lodging, SAG support and carry your gear. You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour when you take into account equipment needs (racks, panniers, etc.), lodging (would take more time solo so you would spend more money on hotels or camp ground fees), and food (would spend more money on food carrying more weight and riding longer period).

https://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/

I am seriously considered this option if I decide to ride cross country. I could take 2 months off work because I have 6 weeks already accumulated and earn 4 weeks/year. I am reasonably convinced that the cost for the ACA supported tour wouldn't be that much more expensive that riding solo and carrying my own gear because the self-supported tour would take much longer, requiring me to take unpaid leave from my job, and I would spend more on food and lodging. In addition, you could ride the ACA with any decent road bike that fits you well because you wouldn't have to carry any gear. A person could easily spend $2,000 or more on a touring bike with racks, panniers, etc.
Old 05-17-12, 09:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
If you haven't done so, check out Adventure Cycling Association, which is the organization that has developed bike routes across the USA. They also run supported and partially supported tours. Their Southern Tier supported trip takes about 2 months (58 days) and costs $5,149 (might be less for members). Although that is a lot of money, they provide routes, meals, lodging, SAG support and carry your gear. You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour when you take into account equipment needs (racks, panniers, etc.), lodging (would take more time solo so you would spend more money on hotels or camp ground fees), and food (would spend more money on food carrying more weight and riding longer period).

I am seriously considered this option if I decide to ride cross country. I could take 2 months off work because I have 6 weeks already accumulated and earn 4 weeks/year. I am reasonably convinced that the cost for the ACA supported tour wouldn't be that much more expensive that riding solo and carrying my own gear because the self-supported tour would take much longer, requiring me to take unpaid leave from my job, and I would spend more on food and lodging. In addition, you could ride the ACA with any decent road bike that fits you well because you wouldn't have to carry any gear. A person could easily spend $2,000 or more on a touring bike with racks, panniers, etc.
Good points.

I agree that you can do the trip in less time that way.

On the "You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour", I will qualify that by saying that while true, it is also possible to do it for about half that. I know that I did even when factoring in the bike and any new gear. It depends on your touring style though.

Also I will add that the two will be vastly different experiences. Having a sag vehicle changes the trip in many ways, some good and some bad (at least to me). Riding with a group similarly makes the trip different, again in a very fundamental way. Which of the two is for you only you can answer.
Old 05-17-12, 09:29 AM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel

You bring up some good points about unpaid leave and gear costs. On the other hand for me the Southern Tier doesn't have the greatest scenery. If you compare costs on the supported TransAm and self-supported it's about a 5k difference. The gear investment sets you up for years of self-supported touring. Not to mention the considerable down sides of traveling with a group. There are no doubt upsides too but I would rather spontaneously pick up riding partners along the way and ride on my own schedule. Everyone is different though and luckily we have lots of choices.

Last edited by mm718; 05-17-12 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-17-12, 09:31 AM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Good points.

I agree that you can do the trip in less time that way.

On the "You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour", I will qualify that by saying that while true, it is also possible to do it for about half that. I know that I did even when factoring in the bike and any new gear. It depends on your touring style though.

Also I will add that the two will be vastly different experiences. Having a sag vehicle changes the trip in many ways, some good and some bad (at least to me). Riding with a group similarly makes the trip different, again in a very fundamental way. Which of the two is for you only you can answer.
I'm a little intimidated about the idea of riding coast to coast unsupported. How do you get over the fear of just riding a bike such a far distance?
Old 05-17-12, 10:07 AM
staehpj1

First let me say that I mis-typed a bit in my previous post. When I was mentioning both cost and duration I was talking about doing the Trans America.

I did the Southern Tier this winter and took 33 days to go from San Diego to Sarasota, so at that pace I probably could have gotten to St Augustine in under 40 days. I am only moderately fit and am 60 years old, so the I don't think going with the ACA necessarily saves you a lot of time. I got rooms quite frequently on that trip and still spent less than half of the sagged tour cost. I did camp for free a lot of the time though.

I'm a little intimidated about the idea of riding coast to coast unsupported. How do you get over the fear of just riding a bike such a far distance?
My first tour was the Trans America and I have done a few other long tours after that, but while I always kind of have the nervous jitters leading up to a long tour, I can't say I ever was really fearful. What specifically is it that you are afraid of? Maybe if you are more specific I could set you mind at ease a bit.
Old 05-17-12, 10:34 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good points. I mention the supported option because it's not feasible for many cyclists to take 3-4 months off work, and the costs of buying a touring bike and gear can be considerable. There are pros and cons to both ways. On the plus side, I have ridden many week-long supported tours and have always enjoyed the comradery of touring with others. We usually don't ride at the same pace, but I enjoy talking to others in the campgrounds, eating out after the rides, etc. Also, most cyclists would probably agree that it is much more enjoyable riding an unloaded bike than one carrying 40-50 lbs of gear. Certainly there are many advantages to riding unsupported as well -- setting your own pace, choosing your own route, meeting people along the way, etc.

I typically ride a couple of supported tours every year, ranging from 3 days to week long, and I've always had a great time.
Old 05-17-12, 10:38 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I did the Southern Tier this winter and took 33 days to go from San Diego to Sarasota, so at that pace I probably could have gotten to St Augustine in under 40 days. I am only moderately fit and am 60 years old, so the I don't think going with the ACA necessarily saves you a lot of time. I got rooms quite frequently on that trip and still spent less than half of the sagged tour cost. I did camp for free a lot of the time though.
You must be more than moderately fit! By my calculations, you must have averaged about 100 miles/day. I'd like to know more about your trip. Did you do a blog or journal on Crazy Guy?
Old 05-17-12, 10:38 AM
teachme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First let me say that I mis-typed a bit in my previous post. When I was mentioning both cost and duration I was talking about doing the Trans America.

My first tour was the Trans America and I have done a few other long tours after that, but while I always kind of have the nervous jitters leading up to a long tour, I can't say I ever was really fearful. What specifically is it that you are afraid of? Maybe if you are more specific I could set you mind at ease a bit.
I'm a good 10 years away from really taking off for 2 or 3 months for a cycling tour, but I do see where a 5 or 6 day tour could be in my near future. I don't think that I'm really scared about this, but what bothers me is family and friends will probably think I'm crazy when I tell them this is something I want to do.
Old 05-17-12, 10:45 AM
teachme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wanted to answer this honestly...

On a long tour, I am afraid of:
Getting hit by a car, riding along on a highway dosen't seem very safe to me. Are there safe roads? How do you cycle defensively to keep from getting injured or killed out there?
Old 05-17-12, 10:47 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
In some ways, there isn't as big a different in what it takes to ride a week vs. riding two months. The home front needs to be arranged differently to cover things while one is out but I found most equipment is similar and one washes clothes a few more times. So what I did was a progression. By the time I cycled across USA, I had done three trips over 1000 miles and many many short two and three day or four day weekend trips. Two of those thousand mile trips were pretty gonzo since I was young and ambitious to cycle 1000 miles and 1194 miles in 9 days each and not do much else other than eat sleep and ride, the third one was 1288 miles in five weeks so was closer to my cross-USA ride.

So when I did my first cross-USA trip, I still had a mixture of excitement and some nervous jitters as I got everything underway at least a day or two prior to departure. However, once I was on the road it was all very familiar to things I had done many times before before and I quickly settled into routine and focused on the moment of cycling from day to day. Similarly, I had equipment well worked out and while I didn't end up needing it on it - I also passed enough post offices (to mail things home) or stores (to buy missing things) that it could all adjust if I hadn't gotten that together.
Old 05-17-12, 10:51 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
No one got hit on The 42 Ride. NY to LA 4200 miles on The Southern Route. 5,000 miles on The Northern Route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgPlc...eature=related

Rode at Night to beat the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNL16...eature=related

Old 05-17-12, 10:59 AM
staehpj1

I wanted to answer this honestly...

On a long tour, I am afraid of:
Getting hit by a car, riding along on a highway dosen't seem very safe to me. Are there safe roads? How do you cycle defensively to keep from getting injured or killed out there?
That is the most sensible reason for concern about touring I have heard. So often people are worried about all kinds of stuff that really isn't that much of a real threat. They worry about bears, snakes, bad guys, and so on. You have named the actual main risk with your concern.

I can say that traffic risks are pretty much the same threat you would have riding near home or maybe less depending on where you live vs where you tour. You do have choices on which roads you ride, so that helps some. I personally just accept that there is some risk and manage it as best I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.