Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB - Good quality sprung saddle for upright position

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 09:54 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

A friend would like to try a sprung saddle on the bike I built up for her, which is basically a chromoly framed step thru sport tourer with upright bars, and modern drive train. Budget is "as low as possible".

She loves the bike, but hasn't been able to find a saddle that quite works for her. She is convinced because of a mutual friend's advice that she needs a sprung saddle (even though she has a suspension seatpost). I am tempting her with the Brooks B190 (dual rail with lots of springs) but I know that $200 will be a budget buster.

Brooks B.190 saddle | wallbike.com

Her list of ideal attributes follow, potential saddles need not match everything, just letting you know her list:

1) Sprung. (she is pretty convinced that they must be compression springs and not expansion springs)

2) Wide.

3) Concave.

4) Padded.

I keep trying to talk her out of concave, but because all the saddles she has tried are convex, she is convinced that the .02% of saddles that are concave must have it right.

The saddle that the guy rides who has her convinced is a Worksman, but not one of the modern models, they are too convex.

Anyone have a saddle laying around that is the ultimate in plush saddles that does not match your aesthetic? This might be your chance to get it to a good home. Looks not too critical, but she is a classy lady, so nothing too trashy looking.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-15-16, 10:58 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Why buy used?

VO Saddle, Model 8 - Saddles - Components
Old 07-15-16, 11:00 AM
Gartenmeister

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not sure about "quality", but it is cheap. $25 & postage.

Old 07-15-16, 01:26 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Her odds of nailing a comfortable fit from a stash-pile donor are poor. I understand you're trying to help but she's maybe better served going to a good coop and testing some saddles? Or borrowing from friends? The criteria of plush-padded/sprung/concave(?) doesn't bring much to mind.

My go-to answer is B66. You can spend $30 on new padded junk or you can put out the money for quality, once she test drives one of course. Or other Brooks models. Lot's of cheaper sprung saddles on ebay too.