Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Old 03-26-17, 10:19 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 44 Posts
Yeah you just have to keep fooling yourself into thinking "just one more minute, then they'll ease up" or "just one more interval" when deep down you know you have 5 left.
Old 03-26-17, 10:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Yeah. Brutal. My only solace was seeing that some seriously strong riders even blew up before me. One of those races that requires either very narrow abilities (very good sprint 40+ times) or just crazy strong threshold to recover while still pushing 250-300 watts.
It also depends a ton on where you line up - on the back at the start? Good luck with that..

Lining up front row is huge at that race - it gets strung out at the first 180 and kind of never lets up.

my race videos
Old 03-26-17, 11:24 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by mattm View Post
It also depends a ton on where you line up - on the back at the start? Good luck with that..

Lining up front row is huge at that race - it gets strung out at the first 180 and kind of never lets up.
I got a second row lineup and probably front 3rd on the first lap. 2 laps in I was hurting and losing spots. 7 laps in and I'm literally on the back praying for a lap as slow as my finishing lap from cat 3 last year!

Would have been fun to see you there somehow hanging on at like 20 watts lower power by riding literally underneath other riders! Raul and Jeff hung on til the end. And apparently Raul can sprint indefinitely! Im amazed he got 5th after watching that video of the final corner

Last edited by aaronmcd; 03-26-17 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 10:59 AM
scheibo 
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UCSC Slugapalooza P123 - 4th/14(?)

Really tough course that means only masochistic climbers will enter: 20x(~5 minute climb, ~2:30 descent). I guess that's one way to guarantee I get in the VO2 repeats I'm usually loathe to do. 5 teammates in the field which made for the most i've ever had, in a race where teammates hardly matter. I was demoralized at reg though to see our strongest climber was there, which meant I already could tell he would just go off and I wouldn't be able to chase.

First lap was 'easy' (threshold up the climb), then some guy with non-team kit launched 'the attack' and our climber followed. I tried to bridge so we'd have 2:1, but didn't want to pull anyone else to my teammate so I wasn't able to make the juncture and just sat and blocked a bit for half a lap or so (which is potentially a little unfair, because as a Cat 3 I was wearing different color kit to my teammate up the road and it wasn't clear to everyone that I wasn't going to chase my teammate). Not that it really mattered, 'some guy' turned out to be a CX pro and my teammate up the road is crazy talented (competed in MTB junior WCs a while back) so it was clear they were gone. I *think* its possible if I had continued chasing I might have been able to grab a wheel, but I likely would have been shelled pretty soon after so its not like it made that big a difference. I set 1:30->5:00 best powers on that 2nd time up the climb when the attack occurred, but I think I still had more to give.

Going into the 3rd time up the climb the perhaps strongest pure climber in the race made a move and I jumped on his wheel. This guy is an insane climber, and given a 20-40minute 10%+ climb he'd shell anyone and everyone including the pro, but the climb in the race is more stair-steppy and not that steep so I was able to barely hold on. We spent 6-8 laps in front of the field and I was pretty sure we were fine to hold down 3rd and 4th place comfortably, but the field was actually closing and one guy bridged and then a lap or two later the remains of the field caught us. In retrospect, this was my fault - we weren't working like a breakaway. The climber would tear my legs off up the climb in an irregular spurty effort and then I'd lick my wounds on the descent, but I should have explained that we needed to ride threshold (or just a bit over) evenly up the climb while taking turns and then work the descent. As it was, I got tired out trying to follow his wheel up the climbs but our lap times weren't that quick overall because it was more like an interval workout than a measured effort.

It was pretty demoralizing to be back in the field (now reduced by about 4-5 people who were OTB) and *still* have half the race to go. When we got caught the pace slowed to a complete crawl for a couple laps, but even then I was pretty tired and wanted to drop out pretty much every time up the climb. I knew my best chances for a place were to make/follow an attack and get solo, but I just wanted to make it to the finish and was willing to chance the sprint I would probably inevitably lose just because I was so tired. With 4 laps to go, one of the pack launched an attack and the guy who had bridged to my break followed him, but I was tired and was hoping someone else would follow the move (there was still 4 laps left! why couldnt they have waited a lap or two!?). No one did, and by the time I realized that they already had too much of a gap for me to attempt to bridge. However, the guy who had initiated the attack blew himself up after a lap, meaning all was not lost (on the 'California podium' at least).

I put in a tiny acceleration with 3 laps to go, not as a real attack but mainly to see who was alive. (@Ygduf's patented 'fake attack' approach). Ygduf's favorite former teammate covered me, chastising that I needed to practice how to 'accelerate for longer'. He put in an attack going into 2 laps to go and I covered and then attacked past him, this time accelerating for real and going free, TTing the final two laps to finish 4th. I can only assume he thought my attack would be short lived like the 'previous' one. That, or the fact that almost any attack would work at that point as presumably everyone felt as horrible as I did.

Not a horrible placing in a tough race featuring P12s (including 30 min warmup, I got 290 TSS in 3 hrs...). I know I should have gone with the move that the 3rd place rider followed, but I'm not sure I would have beat him anyway. I'm interested to try the 'fake attack' approach Ygduf has been preaching more now that I've seen it in action, and I'm pretty happy I didn't succumb to the ever present urge to drop out that was pretty much constant throughout the race (I think the main reason I didn't is because I didn't want to lose face in front of my teammates, which is actually one of my main reasons for deciding to joining a team to begin with).
Old 03-27-17, 11:39 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
I think I remember you recently saying you had been setting power records in training and it almost felt too easy. Maybe I am misremembering but -- is there any chance your power meter is just reading too high? :/
it's certainly possible, but the calibration numbers have been very very steady. also, to say the power records have been easy is an understatement, I've been putting in the most focused few months of training ever the improvements have been incremental. also, this race was against a couple very strong cat 1s (collegiate A) and the power numbers are reasonable compared to what other people did.

https://www.strava.com/activities/914377086
Old 03-27-17, 12:18 PM
mattm
**** that

I got a second row lineup and probably front 3rd on the first lap. 2 laps in I was hurting and losing spots. 7 laps in and I'm literally on the back praying for a lap as slow as my finishing lap from cat 3 last year!

Would have been fun to see you there somehow hanging on at like 20 watts lower power by riding literally underneath other riders! Raul and Jeff hung on til the end. And apparently Raul can sprint indefinitely! Im amazed he got 5th after watching that video of the final corner
Ha, I wish I'd been there too - then again I DNF'd Santa Cruz last year (mostly out of fear, since it was wet - but was also suffering on the back at the time).

But yeah Raul's on fire and I'm hoping we can get him on the podium (or one of us) at Visalia next weekend!

my race videos
Old 03-27-17, 12:41 PM
aaronmcd

Based on the hypothesis that races always slow down right after I get dropped, I wasted some time on Strava collecting data and now consider it natural law.

Yesterday's crit lap times (not counting lap 1 which includes some sitting on the line time) from someone who sat in and finished:
first 7 laps avg = 1:47.6
next 7 laps avg = 1:50.5
next 7 laps avg = 1:54.1

I lasted 7 laps + 2 off the back
Old 03-27-17, 12:45 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah you just have to keep fooling yourself into thinking "just one more minute, then they'll ease up" or "just one more interval" when deep down you know you have 5 left.
I remember an interview with Levi? or some similar era US top pro where he said that all of cycling is about deluding yourself into thinking the pain will end just at the top of this little rise, or as soon as you pass that tree, etc, just chaining together tiny little goals until you get to the end of the workout or race.
Old 03-27-17, 12:59 PM
kmill23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vuelta dí Acadiana Road Race (Lafayette, Louisiana) Cat 1/2/3. 71 miles. 4th Place

I was out of town for work from Monday afternoon through Friday at 1:30AM. I got sick while on the trip and really didn't know whether I could complete the race or not--much less be competitive. I did a quick workout on Saturday with 3x90" efforts on the trainer and felt like crap--my HR was way high. With all of that weighing against me, I went into this race on Sunday just thinking I'd see if I could hang on to finish. I told myself I wouldn't do anything besides sit in.

There were 22 starters in the Road Race, with everyone EXCEPT me being on either team LaSport, Palmer/C-Spire, or 4D Racing. I lined up right at the front for the start and got rolling. There were the usual attacks from the get-go. With everyone being fresh, nothing stuck immediately. I wasn't feeling too great and I ended up shuffled right to the back.

Approximately 10-miles in a three-man break went with LaSport, Palmer/C-Spire, and 4D. I was at the back when I saw the break roll off the front. The pace plummeted in the group to 18-20 MPH. With all three teams represented in the break, I knew the blocking was on. I was stuck last wheel, so I had to work my way to the front over the next couple of minutes. By the time I made it to the front, the break was out of sight, but I attacked anyway.

When I had a chance to glance back, I had three other guys with me, another one from each team. I thought this was perfect since one of the guys is a pro triathlete and could certainly drag us to the main break if I petered out. Luckily I was able to continue to work and all four of us rotated for the next 6.3 miles to bridge the gap. When we made the juncture, there was a bit of discussion on which teams could work to preserve their team's GC positions. Finally, everyone figured out that they had something to gain from this move sticking, so the group started working decently well together.

After 20+ miles in this 7-man break, another two guys bridged up to us: another LaSPort and another Palmer/C-Spire guy. That put the count at: 3 Palmer/C-Spire, 3 LaSport, 2 from 4D and then me solo. But we still didn't have a time gap to any other chasers, so we all kept working a bit.

Finally with 15 miles to go, the moto told us we had a time gap of 3:50 to three chasers. Someone asked "How far back is the rest of the peleton?" The moto ref said "there is no peleton left!"

After that, the teams started attacking trying to whittle down the group. LaSport and C-Spire had cards to play with 3 each in the break. But before long, C-Spire was down to one with LaSport and 4D still with numbers.

With about 6 or 7 miles to go, 4D launched a solo from their TT guy and he was gone. He was certain to win at this point, no one wanted to chase and he was the strongest of the group. A few miles later he was back in the group of 6 with us and had road rash on his hip. Apparently he had taken a turn too hot and hit some gravel and gone down.

A few miles from the finish, it was apparent it would be a sprint from a group of 6. I knew I didn't have a chance in a sprint, but I had nothing left to attack. So I just covered the attacks and sat on wheels. I got beat by one from each team and I came around the remaining 'lead out' guys to take 4th.
Old 03-27-17, 01:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Great to see a race report from our area! I might have done it had I found out about it in time. Would've gotten crushed in M40+ anyway...

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-27-17, 02:07 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 86 Posts
Home race for my college this weekend involved a pretty flat, power climby type road course and TTT on Satuday and a hilly crit on Sunday.

Weather was pretty bad on Satuday for our field of 10 riders. 4/10 were on my team so that is always good to have. We poppedon pretty early and one much later in the race so it was down to a field of 8. Nothing was ever able to get away on this course as it was too slow in one part and too fast in the other section due to winds and where the climbs were located. SPrint was coming and I jumped at about 2k to go. Thought the group was tired based on how slow everyone was moving over the top. Looked back and I hadn't even made a gap. Lined back onto a teammates wheel and rested but he got gapped at about 300m to go so I ended up 6th out of group of 8. Best on our team finished 4th I think. Bit disapointed since we had numbers and I felt really good at the end.

TTT was hord out, easy back due to winds. Ended up second in the Mens A field.

Crit was fun. Again, nothing going to get away due to the course (the seward park course for anyone familiar with the Seattle race scene). I had to work a bit harder than normal in a crit s was feeling it by the hour. Never got a full recovery during the race, but that is okay, it just happens. Was lined up on a good wheel for the last climb to the line and the group got swarmed on the front. The wheel I was on ended up winning and I got 6th since I ended up boxed trying to get aroudn the front. Oh well...

Next weekend in Bozeman, Montana should be fun with a 5k / 1500 ft finishing climb. We'll see who shows up but it could be a good one for my team.
Old 03-27-17, 02:46 PM
kmill23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
Great to see a race report from our area! I might have done it had I found out about it in time. Would've gotten crushed in M40+ anyway...
The 40+ was pretty stacked. Friend of mine was getting back into racing and had registered for 40+. I talked him into Cat 4 instead. He was happy with his choice.
Old 03-31-17, 09:08 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Is That My Knee or Your BB Vets (Masters) 40+ Open, Fenwick Scotland, 7th of 50.

Race was last Saturday. It was essentially a bunch of laps between two roundabouts for a total of 36 miles. Kind of a flat-ish circuit race. There wasn't much wind and never any way to get out of sight, so although a lot of us gave it a go at getting away, the breaks were doomed.

We had two massive crashes; one halfway through and the other at the back of the field at the finish. I think it was a case of a big, fast field on a not selective enough course.

My takeaway here was the same as it was in my first race (4th in a field sprint); I have to be more mindful of positioning, especially coming into the last K. I've spent the last couple of years not being disciplined about staying to the front, and staying laser focused on it has been good so far this year.
Old 04-02-17, 06:50 PM
aaronmcd

CCCX "hotdog" circuit course, cat 2/3

Apparently my derailleur hanger was bent and only decided to act up for today's race. Chain would come off the pulleys any time I shifted to the larger half of my cassette. And was acting up in the 11 as well. So I did this whole race in the small ring on the way out/headwind and big ring in the tailwind. Carefully watching my gears. And lots of spinning too fast and responding slow due to chain issues. Scheibo got in the break of 4, a couple guys crashed out, and a couple guys got dropped leaving 8 in the pack. Responded too slow in the sprint and got 8th overall.

And possibly due to chain issues I was pushing more watts than usual, 268 AP, 339 NP. Another NP record. Just gotta get that hanger drilled out and replaced and maybe I'll be almost fast enough lol
Old 04-03-17, 10:17 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 86 Posts
This wekeend in MT was pretty bad. At altitude(4-6k feet) and fighting a cold/allergies that hsa now turned into a sinus infection. Hung with the guys over the first clim band got popped in the cross winds on the first of 2 laps of the 33 mile lap. Went to the car and slept fora few hours and then pulled the TTT for our guys. We ended up second by a small margin.

Crit came in feeling okay with a bit of a cough. Warmups went well and I somehow took the KOm for the crit course on the first lap of the race, not sure how that happened... About 20 minutes in I overcooked one of the hard corners and ended up in the gravel. Ended up on the back of the 11 man group yo-yoing until I popped about 10ish minutes later. Pulled out and cooled down for about 10 minutes to see one of my teammates chasing up the break for 3rd place. The winner of the race ended up getting relegated for causing a crash I didn't see. So he finishes 2nd. He will be in the overall leaders jersey for the conference next week which should be pretty cool to get to race in protection of a jersey.

2 more weeks of collegiate, a week off, then nationals. it's coming up quick. Want to get over this infection and get back to it. We have a conference to win.
Old 04-03-17, 02:50 PM
scheibo 
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CCCX #3 Bayview Circuit 2/3 - 4/16

From scouting the start list I knew there was a strong 19yo that would probably be the important rider to watch. My goal was to follow his moves and not let any break with him in it get away. Having two teammates helped a bit with this, as I didn't have to chase every single break. In the end, I was right to be marking the kid as we got away in a group of 4 and held it for 15 minutes to the end where I promptly got mugged in the sprint. I think I knew that result would happen the second the break got away - *maybe* I could have taken the guy who came 3rd off the back and jumped around to eliminate him with a lap to go, but my best hopes for winning was that only the strong guy and I got away and then he got a mechanical or something in the final lap.

CCCX #3 Bayview Circuit 3/4 - ugh

My sixth time racing this circuit in two months and after escaping in breakaways the last 5 times it seems my competitors got wise to this. One large team of 6 or 7 riders who I'd managed to embarrass last go round by riding away from them solo decided to wise up and have their entire team marking me at all times. One of them jumped over me after I had attacked and I spent half the race trying to attack to bridge up to him but the team took turns covering every move I made (it was windy enough that with a draft it wasn't that bad to cover moves). Fair play to them, just frustrating AF and I'm upset no other riders decided to take it upon themselves to bridge or pull back the move (how are so many people just OK with letting the win ride away?). After 30 minutes I got fed up/tired and rage quit, just sat at the back and waited for the sprint which I'd come like 5th in or something stupid. On the final 180 I took the corner wide and ran off the road into the gravel. I managed to stay upright, but I was now OTB and slowed to a stop. 12/20, I think. Stupid race. I know you can't win them all, but it was a very unpleasant experience with such negative racing.
Old 04-03-17, 03:13 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job in the 2/3 race, anyway! Sorry the other race was a drag.

Originally Posted by scheibo View Post
such negative racing.
aka "racing." You're obviously strong but racing is about more than just clubbing everybody else to death with watts. I actually think that being above-average strong often contributes to some culture shock and readjustment like what you are describing. Everybody else has to learn to be sneaky and strategic earlier in their career, so the bummer stage is shorter for us.

The really impressive guys are the ones who are strong enough to be marked every time they show up, and still find ways to win.
Old 04-03-17, 03:18 PM
mattm
**** that

You know the feeling when you win a race?? Well, this is the exact opposite of that.

Visalia crit pro/1/2 - got crashed out with 3 to go.. =[

Long story short the race was hard but was going well. Coming in to the final laps I was jockeying for an oft-winner's wheel, kind of hovering behind their leadout train. Someone else was doing the same, felt like it was his wheel, and basically pushed me to the outside in a turn, in to someone else, taking out my front wheel.

Bunch of road rash, no broken bones at least. Frame has a small crack on the top tube, shifter is smashed, and somehow one of my (carbon) cranks is cracked too!

The good news I've been looking for an excuse for a new bike, and now I have it.

my race videos
Old 04-03-17, 03:37 PM
scheibo 
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
aka "racing."
the other team played it properly getting their man up the road, but i dont condone any of the other rider's decisions to never attempt to attack or bridge or take advantage of the fact that i was being marked. it just is dumb for them not to race for the win, especially when the gap is less than 20s for most of the race to a solo rider. i agree that their best chance for a good place is to sit in and do nothing and let me thrash about, but its guaranteeing they dont win, which is the point of racing.

can't wait to get my upgrade points and then proceed to never race any race with less than 6000ft elevation again. idgaf if thats a bad attitude
Old 04-03-17, 03:41 PM
scheibo 
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
The good news I've been looking for an excuse for a new bike, and now I have it.
good that your not seriously injured! are your wheels OK? what bike are you going to get?
Old 04-03-17, 03:57 PM
mattm
**** that

the other team played it properly getting their man up the road, but i dont condone any of the other rider's decisions to never attempt to attack or bridge or take advantage of the fact that i was being marked. it just is dumb for them not to race for the win, especially when the gap is less than 20s for most of the race to a solo rider. i agree that their best chance for a good place is to sit in and do nothing and let me thrash about, but its guaranteeing they dont win, which is the point of racing.

can't wait to get my upgrade points and then proceed to never race any race with less than 6000ft elevation again. idgaf if thats a bad attitude
One thing to keep in mind is not everyone is on the same level, even if they're in the same category. You're probably stronger than most of them - they might want to attack/help, but are happy to not get dropped and are fine with racing for the field sprint.

It's possible they are strong enough and don't want to help/attack, of course, but don't assume that's the case just because they're in the same race as you.

my race videos
Old 04-03-17, 04:05 PM
scheibo 
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean - I made mistakes. I only had 50 minutes between the 2/3s which was hard and the 3/4s. I also probably was a little cocky and figured it would be as easy as always. I should have been more targeted and clinical with my attacks. The thing was, I know how easy it is to stay away on that course so I wasn't willing to sit and waste time while first place walked away. I think I could have had a better shot at 2nd if I had been patient, sat and waited for the peloton to grow the balls to attack and then attack over them when people were tired. However, I don't want second. In some races, sure. Especially if I feel the person in first is 'deserving' aka stronger than me. But I don't like settling for second when I am the strongest rider there.

I understand this is bike racing. I like that fact about bike racing when I'm not the strongest person and I'm racing P12s and I can beat people who I rode smarter than, but TBH i'd still prefer if it was like running or a hill climb where the strongest person almost always wins.
Old 04-03-17, 04:09 PM
mattm
**** that

good that your not seriously injured! are your wheels OK? what bike are you going to get?
man I hope the wheels are ok.. nothing majorly obvious there, but I haven't inspected them yet.

I have a buddy who got me the Tarmac (for free), maybe he's got something else he can throw my way. Otherwise not sure, but probably another Specialized.

my race videos
Old 04-03-17, 04:11 PM
mattm
**** that

TBH i'd still prefer if it was like running or a hill climb where the strongest person almost always wins.
TTs can offer that, but road racing is different (lucky for me!)

my race videos
Old 04-03-17, 04:15 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand this is bike racing. I like that fact about bike racing when I'm not the strongest person and I'm racing P12s and I can beat people who I rode smarter than, but TBH i'd still prefer if it was like running or a hill climb where the strongest person almost always wins.
I think one of the great things about bike racing is that strongest is quite variable. A racer that is strong in a hill climb might not be the strongest in a flat tt or the strongest in the last lap of a crit and so on.

In the 3/4 race above, the guy that won was strong enough to stay away and was probably their selected racer. If you'd completed the bridge up to him and even brought the whole field with you, would they have had other strong riders that could have countered and stayed away solo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.