Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Steve Thornhill

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Steve Thornhill

Old 11-08-19, 08:01 AM
Johnnybikes

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Flandria, Pinarello Montello Cromonero, schwinn world sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Steve Thornhill

This is the second bike I picked up yesterday along with the mystery blue bike. Steve Thornhill, Columbus sticker again, Campagnolo everything, looks to be a 1980 according to the RD. The custom lugs are beautifully done. I wish were a little bigger.
This is a really nice bike, very well made. I wonder if the fork is original. Not a lot to go off of on internet for this one.

Likes For Johnnybikes:
Old 11-08-19, 09:01 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 1,763 Posts
Beautiful, should clean up nice.
Old 11-08-19, 09:11 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
The details look like a Viner: star cutouts, Prugnat lugs, double tapered seatstays, bb shell.
Old 11-08-19, 09:22 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Portacatena dropouts place the bike between 1977 and 1983, or maybe 1984 if there were old stock dropouts being used. I would guess the Campy components are original and can date the bicycle exactly if they all match up. To me the styling of the frame places it more in late 70s than early 80s.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 11-08-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 10:29 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Nice! But I'm with you and wonder if the fork is original. Are the ends filed the same way as at the rear dropouts? They appear rounded on the fork and concave at the rear - plus the aero fork crown looks out of place on a bike with gear cable guides brazed on to of the shell.

Still and all a cool looking bike with lots of nice details.

DD
Old 11-08-19, 10:49 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Saw this in another forum...
"Steve Thornhill used to have a shop in Selly Oak Birmingham though must be at least 15 years since it closed down. Sold frames branded as his but I'm pretty sure they weren't built by him just badged up. I'm thinking possibly they were built by Mercian, they certainly built for a Birmingham shop but I could have that bit wrong."
Old 11-08-19, 10:51 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Good, you got this one too! I was hoping you had.

Reminds me of @Drillium Dude's Sparrow a bit. I was also questionable on the fork from the pic with the (Witcomb?)

Anyway, good scores. Any interest in sharing how much both set you back? You manage to score anything else from this stash?
Old 11-08-19, 02:54 PM
Johnnybikes

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Flandria, Pinarello Montello Cromonero, schwinn world sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Good, you got this one too! I was hoping you had.

Reminds me of @Drillium Dude's Sparrow a bit. I was also questionable on the fork from the pic with the (Witcomb?)

Anyway, good scores. Any interest in sharing how much both set you back? You manage to score anything else from this stash?
I was able to score the two bikes, a vintage Silca floor pump, and a set of wheels with custom paint and decal nouvo record hubs, and a BB tool for $415. I could have kept going, but I felt greedy.
Likes For Johnnybikes:
Old 11-08-19, 03:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnybikes
I was able to score the two bikes, a vintage Silca floor pump, and a set of wheels with custom paint and decal nouvo record hubs, and a BB tool for $415. I could have kept going, but I felt greedy.
That's a smoking deal. Good job! Got it for less than half what it's probably all worth.

I don't believe in "greed" in these cases. My philosophy is, if the person is wanting to get rid of the stuff, buy it. You're often doing them a favor in their eyes. If they don't really want to sell or are feeling remorse before selling, you'll probably notice it in their eyes as you're negotiating it out and can react accordingly.

If you feel bad about buying it all, then turn around and sell it at a break-even to someone who really wants it, or at a [break-even + finders fee] price. "Share the wealth" and all. Whatever you don't buy, the next person may come along and butcher or part out or even destroy...
Likes For francophile: