Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 09:33 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I really don't mind washing by hand, so long as the sink is properly designed. I hate the one in my house right now, but unfortunately I can't do anything about it as a renter.
I am the dishwasher in the rjones28 kitchen.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-23-20, 09:34 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
This new thing is reportedly worse than those viruses. I read a couple first hand accounts and it sounds awful.
Definitely. It does not sound like a good way to go.
Old 03-23-20, 09:34 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut
We get raw milk directly from the farm.
Old 03-23-20, 09:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
re;facebook. I go on it daily. Some fun stuff and I make small connections with friends I rarely see. The political stuff, however, can be nauseating.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-23-20 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Politics
Old 03-23-20, 09:42 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Uh oh, company wide video meeting @ 2:00.
Old 03-23-20, 09:42 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
. In other words, I think most people are doing their best most of the time. All that fatalistic stuff said, I think we can still work with people by trying to understand them (you obviously do) and bringing them along respectfully.
I must admit I fully support the way China handled their non-compliant individuals who refused to protect themselves and were a menace to society, they physically arrested them and took them off the streets. And frankly I don’t care what they did to those individuals, they were a menace to society. Bringing recalcitrant people along respectfully is not an option at this point in time.

As you are fully aware we CANNOT allow our medical systems to become overwhelmed to the point where they have to make decisions about who lives and who dies.

Just saying, I like the way China handled it.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-23-20 at 11:20 AM.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-23-20, 09:46 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I read recently that Ramen has no business being classified as food.
It’s still food, just not good for you. Same as a lot of soups loaded with salt like good old Campbell’s chicken noodle that was force fed to most of us as children.

Old 03-23-20, 09:47 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
re;facebook. I go on it daily. Some fun stuff and I make small connections with friends I rarely see. The political stuff, however, can be nauseating. There are people on my friend list who are supporters of the current administration and some of them go to extreme right-wing pages and those conversations end up on my newsfeed.
I never knew there was so much hatred in the US! It's amazing how blindly people will follow someone or some idea to the point that anyone who disagrees with them or even challenges their leader is hated and demonized and labeled with insulting names.
I have refused to sign up for facebook. Right from the start it seemed like a huge time sink. A lot of people on social media get hooked on getting "likes" or "follows", and they say and do crazy stuff just to get attention.

I use Twitter somewhat - if you carefully choose who you follow, you can avoid all of the crazy stuff. Things like "National Weather Service", "National Hurricance Center", "State Police", "State Highway Dept", "Governor", and so forth. It can be informative, but it isn't exciting.
Likes For ericy:
Old 03-23-20, 09:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I must admit I fully support the wat China handled their non-compliant individuals who refused to protect themselves and were a menace to society, they physically arrested them and took them off the streets. And frankly I don’t care what they did to those individuals, they were a menace to society. Bringing recalcitrant people along respectfully is not an option at this point in time.

As you are fully aware we CANNOT allow our medical systems to become overwhelmed to the point where they have to make decisions about who lives and who dies.

I understand what you're saying and share your anger at the people flouting the orders, but my take is that it's hard to pick and choose the things you like about repressive systems. I think they tend to be all or none-ish. We pay the "price of freedom" all the time with cars, guns, environmental spoliation, alcohol, tobacco, and the all the other risky pursuits we love.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-23-20, 09:51 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Commie!

Old 03-23-20, 09:55 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by ericy
I use Twitter somewhat - if you carefully choose who you follow, you can avoid all of the crazy stuff. Things like "National Weather Service", "National Hurricance Center", "State Police", "State Highway Dept", "Governor", and so forth. It can be informative, but it isn't exciting.
My Twitter interest and use throughout the year matches this chart almost exactly, with another peak during hurricane season:

Old 03-23-20, 09:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I think that I need want a vise for my drill press.
Old 03-23-20, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WhyFi
....but tilting or compound sliding... Hmmm.
Old 03-23-20, 09:58 AM
WhyFi

....but tilting or compound sliding... Hmmm.
Does it have to be "or"?
Old 03-23-20, 09:59 AM
ls01
he said member

I must admit I fully support the wat China handled their non-compliant individuals who refused to protect themselves and were a menace to society, they physically arrested them and took them off the streets. And frankly I don’t care what they did to those individuals, they were a menace to society. Bringing recalcitrant people along respectfully is not an option at this point in time.

I understand the anger. The absolute, head in the sand denial of what is happening. Like those little douchbags on spring break.
Nobody did squat.
Old 03-23-20, 10:01 AM
ls01
he said member

If you have a drill press, a vice is a need. It's for safety.
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-23-20, 10:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
What are you drilling holes in?
Old 03-23-20, 10:12 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Yep. Not a want.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-23-20, 10:16 AM
WhyFi

What are you drilling holes in?
Anything that'll fit under the bit.

Primarily wood.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-23-20, 10:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ls01
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. Not a want.
I have a ton of clamps, naturally, and I've been using them, but they're a PITA for smaller pieces.
Old 03-23-20, 10:21 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Thanks all. I just socially isolated my team at work by commandeering two unused exam rooms. One is now labelled Neuro Office and the other is labeled Neuro Receiving. I've told the three people working with me to spend the majority of their time hanging out in those two rooms.

I was so mad on Saturday- I rode solo and talked a couple of friends out of their plans to go out in small groups. At the time, we still had the 6 foot social distancing mandate and no groups larger than 10. But the "no groups larger than 10" mandate was bunk, and the friends I told about that heeded what I said and rode a trainer or just with household members.

I rode solo but worried the whole time about whether I was being selfish, what if I got injured? So I changed my route and headed back into town to get on the bike path and then head home.

On my way out of town, I saw a group ride, double paceline of around 20 riders in full team kit, our most prominent racing club in town, people I'm personally "friends" with. When I got home, I texted the owner of the shop who sponsors that club and asked him if he was on the ride.

He told me no, he had no idea who that could have been. He himself went out on a ride of only 4 people. Then he texted me a pic of the other 3 people he rode with. I told him OMG you don't have to send me photographic proof, we're friends and as such I automatically believe you. I told him: however you really need to tell these guys that if they're going to do something like that to not do it in your kit, it reflects very badly on you and your business. He commented back that there was no official ride posted, which is when I knew that he knew in advance that the ride was happening.

Then a few hours later, I get a Strava follow request from someone who I thought already followed me, I went to Strava to investigate further and noted that my friend the Shop Owner posted his ride to Strava and he was indeed on that group ride. No answer to my WTF? text. He's not even a very good liar it seems, or else he cares more about Starva kudos than he cares about any relationship with me.

The next day, out on the bike path I saw one of the other guys who had been out on that ride. A smart guy- literally a rocket scientist who works for JPL. I rode up beside him and said Hi and then asked him what the group was thinking when they did that ride the day prior.

He responded that the ride "just sort of coalesced". I asked him if he felt ok about being in violation of the current county public health order at the time. He told me "technically" they were not in violation. I replied they were- that was a large group. He said it "was not more than 10". Lol he starts riding slower trying to get away from me. Am I making you uncomfortable? I call BS on that, told him I saw them out riding and it was 20 guys. He insisted it wasn't, it "was not more than 10" (which is beside the point even if true because they were riding 6 inches apart). I told him that I hoped no one got sick as a result and that the ride did not spread disease in our community. Then I let him drop off behind me and I left him alone.

So all that sounds great, I got to speak my piece. But I honestly don't have the energy to be calling people out like that repeatedly. Plus now I guess I have to look for a new shop, a new mechanic. Its just all so distressing.

But I will drop the subject now, because as @WhyFi said: what are you going to do? And most of these friendships were really superficial logistical friendships anyway. There's no point in gnashing teeth over something that cannot be changed.
Old 03-23-20, 10:23 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I need some group advice as to how to structure my brain and emotions re: our COVID lockdown.
Mostly I think it makes me angry because these are trivial pleasures people are chasing vs the huge impact this has on lives- people dying from the virus, healthcare workers pushed to their breaking point, all the terrible economic impact made worse than it needs be. I see my friends who live a relatively privledged life unable to make relatively tiny sacrifices- just stay home and don’t interact with anyone outside your household- they are unable or unwilling to do that. Damn the consequences to others and to our society.

If I could just stay home, I would. I’d turn off the information stream and just stay home and ignore it all to cope. But I can’t do that, I have to go out into the world, and at work I have to organize other people to try to keep them safe. So I find myself angry a lot, and in disbelief of what I see people doing. And when they’re people I know and formerly liked, now I find myself not liking them much.

So I need some advice as to how to see this and not be angry half of everyday. Maybe I just won’t be able to see some friends in the same light anymore, and I just need to accept that?
My grandmother was an ocean of zen-like calm and she lived to 101. Her mother, my great grandmother, lived to 105. I conclude that maintaining a certain amount of equanimity at appropriate times is good for you. This is not the same as ignoring what is going on. I understand that seeing others putting people at risk risk is distressing but as has been noted there is considerable stupidity around. In the face of a life threatening event inappropriate behavior and response is much likelier to result in death. However, a society that would lock such people up is a danger itself.
Likes For berner:
Old 03-23-20, 10:26 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Much as it sucks, I’ve stuck a moratorium on non-essential purchases until things settle down. Which of course only makes things worse, when done en masse.
Old 03-23-20, 10:31 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The more I see of what people put on FB, the less I like most of them.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-23-20, 10:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
There were no eggs to be had locally for a week or so, but we've got some stock on hand, now. Some stores, like Target, are limiting customers to 1 or 2 dozen eggs.

WinCo has a whiteboard next to the front door listing the staples they're out of. Was kinda nice yesterday to see eggs up there instead of running the gauntlet through to the back of the store just to see empty egg coolers.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.