Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Specialized Speed Zone not accurate

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 03:09 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts

I have a specialized speed zone that adds about a 10th of a mile every 3/4 of a mile give or take. I am certain the set up is correct in all aspects. Are these things just that bad or what. My wife has a bontrager of the same type that is spot on. Any help is appreciated..
Old 03-29-20, 07:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Never compare two or more devices. That will drive you nuts.

Probably the wheel calibration isn't set right. If you just entered something you got out of the book, well that's okay, but might not be what your tire is. You need to do a rollout and measure. Put a spot of white out or something on your tire that uses the wheel sensor and ride it for a few turns of the wheel and then measure the spots. Use that for figuring out what the circumference is and use that value. Note what your tire pressure is because if you are going to be picky enough not to be satisfied with the discrepancy you are currently seeing, then tire pressure will make a difference too.

Are these things just that bad or what
No, not really. Just quite a few people expect too much. And it gets worse with bean-counters as they move to more expensive cyclometers with gps and mapping . They feel they paid good money for a recreational device and they want survey quality accuracy.

Oh... and you'd be surprised a the difference that you might see between two riders were one always swings wide on turns and the other stays close to the inside....... so don't expect others to match yours.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-29-20 at 07:29 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-29-20, 11:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Agree about the bed for a roll out. The same tire will come out to different sizes on different rims, even at the same pressure. The size printed on the tire isn't always accurate either, some are bigger than claimed, some smaller. Most people set this kind of computer up by looking up 25 mm in the booklet, as if all tires that say 25 mm are the same size in real life.