Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just signed into STRAVA! LOL!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just signed into STRAVA! LOL!

Old 05-12-20, 09:27 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Segments

It's fun to look at popular segments. On the SF Peninsula, Old La Honda is very much a benchmark climb. A friend wanted to ride it, see how he was doing against prior years, and he convinced me to join him.

Of roughly 4000 Strava users who rode up OLH that year, I was the 9th BRAVEST!
Old 05-12-20, 10:21 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I made the mistake of paying for the Strava Premium.
If you have Premium and a Heart Rate Monitor, Strava Premium will estimate your Wattage on a ride.
Well.... I didn't like the low wattage estimates I was getting for my Strava $60/year

So I purchased a Power Meter. Turned out that the Strava estimates were real close to actual.
So now I'm SURE I have low wattage, and that cost me a bunch more than $60.

I really do like Strava, even with my lack of watts

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-13-20, 12:39 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
If you have Premium and a Heart Rate Monitor, Strava Premium will estimate your Wattage on a ride.
Well.... I didn't like the low wattage estimates I was getting for my Strava $60/year

So I purchased a Power Meter. Turned out that the Strava estimates were real close to actual.
So now I'm SURE I have low wattage, and that cost me a bunch more than $60.

I really do like Strava, even with my lack of watts

Barry
Strava estimates watts even if not on premium/summit.
Old 05-13-20, 12:40 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
I like Strava but don't use it to track my miles. Strava consistently reports more miles than my bike computer. On bike rides it's reasonable, +/- 5%, usually +.

On walks and hikes it's outrageous. Regularly, after a 2-3 mi hike the mileage Strava shows is 5-7 mi. When you look at the map there will be several "jumps" where it appears you jumped a quarter mile to a half mile then back. Adding considerable mileage.

I've seen explanations for this but it doesn't matter. The numbers are unreliable. I think my bike computer can be within +/- 1% if you measure your wheel circumference regularly. But +/- 2% is fine with me.

I track my mileage in a spreadsheet and do a weekly summary for "fun".
Old 05-13-20, 12:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That sounds more like a really, REALLY inaccurate GPS in whatever device you're using. On a typical 10k run, my Apple Watch will be +/-0.1 miles from the Strava route estimate.
Old 05-13-20, 02:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
Strava estimates watts even if not on premium/summit.
Confirmed. And my *real* PRs were from 5 or 6 years before Strava existed.
Old 05-13-20, 02:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've been on Strava for years. It's an easy way to track hours and mileage, and the social aspect is nice. It's also a nice way to see what routes friends are riding.

It's also made for some diversion during the pandemic: a local racer set up a social distancing time trial series. He measures out different distances on a local path, and then every Thursday you go out and ride it by yourself, whenever you want. Upload to Strava, and he awards points for your finishing position. You'd think it would be boring doing the same path every week, but each week it's a little different. Different distances, different directions, Merckx v. full aero.

Good times.
Old 05-13-20, 11:06 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Anybody know if there's a way to ignore trainer rides from your followings? I don't want to see fake rides in Mallorca and Scotland.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-13-20, 11:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

You can always set who can see your rides. I have my default set as private but make most of them visible to followers, some to all.
Old 05-14-20, 05:55 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
First ride breaking in the Brooks B17 with Strava...

https://www.strava.com/activities/34...urce=ios_share

What does breaking in a saddle have to do with a specific Strava recording?
Old 05-14-20, 07:21 AM
Dave9040

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My family uses Strava to share rides with each other.

We used to ride quite often as a family when my children were younger. Now they are all married and not living close by. We have all been of the bikes for at least 5 years(10 years for me). So 2 of my daughters and I are using Strava to challenge each other to ride further than the other. Right now my youngest daughter(22yo) is in the lead. I told her to "watch out" because her lead won't last long, I'm gonna surpass her real soon.

It is a great way for us to rekindle the memories of all the rides we did in the past.

Last edited by Dave9040; 05-14-20 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 08:46 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve been on Strava for a while mostly to keep track of myself. Just for ****s and giggles I signed into one of their challenges for the month of May. Something like, ride for 30 hours for the month and get a virtual trophy in your Strava trophy case. There are people on there with over 130 hours logged for the month already. They’re saying they ride for 10 hours a day? Lol! Long story short, don’t take other people on Strava too seriously.
Old 05-14-20, 09:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
I have heard a few tales of people who drove to a route start, did a ride, and forgot to turn off Strava, which recorded the drive home. Some amazing times and speeds on those segments.
Old 05-14-20, 10:01 AM
eagletree

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I use both Rouvy and Strava and sync them. Even with that much information, I still find both lack something so basic that I'm not sure how they missed it. They don't have a daily roll-up or view of all data, only miles, time and elevation. I would enjoy totals and averages of power, kj/calories, cadence on a daily basis since I do morning and evening rides. But, aside from that, I really enjoy having the information because that is why I ride. Those metrics are my motivation.

The OP mentioned that not being familiar with segments, but I find those to be the most useful in determining improvement. There are options to create your own if you ride where none exist. Then you can pick parts of a route you ride, and mark it off as a segment. This allows you to have some great control over the metrics you get back each time you move through that segment. Now I'm saying that, presuming you monitor GPS, power, HRM, cadence, and speed as I don't know how useful it would be without those. The segment can be a personal growth tool without it being competitive. I don't think it's totally relevant to measure yourself against others since that is just measuring genetics and environmental training, though it is interesting in a statistical sense within age groups. What is very relevant is using goals on segments and measuring against self. I'm starting to realize when I do that, that I can be focusing on technique improvements and not attempting to always do my all-out best on a PR, but rather establish a baseline and play with the variables. Wind factor was mentioned. It makes the same segment a different segment on a different day and destroys any consistency. I found that in winter, may as well have been on a different road and segment on a windy day. Comparisons weren't useful.
Old 05-14-20, 10:09 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Cheating 8-)

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have heard a few tales of people who drove to a route start, did a ride, and forgot to turn off Strava, which recorded the drive home. Some amazing times and speeds on those segments.
I rode to local transit train (BART) and had one awesome 60+Mph ride home. My KOM segment was quickly challenged and taken away from me.
Strava app let me clip the end of the ride to remove the offending segment so I didn't loose the whole ride.

Barry
Old 05-14-20, 12:45 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
What does breaking in a saddle have to do with a specific Strava recording?
It was my first time using both and Strava can serve as a verification of saddle break-in VS miles in the saddle.
Old 05-14-20, 12:52 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Way to go William! Keep it up.
Old 05-14-20, 12:58 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I used another tool, RoadBike Pro, for years, but the GPS tracking accuracy got really bad over the past year and the app itself was fairly limiting, so I finally moved to Strava this spring. I'm not into all the motivational aspects and social media sharing but have to say that even the basics are excellent - the GPS accuracy and granularity (individual segment tracking) is quite amazing. Excellent tool even in basic (free) form.
Old 05-14-20, 03:28 PM
caloso

This happens all the time. If you notice that you've done it yourself, you can crop the ride file. If you notice that someone else has done it, you can flag their ride.
Old 05-14-20, 10:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by eagletree
I use both Rouvy and Strava and sync them. Even with that much information, I still find both lack something so basic that I'm not sure how they missed it. They don't have a daily roll-up or view of all data, only miles, time and elevation. I would enjoy totals and averages of power, kj/calories, cadence on a daily basis since I do morning and evening rides. But, aside from that, I really enjoy having the information because that is why I ride. Those metrics are my motivation.
And unless you have specific sensors on your bike to measure those things, Strava cannot guestimate. Strava does estimate power numbers, based on I don't know what data, but since it is a guestimate, and extrapolation from other numbers, one cannot expect Strava to bother making even more imaginary calculations based on inferred and mostly imaginary data.

And there is no way Strava can know your cadence based on speed, distance, and elevation gain. I have never paid for Strava, so I don't know if the more expensive versions allow the rider to input that data or sync a power meter, cadence meter, bike and body weight .... I am sure there are programs out there which do, but maybe no the free versions.

Strava does, I believe estimate calories if you get the better versions ....

A lot fo that stuff you might be able to calculate yourself if you have the cadence counter, power meter, and know your weight.

I am sure that the bike electronics forum has more info (https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/, Pretty sure you can get a bike computer which will give handle all that data if you have the sensors.

The OP mentioned that not being familiar with segments, but I find those to be the most useful in determining improvement. There are options to create your own if you ride where none exist. Then you can pick parts of a route you ride, and mark it off as a segment. This allows you to have some great control over the metrics you get back each time you move through that segment. Now I'm saying that, presuming you monitor GPS, power, HRM, cadence, and speed as I don't know how useful it would be without those.
Well, not all of us are so obsessive .... I am obsessive just the right amount.

I agree segments can be great. I sometimes like tracking my performance over certain segments (mostly hills) but I don't have a power meter or use my HRM. If I am not pushing hard, why bother entering that segment into Strava? And Strava estimate wattage, so why pay big bucks for a power meter? For me it is enough to see how long it took me to climb the hill .... and if I want to get granular, I can open up Ride with GPS and look at a foot-by-foot record.

The segment can be a personal growth tool without it being competitive. I don't think it's totally relevant to measure yourself against others since that is just measuring genetics and environmental training, though it is interesting in a statistical sense within age groups. What is very relevant is using goals on segments and measuring against self. I'm starting to realize when I do that, that I can be focusing on technique improvements and not attempting to always do my all-out best on a PR, but rather establish a baseline and play with the variables. Wind factor was mentioned. It makes the same segment a different segment on a different day and destroys any consistency. I found that in winter, may as well have been on a different road and segment on a windy day. Comparisons weren't useful.
This is how I use them. I will never get KOMs because only the most athletic of the most athletic ever will .... and if I were one of them I'd likely be racing them on the weekends anyway ....

On the other hand, after climbing the same gentle inclines month after month, I can tell how I feel, whether it is a good or less good day, I know how the weather is, and I can tell if I feel like going hard or just getting up and over to get on with the ride .... since I don't ride specifically to maximize performance, I really don't need (or much use) segments any more. I know I cannot attack even short hills right now .... but that after playing with cadence , gearing standing and sitting, I can some days get up a given incline a little more quickly .... but with so many variables, most of them relating to personal health and energy levels on any given day .... meh.

I generally only use Ride With GPS lately, and only load rides into Strava if I am pretty sure I did a notable time on a favorite segment ... Maybe if I get some fitness back this year i will start using Strava more ... but lately all it tells me is that I am still slower than I used to be.

Old 05-15-20, 12:01 AM
eagletree

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
And unless you have specific sensors on your bike to measure those things, Strava cannot guestimate.

snip
I wasn't really looking for any estimations, I have all the sensors and power. I was just griping that I can't get a view in any product that will give me a day for calories including all of my workouts. Fitbit website is the only one and its part of the calorie calculation (for example for steps, stairs and activity not included in Rouvy/Strava/Roam) is notoriously weird. Even my Roam won't do it and it seems like such a simple thing to just create a daily report. I'm not overweight, but to me calories are one of the most interesting metrics of what I've accomplished in a day. I'm not sure about the other metrics (they already provide daily miles, elevation, and time), maybe average power, heart rate and cadence for a day's workouts would be fun too. I think I'm just used to computer applications that let you roll things up on custom time periods. Biking apps seem limited. And yes, a spreadsheet would easily be a solution, but I'm too lazy.

Yes, the calories are there but they come from the collection source, my Roam does it based on Power or Heartrate (for those who don't have a Power Meter) and Rouvy does it for my trainer rides, Strava just incorporates it in reports. I thought I recalled that it would show calories based on HRM data even for free accounts. Paying is most valuable when you have a Power Meter because it does provide the Fitness and Freshness report which seems fairly accurate.

Yes on losing interest in segments, I find myself smacking the buttons on the computer quite often to skip over the segment data when I'm in the middle of a ride, watching my metrics and the Segment screen overlays my ride data. It is fun to see if I can beat my best on a segment but sometimes irritating after you done it enough. I'm referring to starred segments and how the Wahoo computers present them in the middle of a ride.

I never attempt KOMs as I would have no chance whatsoever of competing with other athletes. Leaderboards in general are only interesting within age group because that is a metric of fitness in aging. Our age group on Strava are the best, because they wouldn't be on Strava if they weren't serious (unlike younger groups) so I'm not going to top the 65ers by any means, ever. By the time I got to high school, I realized there are those who are athletes and those who are not, no matter how much they practice, I'm one of the 'nots'. I totally ride for my own fitness, and the metrics and segments are interesting in my personal competition with self... all done in the shallow end of the pool. They are somewhat useful in determining recovery from serious health setbacks too, as I think you are suggesting. You go in for an operation and then can monitor how much you've bounced back. That's pretty valuable when you consider that the rank and file, as they age, just think they'll recover magically and do little to actively recover what they can of their fitness. At least with metrics and Strava-type apps, you have some awareness of if what you are doing is really bringing recovery.
Likes For eagletree:
Old 05-15-20, 05:52 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Yeah, KOMs eh. I've had a handful of them and subsequently lost them as there will always be someone sometime faster. I find it rather amusing to see a couple of posters on this site with their Strava achievements listed as their signature. Fair enough but will they edit said numbers when(and it's when not if) they lose their KOMs.
Old 05-15-20, 08:12 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
I do that a lot. Then have to Crop it later.
Old 05-27-20, 11:03 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
II really do like Strava, even with my lack of watts
Barry
Over 60, I am at my watts end, as well.

I am having trouble finding training/logging that is less intensive and fitness / rehab like in its nature than facebooky tri sport jock oriented.

Good to know that it correlates with the power meter.
Premium has gotten rather expensive if you are not OCD or a racer and the competitiveness is off putting.
I think the metrics can be useful in general fitness, and am saddened that they are now paywalling so much of them
Old 05-27-20, 09:20 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Say what you will about Strava-- discount any of the social media aspects if you'd like-- but the activity and equipment tracking make the whole thing worthwhile.

Also, Strava + Elevate = the numbers!! So, so many numbers!
i have but one bike. i can track that in my head.

strava...? we don't need no stinkin' strava.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.