Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 12:56 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Great pick up! Just fix that high stem post insertion. Smiles, MH
Oh yeah, thats on the list too ! LOL
Old 05-15-20, 12:58 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
That DeBernardi probably needs it’s own thread, so people who can tell you about it, have a much better chance of seeing it. 🙂

Excellent score there. 👍😎👍
Thank you. Should I put it in the classic & vintage section? I tried looking up info on it, didn't come up with too much. I got a lot of info on the Olympics but not much about the bike
Old 05-15-20, 01:03 PM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Scored this awesome old school SR BMX stem off a low-end Raleigh mountain bike! Popped it right onto the '87 Schwinn Sierra and it really completes the bike!
Likes For FujiSam:
Old 05-15-20, 02:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiSam
Scored this awesome old school SR BMX stem off a low-end Raleigh mountain bike! Popped it right onto the '87 Schwinn Sierra and it really completes the bike!
So you expect us to take your word for it?
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-15-20, 03:34 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiSam
Full shot please!
Old 05-15-20, 04:06 PM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Full shot please!
Sorry had to wait for the rain to stop before I could take a couple shots in daylight!

Likes For FujiSam:
Old 05-16-20, 01:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Have to admit to being somewhat tired of staying indoors. Decided to pull out some old stuff, clean it up, polish and re-purpose. I've had these milled calipers in 80% condition (once graced my burgandy-colored Davidson), so I cleaned, polished and painted them and installed them on the Bianchi. Test ride yesterday afternoon, and I ran into northbend on my return leg, too, so we chatted/caught up for about 20 minutes.

Calipers finished:

Mounted:

DD
Old 05-16-20, 03:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
H**Y CRAP!

Those are awesome.
Old 05-16-20, 03:21 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
My 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix restoration hit a snag today when I realized that the rear stays were off-center preventing the rear wheel from being centered in the seat stays so I built this simple fixture to hold the frame while I wrangled the 8'-0" 2x4.

Last edited by branko_76; 05-16-20 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-16-20, 03:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I've had these milled calipers in 80% condition ... so I cleaned, polished and painted them.
Painted? Like clear?
Old 05-16-20, 04:06 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Painted? Like clear?
Nah, there's blue paint in the arm millings to match the infill paint details on the rest of the Bianchi's parts. It was difficult getting it to show up in the photos...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 05-17-20, 12:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I have been messing with a 650b conversion on an 89 letour when i realized the rear spacing was pinched down to 120mm. While contemplaring what to do about it i decided an 81 miyata 912 in my basement might be a better candidate. I have sookes but no rims yet. The miyata was a very rough coop find and its mighty light.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-17-20, 04:52 PM
cog_nate 
"SURE!"

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Pulled some serious maintenance on a friend's Raleigh MTI 1000: tires and saddle replacements, BB tightening, brake work, overall lubrication, basket brace replacement:

I know it doesn't look awesomely glitzy, but this guy is a holy terror on bikes wear-and-tear-wise and this is as good as I'm willing to spruce it up for him... I mean, how in the world does a person destroy basket braces? I should have taken a "before" picture. You can see he also somehow snapped off the outer part of the driveside pedal cage.
Likes For cog_nate:
Old 05-17-20, 07:59 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
Just finished my Casati Gold Line. Beautiful Italian craftsmanship! Looking forward to many rides together!

aceves

Old 05-17-20, 10:06 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Have to admit to being somewhat tired of staying indoors. Decided to pull out some old stuff, clean it up, polish and re-purpose. I've had these milled calipers in 80% condition (once graced my burgandy-colored Davidson), so I cleaned, polished and painted them and installed them on the Bianchi. Test ride yesterday afternoon, and I ran into northbend on my return leg, too, so we chatted/caught up for about 20 minutes.

[lovely pics snipped]

DD
Wow. Those are fantastic, Jeff.

'Skeleton' ain't got nothing on these. Much more elegant, and painstaking to do I'm sure.

Maybe one day I'll have to consider drillium-ing up the Mercian...some red accents would certainly complement the lug-lining on that one...

With all the weirdness in the world right now, at least we've had some good runs of weather to get out and ride in this part of North America, eh?
Old 05-18-20, 07:27 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Bridgin’

De-winterizin’ the trailer...drain plugs can kinda be a pita because of the coziness of all of the other elements in the area...my Park Tool 24mm wrench fit perfectly!

Dupe, orphan 24mm wrench gonna join the “trailer tool family tool box”...everybody gets a tool box...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 05-18-20, 09:01 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
My 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix restoration hit a snag today when I realized that the rear stays were off-center preventing the rear wheel from being centered in the seat stays so I built this simple fixture to hold the frame while I wrangled the 8'-0" 2x4.

Very nice!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-18-20, 12:38 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Replaced the shifter cable with a matching gold one and used a classic brass crimp to install the cable at the hub.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-19-20, 05:21 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
So, my beater/weather/fitness bike, my ol' Cannondale M500, had a set of 1.25" tires on it, which were awesome and made the bike feel real spiffy. Funny, though, how one little incident can change my perception of a bike.
I was on my little Covid loop, and pedaled through a corner when my right pedal scraped the road. This was a little unnerving, as I wasn't really leaned over all that far, and I'd taken that corner many times with that same bike, on those same tires, without issue.
So, with looming thoughts of a broken frame or some other serious malady in mind, I stopped to check out the bike. No obvious problems. Dropouts, frame joints, tire/fender/brakes maintained their usual relation to each other... I shrugged and got back on, noticing that the pedals were awful close to the ground on the downstroke (tires were at a good pressure).
I think I just never noticed before. When I came back to that corner (side loop in the neighborhood), I noticed that the numerous construction and utility trucks in the area appeared to be pushing up the asphalt on the corner, and this is what I'd hit. I never noticed the ground-to-pedal clearance before because I'd never really looked.

So... this afternoon, I pulled off the narrow rubber and installed my 2" Rubenas. Well, crap. I should have done this in the first place, due to the bike's slightly small size for me, the bigger rubber did a lot to bring the whole thing further into my comfort zone. Only issue was that I had to remove the rear fender, but I can figure something out for that... as it's my foul weather bike.
So, they may be a little slower, but I'm not really racing or anything on this bike anyway.

The leading edge of the front fender gives a great idea of how much vertical clearance I gained with the fatter tires. More so, actually, as it's top and bottom. I look forward to trying it out... heck, it brings my effective gear ratio up a little, too.

Last edited by velojym; 05-19-20 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For velojym:
Old 05-20-20, 08:14 AM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Just picked up this Bridgestone T700, Just need to source a seatpost, wrap the bars and ride.

I'm thinking it is a 27.0 seatpost but not sure. Pictured is a 27.2 that went in about an inch with grease and what seemed like too much effort.....

27.2 seems **pretty** snug
Old 05-20-20, 01:45 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Here for your viewing pleasure , a 1978? Austro Daimler Vent noir.

It came into the Bike Exchange as a frame and fork. As soon as I saw it I grabbed it and brought it home. This was a time when European mfg’s were starting to use Japanese components on some of their high end bikes . Although this one came with Forged Shimano dropouts and fork ends I decided to outfit it with a mixture of high quality bits, starting with Suntour Superbe brakes and levers, and Superb derailleurs. Also by Suntour it sports a 12-28 tooth 7 speed freewheel and Symetric self adjusting down tube shifter. For wheels I used a set of Mavic rims on Campi hubs with our house tire EVO 700 x 28’s.. The crank is by Specialized with 42- 52 teeth and a drilled outer chain ring which I found in the pile some time ago and have been dying to use.. The stem is a Specialized which fits the oversized Cinelli bar diameter perfectly.

When I first handled the frame it felt rough. When I got it home I cleaned everything then rubbed it out with 3m white polishing compound , being careful not to wipe off the decals. Looking closely at the paint it looks like there are tiny pits in it. Rubbing it out greatly improved the look and feel. I think a clear coat would really make it pop.

The bike as pictured has been loosely assembled just to see what works. My next step will be to take all the hardware back off and clear coat the frame with Rustoleum clear Automotive enamel. I would really like to know what the original paint was. The frame appears to be fully chromed with a semi transparent coating over it to get a black chrome look. I really don’t want to spray anything on the frame that would damage the finish. If anyone has had experience with this model please let me know. I will post more pictures when everything is finished.

My Austro-Daimler "Vent Noir II" Bicycle And Brief History of Steyr Daimler Puch good history and description
Old 05-20-20, 07:36 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
I have a 1976 Vent Noir that originally came with the black Dura Ace group with the first gen Crane rear derailleur. I have since changed it over to some later model Dura Ace components and 9 speed

Microshift STI's. Love riding this bike and the 531 frame is great. Not sure I like the gold wheels, but it is a set I had laying around to get the bike rolling for this season. I need to clear coat the frame also, but kind of like the original finish on it.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 05-21-20, 05:18 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Day two wrenching on the MB-4. Today was polish, new dt decals, and wax plus wheels rebuilt. That was the closest to the original dt decal I could find. Velocals only had this and not the original white with black shadow.
IMG_2803 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2804 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_2806 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-21-20, 10:49 PM
Dr Bianchi

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Just got this Bottecchia any one know what year and has a copy of catalog need to paint the top bar,

Likes For Dr Bianchi:
Old 05-22-20, 12:54 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Bianchi
Just got this Bottecchia any one know what year and has a copy of catalog need to paint the top bar,

The decal on the down tube between the shifter bosses, looks like a 80th anniversary Carnielli sticker (1909-89) so guessing its a 1989 one. That is probably the most sought after year for those bikes as 1989 was the year Greg Lemond won the Tour De France riding for Bottecchia,(he also rode a re-badged carbon TVT frame for the mountain stages). That race was one of the closest finishes to the race ever, in the final stage Greg opted to fit aero bars to his Bottecchia, the first time this was done at a critical stage of a major race I think, and by doing so and riding his heart out he overturned Fignon's lead to win the race by only 8 seconds. And due to Mr Armstrong being juiced to the eyeballs and struck from history, Greg still remains the last American to win the Tour. The 30th anniversary of that famous win was last year of course. The bike also features the Cinelli spoiler bottom bracket, the first bottom bracket shell to significantly resolve the problem of corrosion caused by water residue in the bottom bracket area of steel tubes.

That all adds a nice bit of history and extra kudos to the bike, I've not got any catalogues, but the top tube should be red the same as the down tube.
Likes For botty kayer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.