Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why are there more patches than cement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why are there more patches than cement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 02:09 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
New, unopened tubes of cement can & will dry out.
It won't dry out if it's unexpired and has not been damaged so air can get in.
Old 06-01-20, 02:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
I remember buying Rema patch kits in these convenient green plastic boxes. Overtime, I’d see different brands, at the LSB cash register, sitting there like candy at the grocery store checkout. Needless to say, I’d pick up a patch kit, knowing that the cement was probably dried out In my current kit.

Well with time on my hands I decided to repair a few punctured tubes. I discovered I had stashed a bunch of patches in a little Tupperware container and repurposed the little boxes for small parts. I figure I typically have 4-5 patches left over per box with dried out cement, and a current surplus of 40 patches

I searched the Forum, and the cement issue has been discussed. I don’t think my leftovers are excessive, instead it’s a conspiracy. I think I‘m getting a value, but the manufacturer is stiffing me on the cement. An extra tube of cement is 20 cent less then the price for kit with 7 patches (on Amazon).

Anyways, any recommendations on alternative uses for these patch or toss them?
NB; you can order a box of tiny tubes , to go with all your left over patches ...

Do you squeeze all the air out before you put the cap back on?

Old 06-01-20, 02:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'll bite. How to you store it upside down with that plastic hanger on the lid?
Snap it off.
Old 06-01-20, 02:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
It won't dry out if it's unexpired and has not been damaged so air can get in.
It's not the air getting in that is the problem. It's the solvent getting out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-01-20, 02:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't even take the cellophane off. I just let it come of when it wants. Does no harm anywhere as far as I can see except when I do a poor job of pulling it. Edit: and it ensures the patch won't stick to the tire, even if I have glue on the tire from patching it.
This is an easy answer to the "powder tubes or not?" perennial question. Leave the cellophane on until it falls off -- any glue has dried out fully by that time.
Old 06-01-20, 03:07 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Why if you dig a hole in the ground the dirt never fits back in the same hole. Another mystery of the universe.
Likes For berner:
Old 06-01-20, 03:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I bought this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401841106201

In theory, it will show up and I can keep my patch kit fresh. It's definitely on a slow boat, but it's nothing important.
Old 06-01-20, 04:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

They just showed up. So a little over a month, $2.

I do wish they were half that size with 10 of them.

Caribiner for scale

Old 06-01-20, 06:23 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
They just showed up. So a little over a month, $2.
I do wish they were half that size with 10 of them.
Ok, 5 for $2 & change plus shipping (no free patches?) LOL. I guess I saw one big Rema cement for $2.20. I hope they are the toxic kind that melts rubber then dries fine.
Hey... Wait a minute... I’ll resell one tube plus 6 patches for $2.00, on the other forum, and recoup some money!
Old 06-01-20, 06:39 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I haven't had to patch a tube out on the road in ages but carry a Rema kit with me.
I’ll pretend I didn’t read this, since I’m superstitious and I would hate for you to be jinxed.😬
Old 06-01-20, 08:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by jlmonte
Ok, 5 for $2 & change plus shipping (no free patches?) LOL. I guess I saw one big Rema cement for $2.20. I hope they are the toxic kind that melts rubber then dries fine.
Hey... Wait a minute... I’ll resell one tube plus 6 patches for $2.00, on the other forum, and recoup some money!
I use patches so infrequently that a single tiny box of 6-8 is good for years. It's the glue that's the problem. Spare cement for less than the cost of extra guac is great.
Old 06-01-20, 08:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
New, unopened tubes of cement can & will dry out.
Yup. I've bought those conventional patch kits with a small tube of cement and the usual assortment of patches. Kept 'em unopened in a storage bin along with the usual assortment of new boxed tubes and patched tubes, etc. When I needed the patch kit months or a year or so later the cement was always dried out. Never opened, no apparent damage. The quality of the crimp on the end of the tube probably matters but these were patch kits that had never been opened or handled by me, other than to purchase them and store them for later use. Didn't matter what the brand was.

If I buy any more cement it'll be a container of Rema or similar quality vulcanizing cement. The little tubes are a waste of money. I have an old jar of ordinary contact cement for crafts work and it's still viable, because the threaded lids can be sealed properly.
Old 06-01-20, 08:41 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
If glues dries out on you and you don't trust those self-adhesive patches, see if you can find vulcanization kit. I think that's the name for it.

I used it on my bike when still primary school age, my father used it on his motorcycle. It consisted of shallow cups filled with some substance that burned without flame. You sanded the tube and put a patch on the hole, on the patch you put this cup and fastened the cup to the patch and tube by a screw on clamp like device. Then you applied match to that substance and while it did the job, it was smoking, which always prompted my father to also have a smoke. When it cooled off, you released the tension and if you were lucky, the patch stayed on the tube... just kidding, it was fused to it.
Old 06-01-20, 08:56 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just bought a big can of cement a couple of years ago, about a year after I bought a big box of patches, Rema of course. It'll last me for years. It does surprise me however how many tubes I can go through, although I'm taking care of 7 bikes regularly in my house (4 are mine of course). I carry two spares with me at all times on whichever bike I'm riding but no longer carry patches. That may be overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And this year my usual SAG wagon is no longer an option. I always relied on the NYC subway to be my ride home of last resort, but I'm not willing to use it now with Covid. I never actually used it for mechanical issues anyway, but I've taken it when I've been on very long rides for the last 10 miles home.
Old 06-01-20, 09:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
If glues dries out on you and you don't trust those self-adhesive patches, see if you can find vulcanization kit. I think that's the name for it.

I used it on my bike when still primary school age, my father used it on his motorcycle. It consisted of shallow cups filled with some substance that burned without flame. You sanded the tube and put a patch on the hole, on the patch you put this cup and fastened the cup to the patch and tube by a screw on clamp like device. Then you applied match to that substance and while it did the job, it was smoking, which always prompted my father to also have a smoke. When it cooled off, you released the tension and if you were lucky, the patch stayed on the tube... just kidding, it was fused to it.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Match-Pat.../dp/B01MSB5YKC
Old 06-01-20, 11:29 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Nice
I talk about Europe and I would have noticed if it was American. 'We' may have copied it then, likely it came to Europe with the US army and was then manufactured locally. But who knows how it was, this 'technology' probably dates to the times when rubber tubes were invented and might have existed even prior to that, maybe as long as the rubber was invented.