Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay X replacement cleats - discontinued?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 07:19 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm due to replace my Speedplay X cleats but cannot find replacements at Speedplay, Amazon, or my LBS. Does anyone know if Speedplay is phasing these out?

Also, according to Speedplay, I cannot use the new "walkable" Zero cleats with X pedals. Can anyone confirm this definitely won't work?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-14-18, 07:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
CompetitiveCyclist no longer lists them either...

ColoradoCyclist still has them:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/spee...-series-cleats

Performance still has them:

Speedplay X-Series Cleats - Performance Bike

Does make me wonder if SpeedPlay is doing a line refresh soon...X-series has been ignored for a long while.
Old 01-14-18, 07:34 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Ahhh....is this the one?

https://goo.gl/dDyozf
Old 01-14-18, 07:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Lots of cleats available at Nashbar, and other online sources.

Your LBS might be able to tell you if they are able to order the parts.

I'm seeing the X-series on the Speedplay website.

Everything on the Speedplay site indicates no cross compatibility of the cleats with the X series. Looking at them, your cleats seem to have a round bar holding them in place, while the other series have more of a flat bar with a pin to hold them in place. So, I'm not surprised there might be compatibility issues.

It might not hurt to order a couple of pairs of cleats, just in case.
Old 01-15-18, 09:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
+1 Bought my last pair of X cleats at Nashbar. Excelsports also has them (they seem to have one of the best speedplay parts listings online).
Let us know if there is any formal discontinuation of this series though.. In some ways I wouldn't be surprised to see Speedplay phase these out, in part I think because I think their original patents on the X series are at expiration and keeping the product would invite others to supply accessories and parts at much lower costs.
Old 03-18-20, 10:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So the X cleats seem to be gone for good. Just curious, is it legal to offer a product (X Pedal) up to whenever they pulled (December '19), and not supply the much more consumable half of the equation (cleat) in short order?

I can understand discontinuing the X pedal, but it's pretty sketchy stopping production of replacement cleats.
Old 03-18-20, 10:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Last year Wahoo bought Speedplay and I've seen other grumblings online about various products all of a sudden being discontinued or unavailable.

No idea about what Wahoo plans to do with things now.
Old 03-18-20, 11:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So the X cleats seem to be gone for good. Just curious, is it legal to offer a product (X Pedal) up to whenever they pulled (December '19), and not supply the much more consumable half of the equation (cleat) in short order?

I can understand discontinuing the X pedal, but it's pretty sketchy stopping production of replacement cleats.
What are you willing to do if it isn't legal? Drum up a class-action with the other 17 users of X pedals?

From a practical standpoint, I'd email Speedplay and inquire about current and ongoing availability. If they're gone and they can't source any for you, I'd make a half-hearted stink and push for a discount on Zeros. Regardless of the outcome there, I'd move on.
Old 03-18-20, 01:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Regardless of the outcome there, I'd move on.
This is the likely result, but expensive.. what with 3 pairs of shoes then needing new cleats, plus a new pedal system itself. I was kinda hoping someone else might have already queried SP or Wahoo about this and had a response; or if any LBS owners out there who've reached out to distributors on the same question yet and been told anything official.
Old 03-18-20, 01:44 PM
WhyFi

I was kinda hoping someone else might have already queried SP or Wahoo about this and had a response; or if any LBS owners out there who've reached out to distributors on the same question yet and been told anything official.
Okay, but it takes the same amount of effort to find out from the source instead of asking for second- or third-hand info and you have the benefit of finding out if they actually have some sitting in storage.

This is the likely result, but expensive.. what with 3 pairs of shoes then needing new cleats, plus a new pedal system itself.
Sure, and being able to harangue them for a discount, on account of the poor product support, is another benefit to reaching out to them yourself, should you need to make the switch.
Old 03-18-20, 02:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Okay, but it takes the same amount of effort to find out from the source instead of asking for second- or third-hand info and you have the benefit of finding out if they actually have some sitting in storage.

Sure, and being able to harangue them for a discount, on account of the poor product support, is another benefit to reaching out to them yourself, should you need to make the switch.
Fingers crossed.. put in a support/product query thru Wahoo's support/contact site (where it turns out they actually have a dropdown where you can select Wahoo vs Speedplay as the first level category). Anything comes of this, I'll post back.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-21-20, 02:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So, I got a positive response from wahoo.. probably making most X-series pedal owners a little more comfortable -- basically to effect:
  • that the Speedplay products are being integrated into Wahoo's manufacturing/distribution supply chain, so there's been an interruption in supply and limited availability of many products.
  • Product availability updates will be made available over the coming months, and
  • specific to query, some qty of X cleats will indeed be made available to distributors/retailers sometime in the next 1-2 months.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-21-20, 02:47 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene;21377247[list
[*]specific to query, some qty of X cleats will indeed be made available to distributors/retailers sometime in the next 1-2 months.[/list]
Awesome. Buy all you can.
Old 03-21-20, 03:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Awesome. Buy all you can.
I'll probably get a couple of them. At some point, I suppose I'll have to 'upgrade' to zeros or something, but I'm not even clear I'd notice anything different, since I like a lot of float and would likely set another set to maximum float setting anyway.

What I should also do though is circle back to the Wahoo guy to ask how their development of a speedplay-ish power meter pedal is coming along.
Old 03-21-20, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

What I should also do though is circle back to the Wahoo guy to ask how their development of a speedplay-ish power meter pedal is coming along.
Report back if you do - it's certainly something that a lot of people would be interested in, if the price were right.
Old 03-21-20, 04:07 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I was looking for Speedplay Frog cleats about a month ago, and saw the same situation— sold out everywhere. I called Speedplay, which is now Wahoo as noted above, and was told that they expected cleats would be available in a couple of months. I bought the last two pairs of Frog cleats at my LBS, I'm good for years.
Old 03-22-20, 06:22 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I was looking for Speedplay Frog cleats about a month ago, and saw the same situation— sold out everywhere. I called Speedplay, which is now Wahoo as noted above, and was told that they expected cleats would be available in a couple of months. I bought the last two pairs of Frog cleats at my LBS, I'm good for years.
Had the same problem! I use Fogs on my roadie.

Just before they moved the office from San Diego, I spoke with one of their reps. He told me they are also unsure if Frogs will be discontinued. Mine are about 11 years old so I found a pair online and purchased them for future use. Of course, they come with cleats!
Old 03-23-20, 10:04 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I am also in the same boat. I have two pair of X2, on two bikes, and four pair of road shoes with X2 cleats. So upgrade will be $330 or so, maybe more.
Old 04-27-20, 12:24 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Any updates on this? Anyone know of a source for X series cleats? I found a bike shop out of state that apparently has X cleats in stock, but because of "brand requirements" is unable to ship them to me.
Old 04-28-20, 10:14 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
WARNING, there is a ton of speedplay cleat knockoffs on Ebay and others. They broke the bodies on my X1 pedals. They seemed to fit really nice.
Old 04-28-20, 10:47 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have used the X system for many years and then switched to Zeros shortly after they came on market.
Personally I like the Zeros better. They wear longer than the X cleats and now with the walk-able version I do not have to
apply non skid tape to X cleats to reduce wear and provide traction when walking.
Also noticed the walk-able version does not clog up as bad as the X when forced to walk thru dirt.
Old 04-30-20, 01:53 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was lucky and found a local bike shop that had one set of X/2 pedals and a pair of cleats in stock, so I purchased both. My old pair of cleats will be replaced today and I'll have a spare set. For me with two road bikes I didn't want to switch to Zeros and had a bad experience attempting to switch to Zeros several years back.

Old 08-20-20, 10:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

FYI.. X Cleats back in stock at Excel. Miracles never cease..
Old 10-15-20, 12:16 PM
evildoer
Loser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If they want to discontinue the pedals then fine. Discontinuing consumable cleats is weak. They likely make a huge profit on those and I'm sure many of us would still buy them. They're 85 bucks on ebay now.
Old 10-15-20, 12:59 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I have X pedals on the trainer bike and use the Light Action cleats that go with the pedals on the main bike. They work just fine. If you can find some 'light action' cleats, it would be an option...

For walkability, I stuck some of these on them and they work great: https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S.../dp/B008B2Z1D0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.