Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

3 pack mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 11:16 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
3 pack mounts

Hello,

Been thinking about getting into bikepacking. Don't know if I will do it a lot, but have been researching some bikes to at least have the ability to bikepack as far as gearing and mounts. Would not having 3 pack mounts be a deal-breaker for bikepacking?

Dave
Old 10-19-19, 11:21 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Hello,

Been thinking about getting into bikepacking. Don't know if I will do it a lot, but have been researching some bikes to at least have the ability to bikepack as far as gearing and mounts. Would not having 3 pack mounts be a deal-breaker for bikepacking?

Dave
technically you only need as many bags as you have gear.

If a handlebar bag, feed bag, frame bag, saddle bag is enough..... then forget the fork stuff.
Old 10-21-19, 04:39 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I agree with Metieval above. In addition, there are options for adding fork storage in the future if you want. There are aftermarket forks with full mounts for sale, there are clamp on solutions to add triple pack mounts, and if you have a bike with mid-fork mounts as well as mounts around the axle for a traditional rack, some of the fork cages can be attached at just those two points. If a certain bike you are looking at fits you and your budget and ticks all your other boxes, I wouldn't cross it off the list just because it didn't have the triple pack of mounts on the fork.
Old 10-21-19, 05:52 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Metieval
technically you only need as many bags as you have gear.

If a handlebar bag, feed bag, frame bag, saddle bag is enough..... then forget the fork stuff.
Like the idea. I have a 30lb mtb now, will probably start buying the tent and stuff to see what bags I really need. Thinking most of my trips will be a night or two, but I may wind up doing a week trip later on. Hoping I can get away with only a handlebar bag, seatpack, and small frame bag (got an apidura racing framebag already).

The eventual plan is to replace the mtb with something a lot lighter, that has drop bars. At this point I'm trying to avoid anything that can't be used later, and thinking a larger frame bag would be helpful (which would then cause me to need the 3 pack mounts or something like it to mount water bottles). Maybe the best thing to do is try an overnight trip with some basic gear and the existing bike and see how it goes.

Dave
Old 10-21-19, 11:36 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Like the idea. I have a 30lb mtb now, will probably start buying the tent and stuff to see what bags I really need. Thinking most of my trips will be a night or two, but I may wind up doing a week trip later on. Hoping I can get away with only a handlebar bag, seatpack, and small frame bag (got an apidura racing framebag already).

The eventual plan is to replace the mtb with something a lot lighter, that has drop bars. At this point I'm trying to avoid anything that can't be used later, and thinking a larger frame bag would be helpful (which would then cause me to need the 3 pack mounts or something like it to mount water bottles). Maybe the best thing to do is try an overnight trip with some basic gear and the existing bike and see how it goes.

Dave
there is also always the option to use Hoseclamps with a makeshift rack and bag of your choice.

I was trying to find a Front suspension hoseclamp setup that toured New Mexico. failed.

but I did find these in the process.

https://cleavelandmountaineering.com...k-clamp-mount/

and then there is this option also (Edit: I just saw DanBell linked these too)

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...1129-versacage

Last edited by Metieval; 10-21-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 03:59 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Metieval
there is also always the option to use Hoseclamps with a makeshift rack and bag of your choice.

I was trying to find a Front suspension hoseclamp setup that toured New Mexico. failed.

but I did find these in the process.

https://cleavelandmountaineering.com...k-clamp-mount/

and then there is this option also (Edit: I just saw DanBell linked these too)

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...1129-versacage
Haven't had a lot of luck with strap on mounts. Tried a velcro mount water bottle cage, and was able to get it to work well on a fixed gear, but it would come loose mounted on my mtb fork (riding a rough gravel descent). Got a Topeak clamp on water bottle cage, and mounted it to the mtb handlebars, and put it thru a torture test of 6300 ft of climbing and 57 miles of mostly gravel in the Cohutta Mountains (North Georgia). Didn't move once. Topeka is really nice stuff. I'd be tempted to try that fork mount. The clamps look pretty nice too.

Dave
Old 10-22-19, 05:13 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
There's this if you are looking for fork mounts, not cheap

https://bikepackerprd.wpengine.com/g...system-review/