Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

4 y.o. Oakley peeling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

4 y.o. Oakley peeling

Old 04-27-20, 06:59 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
4 y.o. Oakley peeling

i cannot cycle withhout a good fitting wraparound glasses due to dry eyes. they are crucial.

the suspects are... 1. harsh antibacterial hand wash...i inadvertantly been using antibacterial handwash to clean the lenses starting a few months ago...before that i only used gentle dish soap Dawn.
2. sunscreen...sunscreen got on the lense easily...no way around that...it gets on everywhere...i lather copious amount of sunscreen doing summer time.
3. sweat...unlikely though.
4. manufacturing defect...i read a guy in Oakley forum complainted and got a new pair from Oakley.

what should be Oakleys’ life expectancy? would sure luv for Oakley to replace it for free, but i already threw the box and receipt away. since these are not cheap $30 sunglasses. i think i paid close to $200 for it plus a lense. i didnt expect to last forever, but people in O forum claims they should never peel.

“Grey lense”

Last edited by mtb_addict; 04-27-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 07:34 PM
rsjrv99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you using a hand sanitizer or hand soap? Sanitizers will have a high percentage of alcohol which will remove any coating the lenses have on them. Usually sunglasses are coated with a film to make them UV protective or similar protections. From what it looks like, the outer coating is coming off, so something is degrading it

Since it looks like its just on the bottom outer rim, i'd point towards the sunscreen...Protective films are usually oils, sunscreen is an oil and like dissolves like
Old 04-27-20, 07:36 PM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
How long have you owned them? My girlfriend has cycled with the same pair of Oakley's for 8 years. Just bought a new pair for myself last week.

ETA: I just read the subject - 4 years.
Old 04-27-20, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Yeah you need to buy new glasses (or lenses) and treat them better. Sunscreen need not get all over the glasses (fine to use it but don't need to gob it on) but shouldn't really have a bad effect, nor should sweat unless you have really corrosive sweat in which case see a doctor. The culprit is likely using harsh cleaners. When I clean my glasses it is generally just cold water and a sunglass bag (or similar wipe for glasses or computer screens) I avoid any soaps or chemicals unless recommended by the manufacturer and absolutely needed.

Warranty generally is for manufacturer defects not for user error. When people abuse the system it hurts all of us who actual have legitimate claims who might not get heard because of too many "boy who cried wolf" situations.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-27-20, 07:46 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
go ahead and buy a new pair. Then mail in the old pair with a note to Oakley. Might end up with 2 pair
Old 04-27-20, 07:47 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
oh, and if they continue to do that, buy another brand. Lots of good choices
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-30-20, 04:56 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah you need to buy new glasses (or lenses) and treat them better. Sunscreen need not get all over the glasses (fine to use it but don't need to gob it on) but shouldn't really have a bad effect, nor should sweat unless you have really corrosive sweat in which case see a doctor. The culprit is likely using harsh cleaners. When I clean my glasses it is generally just cold water and a sunglass bag (or similar wipe for glasses or computer screens) I avoid any soaps or chemicals unless recommended by the manufacturer and absolutely needed.

Warranty generally is for manufacturer defects not for user error. When people abuse the system it hurts all of us who actual have legitimate claims who might not get heard because of too many "boy who cried wolf" situations.
i use waterproof sport sunscreen that stays on yur hands and skins for long time.

i touch the glasses with my hand inevidentably. and get sunscreen on the lense.

also bottom of the lense touches my cheek.
Old 04-30-20, 06:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There are a number of aftermarket lens suppliers for most of the Oakley product line. Do a search, and you'll be able to buy lenses for below the original price, and you can get amber as well as darker shades. Good luck.
Old 04-30-20, 02:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Can you post a better photo?
Old 04-30-20, 02:55 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
I've been wearing coated prescription lenses for at least 30 years and always clean them with dish detergent or lens cleaner. I did have one pair that the coating started to de-laminate but not the way yours did. They just had bad coating and were replaced.

If this only happened after you started using the hand soap, I would say that was the cause. I'd send them to Oakley and see if they will repair/replace. Otherwise get something else and be more careful about how you clean them.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-30-20, 03:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i use waterproof sport sunscreen that stays on yur hands and skins for long time.

i touch the glasses with my hand inevidentably. and get sunscreen on the lense.

also bottom of the lense touches my cheek.
Use it minimally and wash your hands before you go out. That will help a bit.
Old 04-30-20, 06:16 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
This is a known problem for certain Oakleys, especially if used in hot and humid weather.
In hot regions of Asia, they know this. I have 2 pairs of Oakleys all have peeled in exactly the same manner, used for about 3-4 years too.
It's not any washing chemical or sweat. In hot regions of Asia, we know better not to use Oakleys, but use Rudy's.
Old 04-30-20, 06:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Been using mine while brazing frames and they are doing the same thing. Weird. 4 years old, too.
Old 05-01-20, 08:26 PM
mtb_addict

better angle shows the peeling better. it looks quite bad from this angle.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
There are a number of aftermarket lens suppliers for most of the Oakley product line. Do a search, and you'll be able to buy lenses for below the original price, and you can get amber as well as darker shades. Good luck.
yes, i bought a clear ebay lense for night riding...i had to dremel that lense because it was slightly differnet shape.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Use it minimally and wash your hands before you go out. That will help a bit.
Originally Posted by aclinjury
This is a known problem for certain Oakleys, especially if used in hot and humid weather.
In hot regions of Asia, they know this. I have 2 pairs of Oakleys all have peeled in exactly the same manner, used for about 3-4 years too.
It's not any washing chemical or sweat. In hot regions of Asia, we know better not to use Oakleys, but use Rudy's.
. yeah...i wear this pair whenever i do sweating activities outdoor.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Been using mine while brazing frames and they are doing the same thing. Weird. 4 years old, too.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 05-01-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 08:40 PM
mtb_addict

front of lense has less area of peeling but more severe.

Old 05-01-20, 08:59 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
You got about 3 years more than I would expect. I started wearing Oakley back when Greg Lemond was wearing them in the Tour, and though I liked the style and the protection, longevity of the plastic-framed models has never been good. I got a set of Juliets back in 1998, and that was the last pair of Oakleys I bought, as I am still wearing them today. Every other year I get new lenses and have the frames tightened, and that's it. They are tough, I had them in my pocket when taking a tumble ice skating, I fell hard on the glasses. They didn't break, but one of my ribs did.
Old 05-05-20, 11:21 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict

better angle shows the peeling better. it looks quite bad from this angle.

yes, i bought a clear ebay lense for night riding...i had to dremel that lense because it was slightly differnet shape.

. yeah...i wear this pair whenever i do sweating activities outdoor.
Yep, that's exactly how mine peeled. junk!
And I didn't even used them that much! Left in the closet for a year and they just peeled like that. Never Oakley again
Old 05-05-20, 11:42 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Why would you wash them? Just polish them with some tissue once in a while.
Old 05-06-20, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
For general use, I have Oakleys that are well over 10 years old and the lenses are fine. For cycling, I have some that are at least a few years old, and still fine. As you suspect, you have probably abused those lenses. Fortunately, you can probably buy replacement lenses and keep the frames. I suggest you stick with Oakley, as the lenses are the most important part.
Old 05-10-20, 09:31 AM
Stellari

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm afraid to say that this would never have been a discussion back in the day when Jannard was around. He was (and still is) an amazing pushing the envelope guy. Before my eyes started to go Oakley's were the only sunglasses I would use they were so far head of everyone... blue light etc. Made to go to the limits thus the famous shotgun peppered M Frame lense displays. The best personal example of this was I dropped a pair on a ride and they got run over, I collected what pieces I could find and had a new pair that next week, great customer service and pride in their products. I now can't even enjoy wearing them at all due to my "perfectly normal fear of contacts." Thinking of selling them all.
Unfortunately that was many years ago and now Oakley is owned by Luxottica I am not in any way knowledgeable on their policies but it never hurts to communicate the worst they can say is no. Best case scenario you have new glasses and the feeling that they've got your back. Give them a call - I'll be pulling for you.

Last edited by Stellari; 05-10-20 at 09:39 AM.