Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 02:18 AM
Designmindz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
New Bike

Hi Guys,

I picked up my new bike today and I'm very happy with it.

I have bought a 2020 Marin Muirwoods... attached is an actual photo, which doesn't really show much so here is a video link for more detail if anyone is interested

I had to walk 45 mins into town to pick it up, so I could ride it back. I've only ridden for about 30 mins and already a bit sore in the butt area, and my wrists were feeling it.

Does this subside as your body gets used to the ride, or am I in the market for some padded shorts? (48 yr old male here).

I definitely want to get a mirror as I don't like looking back over my shoulder. Lights and lock (I want) on order as out of stock.

This is the first time I've been on a bike in about 9 years and its a really great feeling. I certainly need to get my fitness up on the bike, although I think I am reasonably fit.

Here are some stats from my Garmin Fenix from my short ride, this was about 3km and 14 mins on the bike if anyone can give me feedback?

Average speed - 12km/h
Average moving speed - 15.5 km/h (what's the difference?)
Max speed - 23 km/h
Average HR 124 bpm
Max HR 140 bpm
Anerobic 0.8
Aerobic 2.4

My current V02 Max is 41, so not great

Cheers,
KD

Last edited by Designmindz; 04-28-20 at 02:22 AM.
Likes For Designmindz:
Old 04-28-20, 02:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Average speed vs. average moving speed = total distace covered/total time taken vs. total distance covered/moving time (subtracting the time spent stopped, e.g. traffic lights).

Sore butt and other body parts the first time on a bike after a long pause is perfectly normal, it should subside within few rides. Padded shorts is individual choice, they may be useful for long rides, although I'm doing rides over 100km in regular clothing without any troubles. It'st also possible that the saddle is not the best fit for you, but give it some time; you should consider changing it only if it is dialed in as good as possible yet the soreness still doesn't get less even after a couple weeks of more or less regular riding. Your fitness will also most probably increase noticeably within first few months of riding, if you stick to it.
Old 04-28-20, 02:51 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. It looks like a nice one. Yes padded cycling shorts really helps your backside comfort. After a while as you ride more you will build your wrists and backside up and the pain mostly goes away. Padded gloves and lowering the front tire pressure three to five psi under the rear tire helps my wrist also. If still an issue you can get gel bar pads then rap your bar in cork bar tape.
Old 04-28-20, 06:50 AM
kasncart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems to be good.
Old 04-28-20, 07:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Are you riding with cycling gloves? If not, might want to pick some up. In many cases, stock seats aren't that great--probably the most often part of the bike that gets changed. Some newer bikes are coming with better seats--I can remember when the cheapest seat available came on bikes, guess they fig'd most people would change anyway--some bikes now come with decent seats, some still don't. LOTS of threads on this site regarding seats. if you haven't ridden in a while, it's not unusual to have a sore backside. Have fun with the new bike!!
Old 04-28-20, 09:54 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. If you want to hear opinions on best saddle ask the question and read the fist ten replies . They will likely be all different. The current trend seems to be keep buying till something works. System works great for saddle companies. lol Wish you the best.
Old 04-28-20, 10:04 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) makes nice saddles. I would try another couple of rides with your saddle but dont put up with pain. Congratulations on a really nice bike!
Old 04-28-20, 10:12 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Congrats and a nice choice. Well Muir is my hero and everything else about the bike screams perfect. Enjoy the rides

Old 04-28-20, 10:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It gets better. Give it a few not-too-long rides before you start worrying too much about what else you need to buy.
Old 04-28-20, 12:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I don't think padded shorts will help you get over the pain of breaking your butt in. Actually, I suspect the padding aids comfort primarily by wicking sweat away from your butt.

I'd plan on shorter rides spread a day or2 apart until you can sit on the seat comfortably. Same for your hand, wrists, and arms.

Enjoy your bike. Congratulations!

BTW, as you condition yourself, you'll probably find that your HR will get lower on the same route at the same speed, or your HR will stay the same, but you'll keep going faster or farther.
Old 04-28-20, 01:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Make sure the seat isn't too low .... and if it is the right height, as your legs get stronger, they take some of the load off.
Old 04-28-20, 01:25 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
if you can find a really really slim gel seat cover that would help. Any bigger than really slim will make the problem worse. At least that what my wife tells me. I prefer padded shorts.
Old 04-28-20, 01:31 PM
asad000003
Road King

Bikes: BMX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Designmindz Nice ride. Getting back to biking after 9 years must get soar muscles. Its a great exercise though. Keep it up.
Old 04-28-20, 01:40 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Nice. Ride, ride, ride. Have fun with it.