Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Tire Comparison/Recommendation/Advice?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Tire Comparison/Recommendation/Advice?

Old 01-12-20, 11:34 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'll recommend the Hutchinson Override 700x38

Size: 700x38, about 39mm wide, about 400 grams each.
Tread pattern: minimal file tread pattern in the center, progressively larger file tread on the shoulder.
Construction: 127 tpi, flat protection included, tubeless
Performance on pavement is excellent, like most road bike tires
Performance on firm gravel is excellent with very good cornering grip on a hardpacked fine gravel
Performance on deep or soft gravel is acceptable, float and traction is sufficient due to the wide footprint and supple construction.
Durability: good so far
Ride: super smooth and plush

The tire was eventually easy to install tubeless with a standard floor pump. I did pre-fit the tire using a tube and let it take shape at 80psi for 48 hours. This allowed the tire to seat quickly and hold air with 30 ml of sealant.

The Hutchinson Override is lightweight and very fast rolling. The Override helped me nearly produce the same kind of speeds I experience on my road bike on pavement with 700x25 Rubino Pro tires. Performance on a wide range of dry surfaces is excellent. Firm gravel, dry grass, dry single-track are all traveled with speed and confidence. Soft and rutted single-lane gravel roads require focus and skill, but can be covered quickly with sufficient traction. Wet gravel and pavement are acceptably easy to travel if the rider avoids any excessive banking during turns. I avoid wet earth and grass, it's not the right tire for those conditions.

PS;
I've covered more miles and completed the 50 miles Cuba Gravel Crisis with the Override. I continue to be highly impressed with the tire. Traction, durability, reliability all continue to remain at a high level. I'm unable to break the rear tire loose on soft sandy trails, unless it's a very steep climb and I stand while mashing the pedals. Simply sitting on the saddle re-establishes traction. The front tire also maintains traction well on flatter routes. However, I'll install a knobby tire, like the WTB Riddler, on the front if I expect faster downhill sections that require urgent braking and cornering. No need to remove the Override from the rear. It rolls fast with a surplus of traction.
It might be time to try this tire out. (BTW it's "Overide")
Old 01-12-20, 12:32 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I'm running the tubeless right now-- which purchasing was an ordeal, as sellers are frequently listing the TLR and normal versions as the same tire. The skinwall is tubed, the blackwall is TLR. I don't even know how I stumbled across them initially, but they've been very good so far. No report on longevity yet, I'm still under 1k miles.
Can you measure them when you get a chance please?
Old 01-12-20, 03:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Alpines are mounted on my mix-match Crank Brothers wheelset, which is an Iodine 3 in the front and a Cobalt 3 in the back-- which are I believe 21mm and 23mm internal, respectively. The tires @ 60psi are both right at 38mm wide.

I would have thought the 2mm of difference in width would make for one tire wider than the other, but apparently not.
Old 01-12-20, 09:51 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The Alpines are mounted on my mix-match Crank Brothers wheelset, which is an Iodine 3 in the front and a Cobalt 3 in the back-- which are I believe 21mm and 23mm internal, respectively. The tires @ 60psi are both right at 38mm wide.

I would have thought the 2mm of difference in width would make for one tire wider than the other, but apparently not.
Awesome thanks!
Old 01-12-20, 10:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I'm running Clement X'Plor USH tires which feel pretty fast on pavement and have held up well on any dirt or gravel trails I've run them on. They get some really good reviews. I've got the 700x35 on Sun Inferno 23s and velocity Dyads and the shape and size are really good.
Old 01-13-20, 08:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by samuraiben
Just to be clear, you have both the triggers and the g-ones? Interesting that there might not be much of a difference between them as they look pretty different to me, but I don’t really know. If they are similar, I might just go with the triggers because they are cheaper. That, and the philosophy to have slightly more tread than I need.
They both ride rather like slicks that have a little better breakaway characteristics (because of the light tread). Since you are using tubes, the trigger will probably be fine (that is how my tire is set up). I use the G-one tubeless as that is where it really shines (smooth rolling, good vibration absorption, ability to hold air without sealant). The G-One is my winter tire because of its excellent wet and snow traction (I haven't used the trigger much in those conditions - the G-one rules there). But since you are using tubes, not sense in paying for the hassle, expense, and weight of tubeless - unless that is your future direction.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-20, 09:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Some context:
- I'm new to cycling and just do it casually, for the enjoyment of being outside and for some exercise.
- I'm not riding tubeless. I know it's better, yada yada, and maybe I'll change my mind later, but riders in my area aren't and don't recommend it. I'm not morally against it or anything, but don't try to convince me...
Since you are new and asking for advice, I’ll throw this out.

Tubeless tires (like the G-One) are a pain in the butt. I can’t mount them on some of my wheels, because the bead is so tight. They are heavier than they need to be (if using tubes) because they have something like an inner-tube built into them. And they tend to cost a lot more than traditional ties.

It’s always a pleasure to mount my traditional tires and be reminded how easy a tire change can be.

I love tubeless on my primary bike, but unless you are NOT a casual rider, get a lot of flats and/or are worried about pinch flats they can be too much of a hassle to be worth it.
(i.e. don't buy a tubeless tire unless you need it - they are a hassle)
Old 01-13-20, 11:00 AM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you move to 50/50 trail/roads, I would recommend the Rene Herse Steilacomms. Otherwise, either the Overrides or BonJon Pass will be great for ya.
Old 01-13-20, 02:03 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I would add that if you are not going to be riding rough single track 700x38 will be a great tire size. Don't feel like wide is better especially if you are 80/20 road/gravel.
Old 01-13-20, 04:39 PM
samuraiben

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a newbie to both cycling and this forum, I'm grateful for all the feedback and community. I went into my local bike shop this past week, and found they had a bike with Specialized Pathfinders on them, so I was able to test-drive those tires and I really liked them. No wobble from the center ridge AT ALL, and I was trying to find it. I'm planning on ordering those this week. It sounds like a perfect combination of smooth rolling on pavement and traction when you need it off pavement. I will post again once I've got them and let you guys know. I'm looking forward to them.
Old 01-13-20, 08:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Sounds like you would be good with some slicks or the Schwalbe G One Allround you mentioned. The G One rolls pretty well on all surfaces and 38mm is good size to start with. Have fun!
<br />+2<br /><br />Can't go wrong with the G One for the riding you describe. Also consider the Vittoria Terreno Dry and the Gravel King, though the GK may have a bit shorter life. We have been putting the G One and the Vittoria Dry on bikes for a lot of folks that ride more road than gravel and they do come back for a second and third set with a big smile. The GK is a good all around, but if you ride mostly road the G One and Vittoria will give you better road performance.
We also love the Compass (Rene Hearse) tires for your mix of riding but they are a bit more expensive, though they have the best ride of all, like a giant tubular!. We usually only put Compass tires on bikes of more experienced riders that are willing to pay the extra.

Last edited by dwmckee; 01-13-20 at 09:00 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-13-20, 10:23 PM
shoota 

As a newbie to both cycling and this forum, I'm grateful for all the feedback and community. I went into my local bike shop this past week, and found they had a bike with Specialized Pathfinders on them, so I was able to test-drive those tires and I really liked them. No wobble from the center ridge AT ALL, and I was trying to find it. I'm planning on ordering those this week. It sounds like a perfect combination of smooth rolling on pavement and traction when you need it off pavement. I will post again once I've got them and let you guys know. I'm looking forward to them.
Good call. I know the review you're speaking of and you have to take those one off reviews with a grain of salt. Just rememner most happy customers don't review at all and if the one person poo-pooing the tires is the only one then they are probably doing something wrong. Let us know how you like the Pathfinders after you get some time on them.