Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

People who honk because they want you to move over

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

People who honk because they want you to move over

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 07:54 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I use my position in the lane to help communicate how I want the driver to act. I normally ride somewhere near the right side of the right tire track, comfortably out of the door zone, but obviously in the right-hand side of the lane. When I hear a car approaching, I adjust my lane position accordingly. If I do not want the car to pass, I move over to the left about a foot or so that I am clearly taking the lane. As soon as it is safe for them to pass, I move to the right (but still stay out of the door zone) and give a wave. This new position and a wave tells the driver that it is safe to pass.

I ride about 2-3 thousand miles per year and I have been honked at twice. Granted, I do not ride in “the city” (Portland) that much, but I have found people pretty friendly when I communicate my intention.

I find that the best lane position when I “allow” a driver to pass is to move over just enough to make the car’s left tires touch the yellow center line. Once they do this, they are essentially committed to driving in the other lane and will give plenty of room. If I move over into the door zone, drivers decide that they can squeeze past in the lane without crossing the center line and make it exponentially more dangerous for me. They often do this even when there is no traffic coming from the other direction.
Old 01-22-20, 10:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
It might be well-intended, as in, "Hey I'm here, just want you to know." Or it may be nasty, as in, "Get the fark out of my way, dammit." There's no way to tell.

I do not show my finger, ever. Nothing good can come of it.

A third possibility is that someone is thinking, "Jeez, I don't want to do the wrong thing, what should I do?"

I swing my head back a lot, and I don't even need to. (I don't need to because I have an eyeglass mirror.) It's just a signal to say, "I know you're there, and I want you to know that I know." By swinging my head back and maintaining my path, I show that I intend to be where I am, and I'm not taking the lane obliviously.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: