Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Photo - Silver 79 Raleigh Competition GS

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-22-20, 04:30 PM
tammons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Owned it since new.

Stolen in 82 or so. Three days later, chased the kid down on foot and got it back.

It was getting pretty rough, so about 20 years ago, I had the frame repainted, and made a couple of alterations and rebuilt it, but nothing that cant be undone, and I might leave some of that as is. I definitely need a new seat or recovered and maybe do it myself. IE I have a large piece of thick stiff saddle leather.

What I am looking for is a high rez photo or two of an unaltered bike to use as a reference.

I have owned it so long, I actually forgot the model - LOL. Took me awhile to figure it out.

Any comments welcome.
Old 01-22-20, 04:52 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
This one is black, but they claim it’s mostly original. Photos are pretty good.

Member @rhm does great saddle work.

https://districtcycles.myshopify.com...competition-gs
Old 01-22-20, 05:50 PM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
This one is black, but they claim it’s mostly original. Photos are pretty good.

Member @rhm does great saddle work.
What does it cost to have a saddle rebuilt?
Old 01-22-20, 05:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by tammons
What does it cost to have a saddle rebuilt?
About the same as a new Brooks.
Old 01-22-20, 06:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
About the same as a new Brooks.
Yeah, but Rudi's rebuilds use a much thicker leather, so they should last longer.
Old 01-22-20, 09:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
The ‘79 catalog is online: 'The Headbadge': 1979 Raleigh Catalog - USA
Old 01-23-20, 12:23 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
...chased the kid down on foot and got it back.
I would have payed to see that! Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 01-23-20, 03:00 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts

I bought this in 2015 from the original owner who never rode the bike. It was purchased new in Cupertino California 11/1977. The only thing I changed is the rear derailleur to NR instead of the Grand Sport it came with. The saddle is dated 1977. From what I have gathered this was the only year with the Carrera brakes. I think yours may have come with different model. The cables on this bike as well as the top tube cable clamps say Wienman.
I forgot to mention , I took off the chain ring guard that it came with. I still have it and the RD in a bag. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

Last edited by Kabuki12; 01-23-20 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 06:17 AM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I would have payed to see that! Welcome to Bike Forums!
I will expound.

I was working for the summer at an office in Leesburg Fl. My car broke down so I was riding my bike to work.
Small office. An old house. I parked my bike under the window where my desk was. Unfortunately, unlocked.

A sneaky little prick stole it. Three days later, one of my co-workers said,
"Hey there goes your bike."

I ran out the door and saw the guy ride out of the parking lot and turn down the street.

I ran down the street after him, and I am no runner. But after about 1/2 mile, I saw the house that he pulled behind in the distance.

Hoofed it on and walked behind the house and there was my bike with the handlebars turned upside down and various other ridiculous mods.

I knocked on the door and a huge black woman answered the door, I told her that my bike had been stolen and I saw whoever it was ride behind the house.

"Pedro. Get your ass in here," she said to her son and she meant business. And then she began to berate and beat the hell out of poor little 12 YO Pedro with vengeance. I said thanks and left. As I rode away, I could still hear her yelling behind closed doors.

To this day, I wish I would have had the delinquent prick locked up in jail for a day or two and then released as a lesson.

From then on I made sure my bike was locked - LOL.
It was just dumb luck that I got it back.

Last edited by tammons; 01-23-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 06:29 AM
tammons

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I bought this in 2015 from the original owner who never rode the bike. It was purchased new in Cupertino California 11/1977. The only thing I changed is the rear derailleur to NR instead of the Grand Sport it came with. The saddle is dated 1977. From what I have gathered this was the only year with the Carrera brakes. I think yours may have come with different model. The cables on this bike as well as the top tube cable clamps say Wienman.
I forgot to mention , I took off the chain ring guard that it came with. I still have it and the RD in a bag. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Nice bike. Nice photos. Thanks.
If you dont mind, how much did you pay?

I think my brake calipers are the same as yours.

I dont think I have my original brake handle/levers anymore. In 2000 I replaced them with the hidden cable types. I replaced the top tube cable clamps with cable guides that were brazed onto to the top of the main tube, but the clamps looked just like yours. Probably dont have those either. The gears changers, I changed to wire only type.

The chrome on the forks was painted over, so I dont know what shape it is in.

Most of the rest is factory.
Old 01-23-20, 07:26 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Nice bike. Nice photos. Thanks.
If you dont mind, how much did you pay?

I think my brake calipers are the same as yours.

I dont think I have my original brake handle/levers anymore. In 2000 I replaced them with the hidden cable types. I replaced the top tube cable clamps with cable guides that were brazed onto to the top of the main tube, but the clamps looked just like yours. Probably dont have those either. The gears changers, I changed to wire only type.

The chrome on the forks was painted over, so I dont know what shape it is in.

Most of the rest is factory.
I paid $300 for it and there were 2 others that were ready to buy the bike but I was first! The guy was 77 years old at the time and I asked him if he had the original paperwork or manual and he just laughed. He bought this and an International at the same time. This one was supposed to be for his wife and she hated it! The International was rusty and well worn having made a few 300 mile trips up and down the California Coast. A real cool guy and when I asked him why he was selling his bikes , he told me he could no longer balance and had fallen a couple of times. Joe