Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Disc Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 09:12 AM
gene99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Front Disc Conversion

Thinking about converting my road bike front brake from caliper to disc by swapping out the fork and using a mechanical disc. I would leave the back a caliper brake. Obviously, I'd also need a front disc wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-23-15, 09:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
It's a reasonable approach comparable to how cars when to disc/drum braking when disc brakes first started going mainstream decades back.

However it won't be cheap when you consider the cost of both a fork and wheel switch. Take a look at the cost, and compare to buying a new bike closer to what you want, and selling this one, or keeping it as a B bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-23-15, 11:03 AM
gene99

Thanks FB. I know it will be expensive, but I have an expensive bike (Parlee Z5), which I like.
Old 07-23-15, 11:30 AM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People used to do that with mountainbikes ten or so years ago (it was affectionately called "the mullet") as discs only forks became more common.

I think besides cost, your main problem will be finding a fork that fits your frame. To keep the same ride characteristics, you will have to match both axle-to-crown length and offset/rake. Most aftermarket disc forks right now are aimed at CX bikes and may not play nice with your bike's geometry.
Old 07-23-15, 11:49 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
People used to do that with mountainbikes ten or so years ago (it was affectionately called "the mullet") as discs only forks became more common.

I think besides cost, your main problem will be finding a fork that fits your frame. To keep the same ride characteristics, you will have to match both axle-to-crown length and offset/rake. Most aftermarket disc forks right now are aimed at CX bikes and may not play nice with your bike's geometry.

I've done (and still) have this on several MTB's and a road bike. Agree with the road bike having to use a CX fork, in my case I used a Lynskey Endurance fork, this has raised the front end significantly, not an issue for my intended bike purpose as it's used for long distance events.

Another issue with disc forks, is most are for tapered headset, the Lynskey along with a few others are 1 1/8th" but there are less of these than tapered ones on the market. What is the spec of your frame? Will this limitation cause an issue?
Old 07-23-15, 11:53 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99
Thinking about converting my road bike front brake from caliper to disc by swapping out the fork and using a mechanical disc. I would leave the back a caliper brake. Obviously, I'd also need a front disc wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think you'll end up with a bike that's heavier with no benefit. What's your issue with the current rim brake?
Old 07-23-15, 12:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
pros seem to be quite fast by not braking ..

I suggest N+1 , why not get the Disc brakes on a Cross Bike so you have a wider tire and Mudguards fitting capacity as well ?

Trek 720 perhaps? 720 Disc - Trek Bicycle

the fork bags are big enough to carry a Growler in each
Old 07-23-15, 12:40 PM
gene99

Thanks all.

In answers to questions/comments:

- Don't know the spec on the frame, but Parlee guys very helpful - I'm sure they'll know which forks I can/can't use.

- Issue w/my brakes: They suck w/carbon wheels, especially if it gets wet, and on long descents.

- Thinking about just getting a cx bike. A little concerned re weight.
Old 07-23-15, 12:55 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99
- Issue w/my brakes: They suck w/carbon wheels, especially if it gets wet, and on long descents.

- Thinking about just getting a cx bike. A little concerned re weight.
Can't argue with that. Which is why I don't use my carbon wheels in the wet. I was going to suggest a pair of light aluminum wheels for that purpose, but then you're swapping out brake pads every time...

I'd look at a CX bike. I personally hate riding in the rain without fenders and like having a "rain bike." With a road wheelset/tires you should be able to get a pretty light CX bike.