Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is cycling an expensive hobby?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 09:01 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Everything is relative to your income and tastes. Some collect fine art masterpieces while some collect Brooks Saddles.
Old 10-10-20, 11:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If the intent is addressing cycling purely as a hobby (not a mode of transportation), and one that a person has a passion for, it is relatively expensive for the "average" (whatever that means) person. And you also throw out idiotic comparisons like collecting vintage yachts or meditation.

It probably should be noted that this is on a bike forum and no hobby is that expensive if it is your hobby, or you have unlimited funds. You can always point to something else.

In comparison to soccer, basketball, running, walking, even skateboarding; cycling is not that cheap. And for other non-sport/equipment hobbies like bird watching, or gardening it really seems expensive.

John
Old 10-10-20, 11:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I looked to see how this got neccroed. Surprised to find it had never died! Just chugging along for over a year and a half. It may be some sort of record.
Old 10-10-20, 01:08 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No
i would go with no, but it could be yes. after buying very nice road bikes for 200 or less on craigs list, bikes originally going for much more new.

the health benefits and fun make this quite inexpensive, my other hobbies not so much. ...and one more thing, buying used has taught me bicycle mechanics.
Old 10-11-20, 05:47 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Inexpensive.

$60 hourly for rental + $20 instruction flying planes....
Haven't flown in awhile, eh? I was seeing 90/hr in the midwest and closer to 140/hr in the sunbelt, just the plane.

I like motorcycling, flying, cycling, and hiking. Hiking is the cheapest (but where I'm at, still involves driving to a trail). Cycling is a cheap hobby for me, although I think video-gaming as a teenager was about the cheapest $/hr hobby I've ever had.

Last edited by Bulette; 10-11-20 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-11-20, 04:03 PM
tyroc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For me, compared to my other hobbies, cycling is more expensive. Playing basketball and reading/listening to books are my two other hobbies that I consistently engage in (basketball not so much right now).
Basketball costs: Pair of sneakers $100/year and if I want to play indoors gym membership $300 a year.
Reading/listening to books: At least two books a month or about $600 a year.

One thing I find telling, reading through the responses, are the other hobbies many forum members engage in, boating, skiing, cars. Those are not poor men's hobbies. Not throwing any shade, but cycling's demographic definitely skews upper middle class. That alone is suggestive about its relative cost. A $500 bike and $100 for accessories may not seem like a steep barrier to enter the hobby, but if you're struggling to pay your rent or mortgage...
Old 10-11-20, 05:45 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
It's not a hobby -- it's my primary transportation, and it is cheap. Cars are one of my hobbies, and they are expensive.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 10-11-20, 06:54 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Eliz
For me, weather conditions make all the difference in terms of affordability of cycling.

[..]To make cycling fun in winter, too, I would need something like a road bike with gear hub and belt drive. But that's ungodly expensive, so I just only cycle in summer.
Expensive? Pish posh! Here's my winter bike a decade ago when I actually rode daily through the winter -- mind you, it's only 5 miles round trip.
The bike was $160 used, and had barely been ridden. Cannondale H400. It's a very tall frame though, making it tough to sell. I'm 6' even and can barely straddle it.. never had trouble, though.

The studded snow tires are expensive; I lucked into them because a friend had these and they were the wrong size for him. I got them for $20 apiece, which was the reason I tried them in the first place. Having ridden them, they are totally worth the $60 each or whatever they cost now. They're Nokians, but I'm sure Schwalbes are just as good. It makes riding on ice like riding on a wet road. I think of it as cheap transportation and free exercise.

In this picture, it's still derailered...that didn't last long on our salty roads so I converted it to 3spd internally-geared hub with chain drive, which worked a treat!
No need for belt drive, this works fine.

A frame with horizontal drop-outs would have worked finer still, but with the help of the internet, I got it worked out. A chain is $10 and lasts one winter without doing anything. If I had an attached garage, I could hose off the salt every few days and let the bike dry and I'm sure the bike would be in better shape.. as it is, it's about worn out after ten winters, but I have no complaints.
cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 10-11-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 07:24 PM
Eliz

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
I converted it to 3spd internally-geared hub with chain drive, which worked a treat!
Different strokes. For me, cycling with 3 gears is not fun. I'd rather take the bus.
Old 10-11-20, 07:34 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
Different strokes. For me, cycling with 3 gears is not fun. I'd rather take the bus.
Horses for courses. It's pretty flat around here, and like i said, it's 4 km to work... I used the 3spd hub as a lark and because it was cheap and I wanted to try it.. I was surprised how much I liked it around town. It's a different kind of riding.

I'm on the lookout for a good-quality early 80s mountain bike with horizontal dropouts to convert to a Shimano 8- or 11-spd IGH for touring on trails. Sheldon Brown had an article on the advantages of touring with an 8spd IGH bike, and it sounded pretty convincing. Also I like to wrench

When I was little -- say 15 or 25 years old -- I wouldn't have been caught dead on a bike with internal gears!
cheers -mathias
Old 10-11-20, 07:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
For me, counting direct expenses over years, cycling had been cheap.

Indirect expenses, like travel to foreign lands to ride bikes, ambulance rides and hospital stays, cross continent moves for better cycling, have been expensive.

Savings by not owning a car for the last few years is a drop in the bucket to those expenses.

Health benefits are immeasurable.
Old 10-11-20, 07:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
It was today.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-11-20, 09:01 PM
Eliz

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
Horses for courses. It's pretty flat around here, and like i said, it's 4 km to work... I used the 3spd hub as a lark and because it was cheap and I wanted to try it.. I was surprised how much I liked it around town. It's a different kind of riding.
Thankfully I also live in a flat area, but there are more reasons why one might need gears.
My commute takes me from one side of Amsterdam to the other, straight through the city center. That means I'm constantly accelerating or decelerating due to traffic lights, pedestrians, and various obstacles. And so I'm also constantly shifting, to maintain some semblance of a stable cadence.

Incidentally this is also the reason why light-weight bikes aren't just for those riding hills. They're also for those of us who ride through cities where you need to stop every 500 meters!

Last edited by Eliz; 10-11-20 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-12-20, 12:00 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
Haven't flown in awhile, eh? I was seeing 90/hr in the midwest and closer to 140/hr in the sunbelt, just the plane.

I like motorcycling, flying, cycling, and hiking. Hiking is the cheapest (but where I'm at, still involves driving to a trail). Cycling is a cheap hobby for me, although I think video-gaming as a teenager was about the cheapest $/hr hobby I've ever had.
I haven't flown in almost 20 years, and back then got a discount on the plane rental because its flight instructor owner was building hours for his ATP certificate.
Old 10-12-20, 12:59 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Agreed! 3 gears is 2 too many! 😊

Otto
Old 10-12-20, 02:48 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Organ playing

My other hobby is/was playing the organ. Getting started in organs cost as much as a new Pinto in the early 70s. My ride back then was a Varsity. Back then organ playing was expensive after you figured in the cost of the instrument, lessons and sheet music. i wasn't an organ major so I didn't incur that kind of expense.

I have never been a professional. My highest level of accomplishment was playing in some rural churches where the organist passed away years ago.

Nowadays if you want to get into organs the home instruments are at bargain basement prices for even large instruments. I you play by ear and don't need sheet music its even cheaper. I you want instruction just go to YouTube.

Yes, if you want it you can still pay big bucks for pro gear and some organs have held their value.

So compared to cycling my organ hobby is cheaper. My last full size organ was only $200. Most used bikes I see on CL these days for something mid range is often a lot more than that. My last bike was $600 three years ago. I shop for bargains for gear and use alternative clothing for cycling.
Old 10-12-20, 03:24 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Would be nice to drop $$ on a full suspension mtb! I wonder what costs more in the cycling niche, mountain or road cycling? I'd say mountain.
Get that full squish mtb and never look back!

Per mile, mtb is several more times expensive than road. Expensive repairs are more common due to the intensity of the terrain, as well as the frequency of falls (both high and low/no speed) which can easily result in repairs, as well as the dirt/sand/mud getting in the drivetrain and wearing it out at a blistering pace compared to a road drivetrain. Of course your riding conditions may differ from mine. Even my best road rides don't bring a smile to my face like a mediocre technical mtb ride does.