Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Identification of Peugeot with Campagnolo

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 08:25 PM
Tracks_Of_Death

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got this bike a while back for what I think was a good deal. The only trouble is I don't know exactly what model it is and what it is worth. I was told it was from about 1976 and was raced by the previous owner when new. I thought it could be a py-10 or similar but I couldn't find a vintage Peugeot that looks exactly like this one in any catalog so I'm stumped. Also, the addition of many Campagnolo parts seems unusual for the time. It also has Campagnolo decals on the top tube (one of which has come off but the residue is still there) as well as the seat-tube. Here is as much information as possible to help you guys out.
It's missing a saddle and the seat post clamp, and rear QR axle but is otherwise complete. I will find these parts before selling it but this is how it sits now.
Serial number 7013925

Large Reynolds steel frame 60cm

Campagnolo nuovo-record brakes, levers, front mech, crankset, chainrings, pedals, bottom bracket, headset, cable guides, front qr skewer, and seatpost (this seatpost was too large for the seat tube and i don't think it is the original one and it was replaced at some point.)

original Brevettato Silca Impero Frame Pump with Campagnolo patent on nozzle

pedals have christophe special cages
simplex 6-speed derailleur

suntour friction shifters

shimano 600 hubs and matrix ISOc aero rims are wrapped in like new specialized turbo R slick tires.

other parts include belleri stem and guidons philipe handlebars

Please feel free to request more pictures or information. Hopefully this isnt to many pictures, I don't really know the etiquette. Maybe more is better.

Thank you in advance. I am new to the forum and a young lad for such an old bike (im 18) but i really like the vintage stuff and want to know more.

this is a prime example of a good 10 footer. It looks nearly flawless from a distance, where the paint issues melt away

campy cable quides and crankset

Some poor quality paint touch ups by origonal owner. There was an identical campy decal on the other side.

campy badge on seatube with other graphics.

nicely polished campy brakes with great pad life left

decals and pump

It does need an quick release skewer for the rear, which i am trying to find for a sane price
Old 12-15-20, 08:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I think it is a blue PX-10 from the 70's, that has had most, if not all of the components replaced with Campagnolo branded ones, except the rear derailleur, which is a newer than original Simplex updated one to fit the unique Simplex hanger. The Campagnolo decals and sticker were probably also added at the same time the components were changed out.

The 24"/60cm frames are hard to score in the US, so congratulations.
Old 12-16-20, 12:46 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
It looks about 77 px10 or perhaps a py10 which might explain the SLJ rear derailleur.
Old 12-16-20, 08:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Mixed emotions about the touch up attempts. At least some attempt was made to maintain the bike and prevent rusting. And it can be reversed, if you wish to. Very nice bike. Good luck with it.
Old 12-17-20, 01:25 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would also say late 70,s PX -10 that has some changes, Very nice bike love the blue paint oem with just bit of petina.
Old 12-17-20, 06:29 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Ny kind of purchase. A project with Patina. My size. I would almost be a candidate for purchase! My preference would be for Nervex lugs, however.
Old 12-18-20, 08:22 PM
Tracks_Of_Death

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you very much for your response. My theory is that the original owner put a full Campagnolo groupset on it and that those parts were replaced over the years as some of the campy stuff broke. This might explain the newer derailleur and shifters.
As for the frame size, i had no idea it was uncommon. I bought it because it was actually my size. If I could keep this as a project I would for that reason. For now, though I got to work out how to find it a new home.
Old 12-18-20, 08:33 PM
Tracks_Of_Death

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I share the same attraction to patina. It's a shame I can only have one project at the moment.
Do you have an idea what I could sell it for if I found some parts to complete it? Pricing for PX-10's seems to be all over the place. I want it to find a good home, but I don't want to rip myself off if you know what I mean. This is only my second vintage bike so I don't have a great deal of knowledge yet.

Thank you for your time and stay safe out there!
Old 12-18-20, 10:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Tracks_Of_Death
I share the same attraction to patina. It's a shame I can only have one project at the moment.
Do you have an idea what I could sell it for if I found some parts to complete it? Pricing for PX-10's seems to be all over the place. I want it to find a good home, but I don't want to rip myself off if you know what I mean. This is only my second vintage bike so I don't have a great deal of knowledge yet.

Thank you for your time and stay safe out there!
...I don't know what you paid for it. So whether or not you rip yourself off is sort of dependent on that. In general, unless you have some sort of access to used parts like a co-op or a donor bike, it's difficult to swap out all the components on a 70's French bike by buying the stuff on ebay, then sell the bike, hoping to either make money or break even.

It is true that PX-10 prices are all over the map on my local CL, and I have no rational explanation.

A few years ago here, CL asking prices for these ranged from about $350-500 here in the greater SF Bay Area.

I think I saw one priced at $1000 a couple of months ago, but I doubt very much if it sold. I think the guy was pushing the "all Original" pitch. Which is not a compelling argument, because in the '70's a lot of the componentry was at best iffy on PX-10. A lot of the work on a project 1970's PX-10 is finding more functional replacements for the stem, bar, front derailleur, and sometimes relacing the wheels to use clinchers...not tubular tyres.

For someone like me, it would be a no brainer to maybe take off all the Campagnolo stuff, use it on another bike, and then put the PX-10 frame back together using stuff I have that's French. But I have a ready supply of stuff like that, out in milk crates in the garage. And there are a couple of nearby co-ops if I can't find something at home.

It's not that the 24" frames are especially rare, it's just that the American importers seemed to favor the 23" and 25" frames. At least, that's what shows up for sale here. The one I scored for myself in 24" came from a guy who originally bought it in Germany. I think maybe the Europeans were more selective and demanding of bicycles in general than the smaller community of enthusiasts here in the USA. And a lot of the knowledgeable people here were buying something other than PX-10's.

If you really need to move it on, one alternative would be to just sell it for what you paid. Another would be to part it, and sell the frame separately from the components. Which you mostly have to do on e-bay and is a PIA.

The rear derailleur is a Simplex because of the unique Simplex hanger on the frame, which needs to be modified if you want to run a Campy NR unit. Also a PIA. If you remove it, make certain you do so by unbolting it from the interior surface (you will see the bolt head there). If you try to remove it like every other rear derailleur, from the outside, you will break it and render it unusable.
Old 12-18-20, 10:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...oh yeah, I almost forgot. for a nominal membership upgrade fee, you can sell stuff here on BF without getting into trouble with the people who run it. That often works out pretty OK, because there is a small community of people who shop in the for sale section, and they are mostly willing to pay about what something is worth...with some exceptions.

At least you don't have to deal with the CL lowballers, who have become both numerous and vexatious. And it's usually the case that people who buy the frames and whole bikes pay for the shipping charges...usually.
Old 12-19-20, 02:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
There's a fairly good chance if you list here on the forums in the for sale section of the classics local pickup or shipping arranged someone will buy this bike and give it a good home.