Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 07:18 PM
dilbert2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
New Bike

Let's say you were going to spend a silly amount of money on a bike. You'd prefer to stay mainstream and were going with a Domane Project one. You don't want a custom bike.
You have your heart set on the wild the Amplified Alchemy paint scheme.
Now let's say you're looking at the SLR 7 and SLR9.
Would you spend the extra money on Dura-Ace with the built-in power meter, and a lighter bike, and better wheels, or would you go with the Ultegra Di2?

<sorry, can't post pic as it's my first psot>
Old 12-25-20, 07:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Ultegra Di2. Best bang for the buck.

But you can get a really nice custom bike, possibly less expensive, with Ultegra Di2.
Old 12-25-20, 07:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
If you are planning to race, the Dura-ace and wheels and power meter .... because for serious training nowadays a power meter is considered a necessity. For a bike to just ride, well ... people rave about DI2, and Ultegra will probably outlast Dura-Ace--the cassette and maybe chain rings at least.
Old 12-25-20, 08:21 PM
dilbert2000

Good points, thanks.
I currently have Garmin Vector 2 pedals, and like the left / right info. I'd lose that with the crank based power. I'll get Vector 3's for the new boke.
I'll stick with the Ultegra.
For those that know the Domane line, what other differences are there in SLR7 and SLR9, their site doesn't offer a lot.
Old 12-25-20, 08:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
Let's say you were going to spend a silly amount of money on a bike.
You only live once. I generally tell people to get what you want or will experience upgrade fever shortly after your purchase.

Nothing wrong with mainstream. I purchased a Emonda SLR Project One and wanted it the way i wanted it, so i upgraded the bars, stem, saddle, Sram Red and downgraded the wheels because i wanted Zipps.

That was 2015 and I have 26,000 miles on it. It still brings smile to my face every time i ride it.

There's been 2 redesigns of the Emonda since I bought mine and I have no need to replace mine. So look at all the money I saved getting it the way I wanted versus settling for less and replacing it once or maybe twice.

Yes, Ultegra is more bang for the buck that Dura Ace, but then a Domane SL is more bang for the buck than a SLR.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-25-20, 08:31 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I can't speak to Ultegra vs Dura Ace Di2 (I do love my Ultegra Di2), but if you are considering vector 3s, I'd recommend taking a look at Favero Assiomas if you aren't absolutely wedded to the Garmins. I love mine and have heard / read nothing but rave reviews.
Old 12-26-20, 06:41 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Never ridden anything other than DA in the electronic, but Ultegra mechanical is awesome and I assume di2 will be as well. Ultegra makes the SLR7 slightly more versatile w/a 34 - 34 low gear vs. 34 - 30 on the DA. Given the size tires you can run on either bike (I have 40s on my spare wheels), Ultegra would appear to give you some gravel options that might be hard to push with the DA.

You gain a pound advantage with the lighter group set, bars, wheels and saddle on the SLR9. Up to you on whether the difference justifies the price.
Old 12-26-20, 11:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on a bike if I didn't already have enough experience to know what things were important to me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-26-20, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You only live once. I generally tell people to get what you want or will experience upgrade fever shortly after your purchase.
This. I have never regretted spending more on a bike, but I have sometimes regretted not spending more.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't spend a silly amount of money on a bike if I didn't already have enough experience to know what things were important to me.
And this, too. If you don't know whether you want a power meter, you are probably already spending more money than you should, given the level of your experience and knowledge.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-26-20, 12:36 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Ultegra Di2 would be plenty for me, but then Project One was too silly for me, although there was a Gorgeous One in one of the shops when I was Domane-shopping. BTW, I love my relatively-humble manual-Ultegra Domane and Might be willing to pay a premium price only if I could custom-order rim breaks on a Project One.
Good luck getting your eventual selection.

Last edited by BiciMan; 12-26-20 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 04:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

BTW, when you go Project One you basically pick whatever you want. You first pic the drivetrain, they offer Sram Force AXS, Red AXS, Ultegra mechanical, Ultegre Di2, DA and DA Di2. Then paint, bars, stem, wheels, tires and on....

No such thing as a SLR7 Project One or SLR9 Project One....Project One are SLR frameset only and you pick everything else.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-26-20, 07:34 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts

For those that know the Domane line, what other differences are there in SLR7 and SLR9, their site doesn't offer a lot.
The site is exceptionally specific, listing pretty much every part...
Old 12-26-20, 07:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
I recently bought new cassettes and went with Ultegra over Dura-Ace because there were several horror stories about Dura-Ace cassettes creaking or spider ring breaking on the two largest cogs. Those issues seem more prevalent on the versions with 28T or 30T as the largest cog.

This comment applies only to the cassette. I know nothing else regarding the remainder of the Dura-Ace groupset.
Old 12-27-20, 07:32 AM
dilbert2000

As for the comments on not knowing what I want, i.e. if I don't know if I want a power meter or not... kinda dickish. I guess I set myself up a bit by not giving more info. I currently ride mech Ultegra, been riding my wife's Di2 Ultegra for about a year, she wants it back. I have Vector 2 pedals and love the two sided data, with the Ultegra you lose that, with the Dura-Ace, I think it simulates it. Really like the Garmin, would consider a Vector 3.

As for the comments on PO and being able to pick every single component, I might be doing it wrong, but while it may have been that way previously, I can't see a way to select at that level. It seems you need to select the frame level (SL vs SLR - if looking at carbon), then the series (7 for Force / Ultegra, 9 for Dura-Ace / Red). The choices feel more limited once you start the build. Paint is pretty open, wheels and saddles are pretty open. Not much on group sets, you can select a ceramic BB if you want.

Anyhow, the shop I went to had a Madone in the color I wanted to order on the Domane. It has Force. I had on sneakers and gym shorts. I took the Madone for a ride in the (very large) parking lot and can't believe how much I liked Force and how comfortable I felt on the Madone. Yes, it had all its spacers under the bars, but it still looked OK. I've been riding a little over 10 years. Mid 50s. Never have, and never will race. Can afford the bike. I love to push myself. My wife gives me a lot of crap that I never go on easy rides (I do). No, I am not fast. I thought a bike like a Madone would not feel comfortable.

It's in the 30s where I live, heading back to the shop to take it on the road for 10 or 20 miles later today. It's a Trek shop, so I assume they'll have a Domane I can take for a quick ride after. If the Madone remains super comfortable, it just might be coming home with me.
Likes For dilbert2000:
Old 12-27-20, 08:02 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm surprised how heavy the new madone slr7 is - 8.32kg. I built two Cinelli superstar disc bikes with force axs, heavy cranksets, tubeless ready fulcrum racing 3 wheels and force axs for less than the price of one madone and they weigh 7.8kg. I assume that weights are without pedals, bottle cages and computer. Those add .3kg to my bikes.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-27-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 08:16 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'm surprised how heavy the new madone slr7 is - 8.32kg. I built two Cinelli superstar disc bikes with heavy cranksets, tubeless ready fulcrum racing 3 wheels and force axs for less than the price of one madone and they weigh 7.8kg. I assume that weights are without pedals, bottle cages and computer. Those add .3kg to my bikes.
Aero trump weight, but i'll still keep my Emonda 6.48kg. and that's ready to ride.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-27-20, 08:35 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Originally Posted by GlennR
BTW, when you go Project One you basically pick whatever you want. You first pic the drivetrain, they offer Sram Force AXS, Red AXS, Ultegra mechanical, Ultegre Di2, DA and DA Di2. Then paint, bars, stem, wheels, tires and on....

No such thing as a SLR7 Project One or SLR9 Project One....Project One are SLR frameset only and you pick everything else.
Used to be the case - not sure any more. You can't change out the components on the website the way you could in the past, but a dealer may have that option. There is always Project Ultimate - where the sky is the limit.
Old 12-27-20, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You might just get another 3 or 4 thousand dollar bike to get some more experience to know what you want, then spend a silly amount of money on a future bike after that. Otherwise you might be upset with us for telling you something mattered to us and found out it doesn't matter to you.

To me, nothing satisfies better than knowing exactly what you want before you get it and then finding that one that hits all the marks.
Old 12-28-20, 08:14 AM
tigat

Can afford the bike ... If the Madone remains super comfortable, it just might be coming home with me.
This to me is all that counts. FWIW - the Domane and the Madone share the same rear decoupler, so the comfort over the long haul should be there as long as you can dial in the fit.
Likes For tigat: