Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 12-31-20, 10:13 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by sincos
Straps used to come with (or maybe you had to get separately, I forget now) a button that screwed onto the end of the strap. With it on there's no way it would thread through the "buckle" (which isn't a buckle but a raised lip that you can just flick to loosen enough to pull out.) Also, a well used strap will take a bend upwards, in the opposite direction*, .......
let me offer a photo to illustrate the shape that a toe strap will take in typical use, just in case anyone isn't familiar.....

as far as the end buttons, I don't think I knew about those until the 90's when I bought some from Rivendell.
However... reviewing some photos that I took at the 1982 Iron Horse Classic, I see that Jonathan Boyer has buttons on his straps, so they were definitely around.

In some other photos, there was a mix of buttons and no-buttons. A matter of personal taste, perhaps.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-31-20, 10:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Worse yet - flashing headlights. When did headlights become a warning sign instead of a way to light the road ahead of you? Very distracting to everyone approaching them. Also flashing tail lights.

A flashing light should be limited to emergency vehicles and people emergency situations, such as a car broken down at the side of the road.

The Germans have it figured out - I understand they're outlawed there.
I flash front and rear. Daytime only. (At night, all the light, all the time.)
1. I don’t need vision, I need visibility. If you see me, good. Coming or going.
2. When someone falls back from our group, I’m the sweeper; it’s a a lot easier to see them if they’re flashing.
3. When I pull them back, especially to a strung out group, we can see them up ahead. Visibility.
4. Our new Cliqs will synchronized their flashes....again, increased visibility.
5. Our new Cliqs also act as brake lights, and drivers see me/us slowing....broken record time.

As for Germans, or Swedes or Belgratzians.
Germans listen more to drivers than cyclists. So do Italians and Argentinians and maybe even Samoans.
Just like the U.S. Politics, cronyism, corruption, pick one or all.
They are not smarter or advanced or more honest or less corrupt or less political than other people just because they are German or European or Japanese or Antarctican. The track record there is not all that good. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Anything else is purely mythical. Ascribing some kind of extra wisdom to any group of people or country is inane, inaccurate, and only satisfies some false elitist sense of something approaching vicarious superiority. Like a Rachel Maddow monologue.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-31-20 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 10:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
https://www.velonews.com/gear/the-sc...of-being-seen/

This is only one of the many substantial articles, studies and reports.

To me this is a no brainer, maybe I don't have one.

I run daytime flashing lights front and rear, solid at night, cameras and GPS tracking 24/7, period.

Many of these articles stress the aiming for optimum visibility that is likely blinding in some circumstances caused by road surface, uneven ground, lack of suspension, improper adjustment, overly bright, etc.

Just like cars everytime I drive anywhere after dark.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-31-20, 10:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I flash front and rear.
Must be quite a scene where you ride.

But keeping with the thread, it bugs me more than most people...I suppose I get to have an opinion too.
Old 12-31-20, 10:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
- really jacked seat posts. for real?

- thomson set back posts on a vintage bike

-non aero levers with modern bikes and/or disc brakes
Likes For thook:
Old 12-31-20, 10:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by stewartp

-If I plan to race on tri bars I'm damn sure going to train on them as often as I can
Understood.

But at 20 mph on a crowded MUP yelling “on yer left!” as if the TdF TT finish line is just ahead.....
...even Walter Mitty was safer.
Old 12-31-20, 11:07 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
The things that make me want to shake my fist mostly have to do with the bike industry pushing fancy new things on riders whether they need them or not, to the point that bikes without them seem to be lacking something and ultimately these things just cause more problems than they solve when you consider the cycling community as a whole:

boost spacing
road tubeless
suspension on cheap bikes
hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes
1x on everything
mandatory dropper posts
integrated headsets
pressfit BBs

And greatest evil of all: patenting ideas so that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th companies who want to use a good idea all have to come out with parts that are all mutually incompatible.

I propose a modern constitution of Lycurgus for cyclists: all bikes should come with friction shifters and tires no wider than 2" and be cable-actuated. That way we can spend less time coveting other people's bikes and just ride simple, reliable, fun machines.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 12-31-20, 11:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Understood.

But at 20 mph on a crowded MUP yelling “on yer left!” as if the TdF TT finish line is just ahead.....
...even Walter Mitty was safer.
Have you ever heard one of the those electronic beeping horns? The most irritating attention-getter I've ever had the displeasure of hearing on MUP. I envision your Walter Mitty-type has one of those, too - with the activation button permanently depressed with a piece of electrical tape.

DD
Old 01-01-21, 06:10 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Aluminum spokes.... by a considerable distance.
Fluted seat-post (just add water)
Fire-alarm rear hubs. (where's the ..effing fire?)
Old 01-01-21, 06:55 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 1,393 Posts
Cyclists hanging out at Starbucks. If you are going get a coffee, at least get yourself a proper coffee.
Old 01-01-21, 07:55 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Blinking lights definitely bug the heck outta me.

The scene here is 1/3 drivers only occasionally glancing away from their phones at the road to just barely keep their car between the lines. Not hyperbole.

Blinking lights thus are simply intermittently functional devices.

If you’re on the road, you’re a vehicle.

It burns me up that bike shops even sell any lights that aren’t as bright as any other modern vehicle’s lights.

Those vehicular “bright enough for a stadium” lights are one of four things that all drivers- not just the sober ones- are looking for. (1- traffic lights 2- the next turn to make 3- land marks for the next turn to make 4- other first class citizens with pavement colored cars and bright af lights)

Quit betting your lives on toy lights.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 01-01-21, 08:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM

The scene here is 1/3 drivers only occasionally glancing away from their phones at the road to just barely keep their car between the lines. Not hyperbole.

It burns me up that bike shops even sell any lights that aren’t as bright as any other modern vehicle’s lights.

Those vehicular “bright enough for a stadium” lights are one of four things that all drivers- not just the sober ones- are looking for. (1- traffic lights 2- the next turn to make 3- land marks for the next turn to make 4- other first class citizens with pavement colored cars and bright af lights)

Which is where the German or specifically StVZO lights come in they're real lights with a patterned beam for a vehicle and don't blind everyone

Last edited by Germany_chris; 01-01-21 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-01-21, 08:26 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Wow, 10 pages of complaining and still going. Ya'll need to step away from your computers and take a bike out. You might not be in such a fussy mood afterwards.
Old 01-01-21, 08:55 AM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
Regardless of toe clips, whatever is happening with the arms of the 3rd and 4th riders is some Tenent level ****

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-01-21 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Don't change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Old 01-01-21, 09:01 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
This is ridiculously subjective, but bikes painted black. The palette of available colors is so vast, that choosing black makes utterly no sense to me. The same issue exists in cars today. Just compare with photos of the highways in the 60s-70s-80s. Now all you can see on the highways is black, white, and some shade of gray. We can’t all be secret agents, can we? And don’t even get me started about matte black.
I think it is bike specific. For example, English 3 Speeds, Dutch bikes or Pashley Path Racers demand to be black. But I agree, I miss how amazing the color schemes of bikes were back in the late 80's through the 90's.
Old 01-01-21, 09:08 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by lasauge
The things that make me want to shake my fist mostly have to do with the bike industry pushing fancy new things on riders whether they need them or not, to the point that bikes without them seem to be lacking something and ultimately these things just cause more problems than they solve when you consider the cycling community as a whole:

boost spacing
road tubeless
suspension on cheap bikes
hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes
1x on everything
mandatory dropper posts
integrated headsets
pressfit BBs

And greatest evil of all: patenting ideas so that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th companies who want to use a good idea all have to come out with parts that are all mutually incompatible.

I propose a modern constitution of Lycurgus for cyclists: all bikes should come with friction shifters and tires no wider than 2" and be cable-actuated. That way we can spend less time coveting other people's bikes and just ride simple, reliable, fun machines.
Of the above, suspension on cheap bikes is probably the number one issue. But that really gets to the biggest issue, which is too many people buy bikes that actually make them want to ride less, not more. Department Store mountain bikes are not really made for mountain biking, nor are they fun to ride elsewhere. So they end up with heavy bikes which they don't want to ride (in the event their parents let them ride them) and require more maintenance than what they should ride, which is a basic BMX or commuter style bike.
Old 01-01-21, 09:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Bugs bug me.
Mostly in Summer.

Tho' I haven't inhaled a big one in a couple of decades. But it was nasty enough to remember.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
Old 01-01-21, 09:34 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Het Volk wrote,
"But that really gets to the biggest issue, which is too many people buy bikes that actually make them want to ride less, not more."
This started in the 1970s. Folks had heavy,wide tired , suspension 'aided', upright bikes that were of limited use off-road and appalling to ride on roads. After the first summer huffing and puffing they were left in the garage to rot.
In the UK it s only over the last 5 years that 'normal' people are choosing a proper drop bar road bike as their first bike. I commute 15 miles all year round and ten years ago I would have seen nobody on a any bike mid-winter, leave alone a road bike. Now I pass dozens of folks at 0500 all the time, mostly on road bikes.
Old 01-01-21, 10:54 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,190 Posts
Valves that aren't perpendicular, seats overly tilted and people with electric bikes that have 12 speed drivetrains, especially when they never get out of the 11 tooth cog.
Old 01-01-21, 11:08 AM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM

bikes are weird, so are blinky lights. weird things get noticed. If you're on a bike in traffic, you should want to be noticed as weird.
Likes For plowmanjoe:
Old 01-01-21, 11:40 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wow, 10 pages of complaining and still going. Ya'll need to step away from your computers and take a bike out. You might not be in such a fussy mood afterwards.
Cold and raining makes for a pissy cyclist.

Call this a vent thread.
Old 01-01-21, 12:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-01-21, 01:41 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Anyone mentioned Campy 2 bolt seatposts yet?
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-01-21, 01:48 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Anyone mentioned Campy 2 bolt seatposts yet?
Campagnolo 2 bolt seatpost is a great design IMO.
Can't say the same about Thomson setback seatposts and press fit BBs.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 01-01-21, 01:54 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Campagnolo 2 bolt seatpost is a great design IMO.
Can't say the same about Thomson setback seatposts and press fit BBs.

why the hate for Thompson set back seat posts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.