Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tan or black tires?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tan or black tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 06:33 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Black. I hate tan walls.

This is definitely one of those things where age can affect your perspective. I am in my 30s and when I got into riding as an adult a decade ago, black sidewalls were the norm. Tan sidewalls look just as silly to me as whitewalls on a car.

It didn’t help that my first experience with tan walls wasn’t high end tubulars. It was pulling desiccated, disintegrating things that used to be tires off my first vintage project and putting them directly in the dumpster.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-03-21, 06:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
If you're bored, build up a nice set of sew up wheels, and then glue on some tan tubulars. Win win... and you WILL notice the difference.
Old 01-03-21, 07:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Conti Ultra Sport II and III tires are excellent values, much better than the original US. I've run 'em for a few years, both for outdoor rides and on the Cycleops trainer. No need for pricey or specialized trainer tires.

But the semi-thick, sorta-rigid sidewalls can make for a jarring ride on chipseal. As our rural and suburban roads have gotten worse -- coarse chipseal, no "fog" coat or smooth asphalt topping -- I've switched to more supple tires.

If you don't mind, or actually like, a reddish brown sidewall, the Conti Grand Prix Classic skinwall is an outstanding value. 700x25 only, handmade in Germany, costs about $30-35 each and well worthwhile. I've run those for almost two years on one road bike. I nearly wore out the rear tire, roughly 3,000 miles, with some of the wear dimples still showing, but a sharp bit of metal anchor strap for construction sliced the tire so I've, umm... retired it. I replaced it with a new Conti GP Classic. Add latex tubes and the ride will spoil you.

Next best value might be Soma Supple Vitesse, a tan/cream skinwall. I got the SL, light enough for club racing, and it's worn surprisingly well. I expected it to wear out in less than 1,000 miles but it looks like it'll be good for 2,000 miles or more. Next time I'll get the EX for a little thicker tread and longer wear. Like the Conti GP Classic, a great riding tire. Available in all standard sizes. The 700x23 SL rides as nice as the GP Classics in 700x25.
Old 01-03-21, 07:16 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Tan. Black tires are common and boring. *yawn*
Old 01-03-21, 07:18 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I have a negative bias towards tan wall tires because of the bad experiences I've had with those cheap ass Kenda K35 tan walls. So, I've been putting blackwall tires on everything for about the last 5 to 10 years or so. My fave vintage blackwall tire is the Panaracer Pasela. I've installed about 1/2 a dozen pairs of these on various bikes & never had any problems. Plus, they roll very fast. Be good. Have fun.

Old 01-03-21, 08:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Skinwalls. You'll be surprised how much it automatically adds a certain classiness to the bike. It'll also look very obviously C&V in the best of ways, and it'll complement the gum hoods.

The darker the frameset, the better too. They'll look fantastic on your black Holdsworth.

It's even doable in reverse.

-Kurt

Old 01-03-21, 09:07 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
otoh, some tires with thin white walls or stripes. buuuutt, maybe nlerner's got the idea ...ha
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Black. I hate tan walls.

This is definitely one of those things where age can affect your perspective. I am in my 30s and when I got into riding as an adult a decade ago, black sidewalls were the norm. Tan sidewalls look just as silly to me as whitewalls on a car.

It didn’t help that my first experience with tan walls wasn’t high end tubulars. It was pulling desiccated, disintegrating things that used to be tires off my first vintage project and putting them directly in the dumpster.
I’m 65, tan sidewalls used to be the norm, and on clinchers the tan sidewalls never aged well. Thankfully lots of high quality black walls now, Always thought whitewalls on cars looked silly too.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 01-03-21, 10:14 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
If you stay black, get a black large chainring. Tanwalls need silver rims, maybe. Nice 🚲 bicycle anyway.
Old 01-03-21, 10:20 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Another vote for tan/gumwall tires! Here's my 1980 Raleigh Competition with Panaracer Ruffy Tuffy tires.

Likes For squarenoise:
Old 01-04-21, 01:13 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Definitely tan and probably silver rims, but at least tan tires. Will mix with the hoods nice and subtly. Black tires can be ok on vintage bikes but not typically when the rest of the bike is almost entirely black, in my opinion.
Old 01-04-21, 04:47 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Rarely do I not have an opinion, regarding which choice of what, but this time that is not so. I am a gum wall fan but in this case, I am not sure that they would work, in the aesthetic sense. Then again, the wee bit of contrast might take the bike from good looking to looking great. Think about it for a while or ever. I am still in the forever stage when it comes to changing some things on some of my bikes. I always tell myself that the opportunity will always be there until I choose to take it.

Decision time at my end, now that I have actually given it some thought - I would switch to the gum walls. Though not black, this old Bianchi sported gumwalls until they self destructed, after which I installed larger width black hoops. My bike is not black, ridden a lot and dirty as some words that come to mind. A, sort of, chance to compare...

I was forced to use the black walls (long story but no choice was available in rural Jamaica at the time). They gums were 28 mm the blacks 32. And I am so glad that this happened. I learned to appreciate larger tires...
Old 01-04-21, 05:54 AM
Maru

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
With so much back on the bike, tan would be my choice.
Old 01-04-21, 07:22 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Definitely want to go wider, 23’s use to be my go to size but theres plenty of room for wider tires. Think I’m settled on tan wall Veloflex masters in a 28.
Old 01-04-21, 11:59 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Sounds like you made a decision, sloar, but here's a quick mockup for you.

Likes For squarenoise:
Old 01-04-21, 12:17 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Sounds like you made a decision, sloar, but here's a quick mockup for you.

Thank you, that’s awesome. I’m always amazed with the members on this forum.