Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Direct drive vs wheel-on smart trainers - is it "worth it" to spend more?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Direct drive vs wheel-on smart trainers - is it "worth it" to spend more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 04:03 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
Late to the party, but regarding using a crank power meter for reading watts but then having Zwift use that to adjust the trainer resistance, I found a significant (to the point of being annoying) delay when using my 4iiii crank based PM for power readings and my kick'r snap as the trainer. I stopped doing it that way because I couldn't stand the lag. There's no noticeable lag just using the Snap PM. I also noticed that my 4iiii reads a fair bit higher watts than the Snap does, and I made sure to calibrate/spindown both correctly. I don't worry about it, though, and just do my workouts as planned with the Snap. Had they had the Core when I bought my Snap, I would have purchased one, but the price difference between the Snap and the regular kick'r was huge several years ago. Never had any problems with an old, heavy wheel and a $25 trainer specific tire. I'll upgrade to a direct drive trainer when the Snap breaks.
I'm running a Stages crank-arm power meter and there is some lag in Zwift registering power changes. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 seconds delay, but I've not really found it to be a problem. I mostly notice it when I'm just starting to pedal, and it takes a few rotations of the crank before the avatar starts pedaling. Same with coasting, where I'll stop and the avatar will continue pedaling for a few seconds before coasting. When I'm out riding and start to hammer on a sprint or something, it's responding as quickly as I'd expect.

When the grade changes, the trainer instantly responds by adding/reducing resistance. It also seems to work fine in workout/ERG mode, but also I'm not sure I'd even notice a few seconds difference. The group rides I've done have all been pretty large packs of riders, so I've not noticed that there's any issue in staying with the pack. I do notice that riding with smaller groups requires a bit more attention to my pedaling effort to make sure I'm not surging ahead or dropping back, but I've assumed this is related to other factors (like differences in trainer difficulty setting, where the uphills hit some riders harder than others, therefore they instinctively pedal harder).

I haven't tried running the power directly from the Kickr Snap yet, but I'll play around with that at some point and see if I notice any difference.

The price difference between the Snap and Core is still pretty huge, IMO. $500 vs $900 in the US market. That $400 cost difference is less than what I spent on my crank power meter.
Old 01-04-21, 04:22 PM
Het Volk

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm running a Stages crank-arm power meter and there is some lag in Zwift registering power changes. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 2 or 3 seconds delay, but I've not really found it to be a problem. I mostly notice it when I'm just starting to pedal, and it takes a few rotations of the crank before the avatar starts pedaling. Same with coasting, where I'll stop and the avatar will continue pedaling for a few seconds before coasting. When I'm out riding and start to hammer on a sprint or something, it's responding as quickly as I'd expect.

When the grade changes, the trainer instantly responds by adding/reducing resistance. It also seems to work fine in workout/ERG mode, but also I'm not sure I'd even notice a few seconds difference. The group rides I've done have all been pretty large packs of riders, so I've not noticed that there's any issue in staying with the pack. I do notice that riding with smaller groups requires a bit more attention to my pedaling effort to make sure I'm not surging ahead or dropping back, but I've assumed this is related to other factors (like differences in trainer difficulty setting, where the uphills hit some riders harder than others, therefore they instinctively pedal harder).

I haven't tried running the power directly from the Kickr Snap yet, but I'll play around with that at some point and see if I notice any difference.

The price difference between the Snap and Core is still pretty huge, IMO. $500 vs $900 in the US market. That $400 cost difference is less than what I spent on my crank power meter.
Seems to me, that one could, through a combination of cheap spin bike, some pedal base power meters (Garmin Vector), and a speed and cadence sensor, you could make an at-home smart trainer that does not require a bike. However, that seems like a real hassle, but, if one already has a spin bike they like, it is an option. I think the speed would be the toughest sensor to add to a spin bike unless spin bike already has it.
Old 01-04-21, 05:02 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Het Volk
Seems to me, that one could, through a combination of cheap spin bike, some pedal base power meters (Garmin Vector), and a speed and cadence sensor, you could make an at-home smart trainer that does not require a bike. However, that seems like a real hassle, but, if one already has a spin bike they like, it is an option. I think the speed would be the toughest sensor to add to a spin bike unless spin bike already has it.
I'm confused as to why you're telling me this, but Zwift doesn't need a speed sensor if you have a power meter, and I'm pretty sure those Garmin Vector pedals will act as a cadence sensor. Your spin bike would still be "dumb" though... you'd have to manually control the resistance.
Old 01-04-21, 05:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think the confusion is over what people mean when they say a trainer is "dumb" or "smart." I have a Kinetic Road Machine, which Kinetic calls "smart" in that it has a little pod that transmits BT power data. But I think most people (myself included) would call it a dumb trainer because it just reports power data similar to when I ride my PM-equipped bike on my old Nashbar fluid trainer. I think when people say "smart trainer," they mean one where the resistance is controllable in response to a game or power training software.
Old 01-04-21, 06:26 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by caloso
I think the confusion is over what people mean when they say a trainer is "dumb" or "smart." I have a Kinetic Road Machine, which Kinetic calls "smart" in that it has a little pod that transmits BT power data. But I think most people (myself included) would call it a dumb trainer because it just reports power data similar to when I ride my PM-equipped bike on my old Nashbar fluid trainer. I think when people say "smart trainer," they mean one where the resistance is controllable in response to a game or power training software.
Good point on the definition between dumb and smart. I was thinking that for purposes of using Zwift or other apps in a fashion where you could at the very least, control your avatar, there is a way to kind of bolt on some form of tool to allow you to train aside from listening to music or watching TV. Since I prefer mostly the ERG mode during the winter, my mind was focused mostly on that approach with Zwift.

What is going to be amazing to watch, is that in the next 5 years, almost ALL trainers or spin bikes will be smart outside of Peloton or others which are so class dependent. I do not see a home market for spin bikes or trainers without smart capabilities. I suppose, for race warm-up, there will always be some basic wheel-on or direct-drive trainer that is purely just for warm-up and for nothing else as a cheap way to warm-up for races.
Old 01-04-21, 06:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Probably. When I was shopping for a trainer last winter, I really wanted a smart trainer but I expected that most of the time I'd be using it to warm up for race. Didn't really expect to spend so much time on it in my garage.
Old 01-05-21, 09:10 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I'm confused as to why you're telling me this, but Zwift doesn't need a speed sensor if you have a power meter, and I'm pretty sure those Garmin Vector pedals will act as a cadence sensor. Your spin bike would still be "dumb" though... you'd have to manually control the resistance.
I have a decent spinner bike (Lemond Revmaster Sport) that is paired with Garmin Vector pedals. I have done some Zwifting with this combo and it works just fine as far as it goes. It takes power input from my pedals and calculates speed from that data (plus my profile info plus grade/etc). But it is a dumb trainer in the sense that if I am going up a 12% grade and I want it to feel like a 12% grade I have to tweak the resistance knob to do that. Like most spin bikes the resistance is a oiled leather strap against a great/big flywheel. It provides a relatively true 'road feel' that is smooth and noiseless, but even small tweaks to resistance kind of take a while to settle out. It is workable, way better than having Zwift guess your power based on modeling of a traditional dumb wheel-on trainer, but is not particularly satisfying compared to what I THINK would be the experience of a true smart trainer (particularly if it had good power measuring capability).

In particular you really cannot do shorter HIIT type stuff on my setup. You give the resistance a big twist, even God doesn't know what resistance level you are going to end up with, so you start sprinting with one hand on the knob and twist again, it takes a few seconds for the resistance to kind of settle out, maybe you are where you want to be and maybe not - but the sprint is close to over before you ever get there.

It works pretty well for my purposes but I have dropped all subscription stuff and either stream entertainment on my tablet computer while putting in 'some miles' (and in that mode this setup is quite effective) or for more intense work sessions (intervals of a minute or more) it is typically just me and the spinner bike (and bike computer).

It is interesting that (assuming that the Covid status does not preclude this), riding in this mode is going to be crucial to my training for the Six Gap Century this year. IMHO the cramping issues that I fought in the 2019 Six Gap were simply because I had never trained doing 30+ minute hard/constant efforts. And that is somewhere between hard and impossible to do here in the rolling terrain of south-central NC (USA). So for this year I am going to simulate some long climbs on my spinner bike (probably at the end of some outdoor training rides). So for me (in this case) indoor riding is 'superior' to outdoor riding.

dave
Old 01-05-21, 10:12 AM
msu2001la

Good point on the definition between dumb and smart. I was thinking that for purposes of using Zwift or other apps in a fashion where you could at the very least, control your avatar, there is a way to kind of bolt on some form of tool to allow you to train aside from listening to music or watching TV. Since I prefer mostly the ERG mode during the winter, my mind was focused mostly on that approach with Zwift.

What is going to be amazing to watch, is that in the next 5 years, almost ALL trainers or spin bikes will be smart outside of Peloton or others which are so class dependent. I do not see a home market for spin bikes or trainers without smart capabilities. I suppose, for race warm-up, there will always be some basic wheel-on or direct-drive trainer that is purely just for warm-up and for nothing else as a cheap way to warm-up for races.
I see what you're saying now. Yes, there are ways you can get on Zwift now without a smart trainer or power meter. Zwift has a list of compatible "dumb trainers" where you can use a speed and cadence sensor and allow Zwift to estimate power based on those readings. Theoretically, Zwift knows the power curve for the specific trainer. I've tried this in the past and it wasn't very accurate. It might be possible to do this with a spin/stationary bike (even if Zwift doesn't include it as a list of approved trainers) and I've seen some videos where people attach speed sensors to the flywheels of spin bikes to get speed/distance info, but again... the accuracy would likely be way off. I suppose if your goal is just to have an app that tracks rides and provides a visual, it might be enough. It was pretty worthless for trying to do structured workouts based on power output though.

I agree that we will start seeing "smart" features trickling down to even cheaper trainers. Already the Tacx Flow ($370) does everything needed to fully enjoy Zwift and other apps. It provides power output and the apps can control the resistance. It's just a matter of time before there's a sub $300 smart trainer that does the same. That said, I think there will still be a market for ultra-cheap bare-bones indoor trainers for people who have no interest in Zwift/Rouvy and just want to ride, manually control resistance, etc.
Old 01-05-21, 10:40 AM
Het Volk

I see what you're saying now. Yes, there are ways you can get on Zwift now without a smart trainer or power meter. Zwift has a list of compatible "dumb trainers" where you can use a speed and cadence sensor and allow Zwift to estimate power based on those readings. Theoretically, Zwift knows the power curve for the specific trainer. I've tried this in the past and it wasn't very accurate. It might be possible to do this with a spin/stationary bike (even if Zwift doesn't include it as a list of approved trainers) and I've seen some videos where people attach speed sensors to the flywheels of spin bikes to get speed/distance info, but again... the accuracy would likely be way off. I suppose if your goal is just to have an app that tracks rides and provides a visual, it might be enough. It was pretty worthless for trying to do structured workouts based on power output though.

I agree that we will start seeing "smart" features trickling down to even cheaper trainers. Already the Tacx Flow ($370) does everything needed to fully enjoy Zwift and other apps. It provides power output and the apps can control the resistance. It's just a matter of time before there's a sub $300 smart trainer that does the same. That said, I think there will still be a market for ultra-cheap bare-bones indoor trainers for people who have no interest in Zwift/Rouvy and just want to ride, manually control resistance, etc.
As for a cheap, pre-race / event warm-up machine, it would be nice if they could put out a cheap, direct-drive trainer that one could just throw the bike on and spin away. I suppose rollers offer that now....but getting onto rollers in parking lot is not a lot of fun.....

Hoping we see one so that one can have something that if stolen at an event, you would not be completely out-of-pocket.
Old 01-05-21, 10:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
As for a cheap, pre-race / event warm-up machine, it would be nice if they could put out a cheap, direct-drive trainer that one could just throw the bike on and spin away. I suppose rollers offer that now....but getting onto rollers in parking lot is not a lot of fun.....
Smart rollers are where it is at. Not very many people use them because they are only familiar with the old tech. They have come a long way (InsideRide and TruTrainer - I would not consider anything else...ie. Elite rollers pale in comparison).

Got to ask though....why would you want to use "smart" features in a parking lot?

If you want to run zwift off your phone outside and are worried with powering up the rollers....TruTrainer smart load drums do not require a power source. It generates it's own power.
Old 01-05-21, 11:03 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by jadocs
Smart rollers are where it is at. Not very many people use them because they are only familiar with the old tech. They have come a long way (InsideRide and TruTrainer - I would not consider anything else...ie. Elite rollers pale in comparison).

Got to ask though....why would you want to use "smart" features in a parking lot?

If you want to run zwift off your phone outside and are worried with powering up the rollers....TruTrainer smart load drums do not require a power source. It generates it's own power.
i don’t want to run smart features in a parking lot. I just want a cheap, dumb direct-drive trainer that I would not worry about getting stolen. I just loathe wheel-on trainers.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-05-21, 11:14 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
i don’t want to run smart features in a parking lot. I just want a cheap, dumb direct-drive trainer that I would not worry about getting stolen. I just loathe wheel-on trainers.
Why don't you just use rollers? If you are worried about getting on, just use them at the side of your vehicle/wall....or even place a bike stand next to it.... for support until you get going. Bike stand actually works really well, just spread the legs....don't raise it, put it next to the rollers and use it for support. As you are aware, you can get cheap rollers that fold and take up even less space. A lot more convenient IMO than having to take your wheel off and on.... and getting grease all over your hands.
Old 01-05-21, 02:30 PM
msu2001la

Smart trainers need power, which is usually at a premium at most race venues. I've never seen anyone warming up on a direct drive trainer at an amateur race, though pro teams use them.

Most teams around here prioritize light, portable and cheap... so they are just using dumb wheel-on fluid trainers or rollers in their tents because it's a lot easier for multiple bikes to be swapped in/out. I also see people warming up on these:

Likes For msu2001la: