Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me build my first bike. Colnago Dream

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-02-21, 07:05 PM
kingjason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have been wrenching on bikes for a long time, got all the tools, but never done any big conversions or builds from a bare frame. So, I come here, hat in hand, for help building my dream DF, a 2003 Colnago Dream with B stays. I had been watching this jewel on craigslist for weeks. The guy selling had the worst pics ever so it lasted until I could go fetch it for 500.00.

Now, I am 510 and usually ride a 54 but I once bought a 56 that a guy fitted me to and it was no issue. Something about my long torso short legs. This thing measures at 55.5 so we should be good.

Now, it has a Campy Chorus in the BB that is to me, kind of tight and I really don't want to track down every single part for this thing individually, plus not really interested in Campy, used parts are higher than new stuff right now even though the Record stuff is sexy..

I know somewhere, someone was offering new groupsets that would drop into any BB, this one is 70 Italian I believe. Also, am I wrong in thinking that Shimano sells BB's for this thing that uses their cranks? Personally, I would like to buy either the new, well barely old Shimano Ultegra R8000 or R7000 2x11 groupset, the right BB, and then, A FSA one inch thread less headset(?), a zipp stem or whatever and some of the newer bars. Sound about right?

I plan on winning some Shimano Dura Ace wheels later today and if not I am going to slap some used Zipps on it or something similar if I can find them with out the red accents.

So, modern bike, but with a sexy frame. What am I missing? Will this work? I asked an ebay seller (Cycling Pro!) and they said no even though I swear I found a BB that works with this IE Shimano Dura Ace SM-BB9000 36x24 Italian thread Bottom Bracket ? I thought I had the groupset thing figured out but maybe not. They had the 105 group for sale and gave me a solid no. Maybe it was the Sram eagle or something I saw that had a multi system drop in? Did they change the way brakes mount in the last 20 years, or is everything still standard? Trying to keep the rest of the build around 1200 or so and easy. Single 12 speed wouldn't hurt my feelings either and not in a hurry I have plenty to ride. I just know I went to the bike store the other day and nothing looked appealing to me. Same reason I sold my Trek Carbon bike, just want something unique but functional and fast.

I think these specs are close. Everything wasn't all over the place back then.

Dream Plus Frame Specifications
Fork. 1 1/8" Fork Required.
Headset. 1" Threadless Required.
Seatpost. 27.2mm Required.
Front Derailleur. Braze-On Required.
BB Type. 70mm / Italian.
Frame Weight (appr.) 1350 grams

Last edited by kingjason; 01-05-21 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 11:03 PM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Well, you may have to swap the bottom bracket if the length is not proper. I guess my first step would be how many speeds I want to run, then Shimano, Sram, or Campy...then go from there. 2004 was first year of Dura Ace 7800 (10sp) which I heard someone say is the best shifting of all DA.
Likes For klasse:
Old 01-03-21, 12:16 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Wouldn't this; https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ulteg.../dp/B00D7VXBL4 bottom bracket work with the right R8000 Groupset?
Old 01-03-21, 03:11 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Better double check that headset size and match it with the required fork size

Any crank-appropriate Shimano ITA 36x24T bottom bracket will fit.
Likes For Mackers:
Old 01-03-21, 05:35 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
dude figure it out its not hard , you decide what you want and you put the parts on the bike , what ever you want on the bike is going to be fine for you , you the reader to google search parts for you , paypal me 5 bucks ill waste an hour LOL
Old 01-03-21, 09:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by kingjason
Dream Plus Frame Specifications
Fork. 1 1/8" Fork Required.
Headset. 1" Threadless Required.
Seatpost. 27.2mm Required.
Front Derailleur. Braze-On Required.
BB Type. 70mm / Italian.
Frame Weight (appr.) 1350 grams
If the frame requires a 1" headset you can't use a 1 1/8" fork. According to what I found out, that frame originally came with a 1" Colnago Star fork

Last edited by alcjphil; 01-03-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 10:14 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Order the parts you want and get the correct bb. Shimano makes cups w/ Italian threads. "I know somewhere, someone was offering new groupsets that would drop into any BB," I have no idea what you're talking about here. The bottom bracket unit must match the frame. You also seem to be confused about fork and headset sizes. Isn't your frame coming with a fork?
Old 01-03-21, 11:36 PM
Mackers

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If the frame requires a 1" headset you can't use a 1 1/8" fork. According to what I found out, that frame originally came with a 1" Colnago Star fork
Actually a B-stay Dream should come with a 1 1/8 fork.
Old 01-04-21, 03:17 AM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks gentlemen, well except the one guy. People should try googling how to upgrade a Colnago or any number of those type of search terms. Most are outdated or have people telling you to google. What I needed was specific information. I was trying to reply last night and reached my limit but I figured out the disconnect in my mind. The correct bottom bracket is right above. The BBR-60 is correct but if you google that part number it generally pops up the 68 English version. However, add a nifty I to the end of the part number and walla it is the Italian version. I would have figured it would be a different part number all together. Plus a lot of times they mention Hollowtech compatible but you go look at groups and no mention of Hollowtech.

I need to whip out my calipers in the morning when I get up and check the headset sizing. I found a once inch Colnago that looked similar and a 1 1/8 also. The specs above just popped up when googled. It is black and says flash above the word Colnago. I think I found one of the original looking headsets online.

Now, on the brakes. Do all of those things mount up the same or were there changes over the years? I plan on ordering a complete groupset, crank, levers, cassette, brakes, etc. What is really funny, the guy from REI, who confused me a little, said none of this stuff would work when I inquired about a different BB. The guy from China, when I inquired about the 105 set last night came back with, Oh you need the bottom bracket with an I. Funny. Oh and the universal comment, I think I was watching a video on the SRAM single speed stuff and the guy mentioned basically that SRAM had come out with the bottom brackets to fit all bikes or something. Made it sound like it was something new but apparently Shimano has done this for a while.

I tried to post a pic of this beauty but, well, I need ten posts..............and it locks me out at 5 a day.

Last edited by kingjason; 01-04-21 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 07:41 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts

So, modern bike, but with a sexy frame. What am I missing?
There is nothing like building out a frame for yourself

Can I ask what you plan to use the bike for? I have two identical 1970s design folding shopper bikes in my garage, one which is becoming a fast shopping bike and the other an off-road fun bike. How you imagine using your bike might help people here help you in your choices.
Old 01-05-21, 11:38 AM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Time trial bike!

Well kind of. So there was a point in my life where I weighed 367 and was over 50 percent body fat. As a child I loved riding bikes all the way up until just after high school. So, I got back into biking and got into weight lifting. Lost 165 lbs of body fat and put on 50 pounds of muscle or so. At my peak in my 30's I was averaging 19-20mph on my rides. While I have kept to working out my biking and weight lifting has been slacking over the years a little more and more each year but I am still in pretty good shape. Needing to up my cardio I jumped back into biking with a recumbent trike. Not because I can't ride a upright just because I enjoy trikes. That led me into beach cruisers. I ended up buying and testing 8 of them. I actually wrote a nice review of them on a recumbent site. Not cheap wally bikes but solid, well built beach cruisers and hybrids. That led into me getting a Trek Madone Carbon bike with upgraded wheels. It was fast but had no soul. From there I started dabbling in fast hybrids. Again, I wanted something cool but quick. I almost had Carver build me a Ti Newsboy but I just can't justify the expense. So, while I loved my Electra Supermoto 8i, I wanted something faster. So, I have landed on a Van Dessel WTF with Jones bars, a Carbon Bacchetta high racer with Zipp wheels, and a decent mountain bike. Every time I see a 2mph jump on the Bacchetta I always wonder what my road bike times would be. So this is going to fill that void. For the most part if I want to ride I grab my WTF but I love variety.

Old 01-05-21, 06:46 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
That should be an easy build. 1 1/8" external cup Aheadset (not sure where the 1" came from) + ITA BB + 27.2 seatpost + braze on front derailleur + standard short reach center mount brakes. Very common specs for a new groupset. Nice find, beautiful frame and it's a Colnago which adds 2mph to your speed because it looks so fecking good. Post pics when you're done.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-06-21, 01:15 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your response. I am about to start ordering stuff, probably Ultegra. Cheaper than what people want for the used stuff.
Old 01-11-21, 01:50 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I think this is accurate. I ordered 1 1/8 spacers and they have some play. I should have known since I had a Bacchetta Ti bike with a 1 inch fork and riser set up and had to get spacers for it. So, I will need a new headset. After I ordered the Campy socket the bottom bracket came right out though. So that was a win.
Old 01-17-21, 06:35 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks gents. I believe I am well on my way now.

If these were not 650c they actually look nice on the bike. When I get my Superteam whatever carbons from Amazon tomorrow and slap them on some Italian guy somewhere will be rolling over in his grave. Just waiting on my Ultegra stuff now, should come out fairly light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjLDmEbLCmxnLkF29
Old 01-29-21, 02:35 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
19 lbs ready to ride so not too shabby. I almost had it set up right from the get go and it fits me fine. I dig it with all the modern stuff on it. I haven't flogged it yet though but that will be soon. I am going to have to figure out a smaller or more flexible brake line for sure, where it wraps and goes internal she is dragging on both sides but it works. Might even swap out the shifter cables also all though they seam to be working fine. I just know I have ran Dura Ace in say 02 or so and seemed snappier than this 2021 Ultegra, I am betting a tad bit of cable drag.

Some purists may hate the wheels but I think Colnago could build retro bikes right now and sell them with these paint jobs and updated group sets. If Ebay wasn't selling beat down Dura Ace wheels for 500.00 I would have snagged some of them.

Thanks though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oucpG8PQMbP9XjKd9
Likes For kingjason:
Old 01-30-21, 08:51 PM
Bamicus

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Nice!

That’s a beautiful frame!
Old 02-01-21, 11:14 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 87 Posts
Did you figure out a solution to your cable rub/poor shifting?
Old 02-01-21, 12:19 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think the solution may be to just run the brakes outside of the bars. I did a little tune up on the shifting and and it is shifting well. Also, I guess I could run the Jagwire links but not sure at this point I want to spend another 70.00 on that.
Old 02-01-21, 12:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
19 lbs ready to ride so not too shabby. I almost had it set up right from the get go and it fits me fine. I dig it with all the modern stuff on it. I haven't flogged it yet though but that will be soon. I am going to have to figure out a smaller or more flexible brake line for sure, where it wraps and goes internal she is dragging on both sides but it works. Might even swap out the shifter cables also all though they seam to be working fine. I just know I have ran Dura Ace in say 02 or so and seemed snappier than this 2021 Ultegra, I am betting a tad bit of cable drag.

Some purists may hate the wheels but I think Colnago could build retro bikes right now and sell them with these paint jobs and updated group sets. If Ebay wasn't selling beat down Dura Ace wheels for 500.00 I would have snagged some of them.

Thanks though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oucpG8PQMbP9XjKd9
I like the build. IMO, I would look at peeling the stickers off the wheels, and just leave them all black. The giant white SUPETEAM logo distracts from the beauty of the frame.
Old 02-01-21, 12:27 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

I think the solution may be to just run the brakes outside of the bars. I did a little tune up on the shifting and and it is shifting well. Also, I guess I could run the Jagwire links but not sure at this point I want to spend another 70.00 on that.
I’ve found a little dry graphite powder rubbed into the cables as you thread them thru the housing does wonders. Just plain old Jagwire brand housing (not the links) is enough of an upgrade to also make a difference without breaking the bank (no pun intended).
Old 02-02-21, 12:48 AM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I like the build. IMO, I would look at peeling the stickers off the wheels, and just leave them all black. The giant white SUPETEAM logo distracts from the beauty of the frame.
Yeah, I pondered the decision on wheel colors a little bit. They had a freaking blue that matched but I wasn't patient enough to wait for them. I may think about that later but I like it for now.

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
I’ve found a little dry graphite powder rubbed into the cables as you thread them thru the housing does wonders. Just plain old Jagwire brand housing (not the links) is enough of an upgrade to also make a difference without breaking the bank (no pun intended).
Graphite and Jagwire huh. I may have to try that. I figured the Jag cables might be an upgrade. Where I ride I don't need brakes a whole lot and right now they are just set loose so they back off the wheels when I release them. I may order some new cables soon but the ole Shimanos may suffice for now. I seriously thought about just running them direct even though these bars don't take tape and they would just kind of hang there. I have a ton of tubing to play with if I get motivated.

Funny, I just noticed I have the front wheel on backwards.
Old 02-02-21, 12:11 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The Jagwire Pro cable sets are fine for most use and run about $30 for a brake or shift kit. They use stainless steel cable with lined housing and include a generous selection of ferrules. Some road brake kits have reduced diameter housing at the lever end for a neater fit under bar tape.
Back to the old reference to a group for any bottom bracket, that may have been a garbled description of a Phil Wood square taper BB since those use separate cups made in every known thread standard.
Old 02-02-21, 01:52 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

I’m sure its more a personal choice than scientific, but the coated shimano cables used in jag-wire housing (sold by the foot) is a great (and not so expensive) option. Add graphite powder and you can almost shift telepathically.
Old 02-02-21, 02:01 PM
kingjason

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So, I ordered the Jagwire kit today, 30 bucks brakes and shifters. I didn't even think about the pro option. I was glad this kit had the rubber wire grommets, which is why I didn't order the shop kit the other day on Amazon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.