Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Depression

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling and Depression

Old 02-04-21, 07:37 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by vaportrail
Read The Untethered Soul, really good book that I'm sure will help anyone who reads it.
Certainly recommended book.
Read it lately, and now following the ideas deeper with The Power of Now from Eckhart Tolle.

Giving great insights!
Old 02-05-21, 04:59 PM
Dexterbaxter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Even though it's an older thread I can completely relate to this. I suffered from depression, obesity and being suicidal for a long time before finally getting help. Started with a therapist, then the gym, then running and then rediscovering cycling at the age of 41. Now totally in love with cycling! Wish I could take what I love and make money with it.
Likes For Dexterbaxter:
Old 02-08-21, 10:17 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dexterbaxter
Even though it's an older thread I can completely relate to this. I suffered from depression, obesity and being suicidal for a long time before finally getting help. Started with a therapist, then the gym, then running and then rediscovering cycling at the age of 41. Now totally in love with cycling! Wish I could take what I love and make money with it.
Yes, it's an old thread, and I had the first reply all those many years ago. I still feel it holds as true today as it did in 2012.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 02-08-21, 08:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
It maybe an old thread, but it is still very timely since rates of suicide and depression are at all time highs. As a community which shares the same passion with its own mental health benefits, we also share a common humanity to take care and embrace those whom are suffering. The expression of pain to those who care or a mental health professional is a brave first step.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-09-21, 08:17 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcdam
I battled what I think was undiagnosed depression for many years. Tried - in this order - booze, hash, pot, mushrooms, acid, extasy, cocaine, GHB, therapy, food, more therapy, cycling, wife and kids. I'm not sure if I'm cured but between the cycling and the wife and kids, I don't really have much time to think about it anymore so I don't. Now I'm generally a pretty happy guy.

Whatever you think is helping is probably helping. If the meds don't work, try new ones. If cycling seems to help, keep doing it. Just don't give up and let the darkness overwhelm you - keep fighting it.
Hash before pot?

I commend your exploratory nature (impressive) and glad it’s worked out.
Old 02-09-21, 01:30 PM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Hash before pot?

I commend your exploratory nature (impressive) and glad it’s worked out.
In the 80's and 90's, hash was way more available than pot (up here in Canada anyway). Suddenly around the mid-late 90's, hash all but disappeared.

Since COVID hit and my business came to a screeching halt, I've gone back to a little bit of pot in the evenings to help with sleep/low points. It's worked like a charm so far. Lots of weights and exercise to battle through the cold dark winter. Will hit the road again in spring.
Likes For dmcdam:
Old 02-09-21, 01:45 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcdam
In the 80's and 90's, hash was way more available than pot (up here in Canada anyway). Suddenly around the mid-late 90's, hash all but disappeared.

Since COVID hit and my business came to a screeching halt, I've gone back to a little bit of pot in the evenings to help with sleep/low points. It's worked like a charm so far. Lots of weights and exercise to battle through the cold dark winter. Will hit the road again in spring.
Hang in there brother. My dad has battled depression most of his life. It’s beyond tough and I really do feel for you.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 02-11-21, 09:49 AM
iterax

Bikes: CAAD8, Giant R1000 (steel)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Been self-medicating with escitalopram for about a year now; fortunately (or not) pharmacies here (Manila) often will dispense them without prescription.

When I'm out cycling or running, there's little chance for the dark thoughts to creep in.

That said, I wish the best to everyone out there.
Old 02-13-21, 03:48 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There's a book called "Cycling with the Blue Moth" written by a guy named Bill Hancock. His son was killed in the Oklahoma State Basketball team plane crash, the book chronicles his depression after and his attempt to deal with it by riding his bicycle transcontinentally, supported only by his wife who followed in their camper. It's a really good read.
Old 03-23-21, 01:55 AM
alpanian

Bikes: Rose X-LITE TEAM 4000 '17, Koga Miyata Proracer '81, BMC SLX01 '08, Focus Arriba 3.0 '15

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not depression, but anxiety for me. It's actually anxiety that made me discover road cycling about 12 years ago, as I was looking for a natural way of dealing with it. It's helped me loads. It's a sport where you actually have time to clear your mind and enjoy the surroundings and explore. Hiking does the same for me.
Likes For alpanian: