Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Newbie question for recommendations

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 03-14-21, 06:52 AM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I’m 6’6” 360lbs. Looking to purchase a Recumbent 3 wheel bicycle. Will be for exercise and other times pulling my granddaughter in a bike trailer. I know nothing of what to look for. Recommendations? Thank you.
Old 03-14-21, 10:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Go to a shop that sells trikes, and look at the specs for weight. Ride as many as you can. There is a difference between the way trikes steer and handle.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-15-21, 01:32 PM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
Most people on the bentrider forum seem to recommend the Gekko 26 for heavier riders.
https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/rec...-adults-trike/

There’s also a suspended version.
Likes For skier:
Old 03-16-21, 11:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
As noted above, if it has 3 wheels, it is a trike.

The Sunseeker EZ-3 USX HD is rated for 400 lbs. Sunseeker has the advantage that it is in the catalog that almost all bikes shops use, and can be ordered just as if it were a spare part - no exclusive dealer agreements required. Otherwise, I can't say much about them except that they tend to be HEAVY and are generally at the 'value' end of the price range. Worksman would probably have a model or two with high weight ratings. Most of their lineup is either single or three speed, though - totally inadequate for any kinds of hills whatsoever.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-17-21, 12:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Even the low cost recumbent tricycles represent a significant investment for most people. You don't want to make a purchasing mistake.

I recommend devoting a day to visiting a recumbent specialty dealer in the middle of the week. First of all, there are several variations on the recumbent trike design and they all ride and handle a little bit differently. Just the act of sitting down and getting up from one can be an issue for some people on some trikes. There are other issues involved with recumbent trike ownership, like transportation and storage, that you may not have considered. For example, how wide is your doorway? A recumbent specialty dealer will have experience with such issues and will be much better able to discuss them than somebody who has two trikes on their sales floor.
Old 03-17-21, 08:34 AM
pottjar34

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
X seam

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
As noted above, if it has 3 wheels, it is a trike.

The Sunseeker EZ-3 USX HD is rated for 400 lbs. Sunseeker has the advantage that it is in the catalog that almost all bikes shops use, and can be ordered just as if it were a spare part - no exclusive dealer agreements required. Otherwise, I can't say much about them except that they tend to be HEAVY and are generally at the 'value' end of the price range. Worksman would probably have a model or two with high weight ratings. Most of their lineup is either single or three speed, though - totally inadequate for any kinds of hills whatsoever.
I checked out that bike. Looks perfect except when I had a friend measure my x-seam it was 54”. Which won’t work for that model
Old 03-17-21, 06:47 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have you looked at the ICE HD, or maybe the Greenspeed Magnum XL, also some can get longer booms to help with the x seam.
Likes For BillinPA: