Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Pressure on hands

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 12:16 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
I had problems with my hands going numb. We put padded tape wrap and foam under the wrap on my bars, making them nice and thick and soft. Haven't had a problem since. Of course the proper bike and a good fit will go a long way too, but you can try the padding for not much $$$.
Yah, whats with these hoods. Rs405 isnt particularly comfy....
Old 03-17-21, 12:45 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by jma1st3r
I know bike fit has been cover many times before. And i kinda dial in my fit a little bit having watching all them youtube videos, the question is
.. Since I am overwieght by about 30lbs, is the heavy hand thing what i have to deal with until i lose some weight?
I was out-of-shape and overweight by ~55 lbs (225 lbs) when I started riding, and had sore and numb hands all the time. After learning a bunch here and riding 4-8k miles per year, I dropped 55 lbs (down to 168 lbs) and worked on my lower back core strength muscles, which are responsible for holding (and picking) you up when you are bent over. The more you strengthen those lower back muscles, the more your core will support your upper body, and the less weight you'll need to support with the palms of your hands. Google "single leg active bridges". Holding them for 30-60+ seconds is tough.
Likes For Riveting: