Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For those who stopped group rides over Covid ..

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-18-21, 12:52 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Just curious what your standard would be for returning. For those who haven't returned to group riding, or recently did, would getting a vaccine make you feel safe enough?

Group rides have resumed for some weeks here, although it appears participation is still down more than 50%.
Old 03-18-21, 01:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I'll return to leading group rides when the club I associate with quits puting a limit on the number of riders that can show up. When they eliminate the mask requirement & the related hoops to jump through, maybe I'll be interested in donating some of my time for their cause.

Honestly, It's been a year and a month or 2 since group rides were cancelled. I don't even know what all the requirements & rule changes are anymore. I'm not sure I'm even interested enough to find out.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-18-21, 01:03 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
When vaccinated, yeah. I have done some rides at casual pace with groups, masked, but no fast pacelining where I have to breathe hard. I suspect outdoor activities are very unlikely to lead to spreading and catching the disease, but I see no point in testing the odds when group riding is a fun but completely optional thing.
Old 03-18-21, 01:04 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Group rides are coming back over here, as well. With limited numbers but the percentage/breakdown might be self-imposed. Not sure.
Still isolating until I can get the vaccine, though.
Likes For Rage:
Old 03-18-21, 01:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
When I get vaccinated. The only persons I've ridden with in the last 12 months are my wife and kids. We've had some racing: local road and XC time trial series, plus some CX racing with CV-19 restrictions (limited fields, spaced starts, masks on except when racing). But I'm not going on any group rides till I get jabbed.
Old 03-18-21, 01:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
I've probably been riskier than I should have been. I've continued to do some smaller group rides (10-20 riders) that have included tight formation, spicy pace, and not very many people wearing masks, and well as more casual rides with 1-3 friends. I've stayed away from the larger groups. My logic probably isn't very sound, but this where I've felt comfortable. I don't generally wear a mask when I ride, but will put it on for refreshment stops.
Old 03-18-21, 01:37 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The local group ride page has this still up:
ATTENTION: Due to the Coronavirus, we are postponing our group ride schedule until further notice. We will miss riding with you all but we cannot safely facilitate these group rides at this time. We hope you understand and we can’t wait to ride together soon!
When the rides start up again I hope to rejoin the group. I expect to have been vaccinated by then, so that is not likely to be a big issue for me.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-18-21, 02:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I've done group rides off and on since last summer, though nothing over 12 riders. Winter is just about done so our group rides are picking back up again. Hasn't really been much concern, and we ride easy and hard and the like.

For this, I leave it up to each individual. If you want to ride with a group, go for it. If not, no worries, there, either. Being outside and constantly moving doesn't seem to pose much, if any, risk in my opinion. The MD that rides with us has stated as much as well, but choosing to ride in a group or not is such a nonissue that I don't think there should be much consternation about it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 03-18-21, 02:02 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Good responses. I got vaccinated 12 days ago, so I'm definitely giving it some thought. I miss the group rides for the variety. If I attend 1-2 group rides a week, it will be more fun, and I'll get in better shape.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 03-18-21, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Too much other stuff to speculate about. The right group in the right circumstances not an issue. I did an organized ride with about 500 participants last September or October. Masks required till after the ride began, at rest stops and after the ride. I and others kept our mask on till we got where we could thin out after the start.

I wouldn't be afraid of a group ride today either if they have safe practices. Particularly when off the bike before the ride and after. During the ride, just don't shoot off snot rockets. Otherwise, I feel that when at almost any speed you'd do on a bicycle, the breath of another gets dispersed quickly.

We've had two Grand Tours last year in the middle of COVID. And many other pro cycling tours and events since. I don't know of any pro cyclists getting COVID while on the bike. It's always been what they did before and after. Usually a lapse in judgement and not following sensible guidelines.

I did just get vaccinated though. So maybe I'm feeling a little less vulnerable.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-18-21 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-18-21, 02:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I got my 2nd shot this week so I plan to resume riding with my group in two more weeks. I'll probably still try to keep some distance, maybe not go for beer and pizza after. I think it's uncertain if the fully vaccinated can still infect others. I'll use caution until everyone has the opportunity to be vaccinated. I think that's enough, I'm not concerned about those who choose to avoid the vaccine.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-18-21, 02:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I will say that I feel a lot more optimistic now that my parents, in-laws, and wife have all gotten their 2 shots. Still, if I've waited a year, I can wait another couple weeks or months.
Old 03-18-21, 03:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
This weekend I'm restarting my 25 y.o. group ride series, which was suspended last February. It'll be 40 miles in the rain (sucks, but it's March), for vaccinated riders only. I have "Vaccinated" buttons to give to the riders if anyone shows up. My wife and I will be on the tandem. We'll be 2 weeks past our second shot.

We've been working out all winter to just be able to do 40 miles. Blech. Hopefully this will continue to blossom into a normal season. The big event rides here have been cancelled but we've been training as though they haven't.
Old 03-18-21, 03:37 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I may be more conservative than others on this topic, but I'd say "when most/everyone else is vaccinated" I'll return to group rides, and even then I'll probably be very conscious of the number of people and only participate if it's relatively small.
Old 03-18-21, 03:42 PM
Tommy_L

Bikes: 2014 Roubaix SL4, 2017 Giant TCX.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've done a few group rides over COVID but I think outdoor activities where you're on the move are very low risk. Its the static component of meeting up with people that could pose a risk I guess. I'll be riding in groups regularly after a jab.
Likes For Tommy_L:
Old 03-18-21, 04:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Been riding all year with anyone who'll have me. If the risk outside and in the open were not very low, we would certainly know by now.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-18-21, 04:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This weekend I'm restarting my 25 y.o. group ride series, which was suspended last February. It'll be 40 miles in the rain (sucks, but it's March), for vaccinated riders only. I have "Vaccinated" buttons to give to the riders if anyone shows up.
Carbon fiber, of course.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-18-21, 04:52 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Classes are about to start again at the velodrome. Everyone will be wearing masks even while riding. It could be an over abundance of caution, though.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 03-18-21, 05:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I stopped all my group rides a year ago. Did only solo for a few months. Once it became clear outdoor spread was less likely I relaxed and started small group rides with a close circle of a few friends. I think it’s maybe still too soon to do big group rides but like most complicated issues in life there is no perfect answer.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-18-21, 05:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I stopped all my group rides a year ago. Did only solo for a few months. Once it became clear outdoor spread was less likely I relaxed and started small group rides with a close circle of a few friends. I think it’s maybe still too soon to do big group rides but like most complicated issues in life there is no perfect answer.
“Anyone who’ll have me” is still a smaller set than @datlas’s “circle of a few friends.”
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-18-21, 06:10 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'm vaccinated (military and was in first 5%) but we have to maintain 6 feet separation if exercising. Not sure that can actually be done in a group ride but being vaccinated I'm sure that I'm not going to catch or transmit COVID on a group ride. If I weren't being ordered to I'd likely go on a group ride.
Old 03-18-21, 09:15 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not that worried about the risk from group rides, but my club has suspended them, & now out of the habit.

I did do one a couple of weeks ago, & it was fine, except for my not-great fitness level.

I heard a qualified expert say recently that you could be in a car with someone who had COVID and be pretty safe if you just cracked all the windows.

If that is true, then being in open air on bikes with presumably non-sick folks has got to be much more safe.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-19-21, 01:14 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This weekend I'm restarting my 25 y.o. group ride series, which was suspended last February. It'll be 40 miles in the rain (sucks, but it's March), for vaccinated riders only. I have "Vaccinated" buttons to give to the riders if anyone shows up. My wife and I will be on the tandem. We'll be 2 weeks past our second shot.

We've been working out all winter to just be able to do 40 miles. Blech. Hopefully this will continue to blossom into a normal season. The big event rides here have been cancelled but we've been training as though they haven't.
Does one have to show proof of vaccination to get a button?
And if so, what then is the purpose of the button?
Good stuff.
Old 03-19-21, 02:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
After I'm vaccinated... maybe.

I've taken the pandemic very seriously all along because I worked in health care and several friends are doctors, nurses, EMTs and med techs. There's no doubt about how serious this is.

Toward the end of 2020 I began to relax a bit and I'd join *one* casual group ride a month for most months from July 2020-Jan 2021. I usually wore a mask because it was a relaxed pace and I was often at the back of the group as sweep and traffic guard. I haven't done any fast roadie group rides since late 2019 when I first heard news of the pandemic. And probably won't again anyway.

But I quit doing even one casual group ride a month after January when a friend who's about 10 years younger (I'm 63) developed COVID and is suffering the "long haul" after effects. Despite being in his early 50s, he's one of the strongest local riders and owns many local KOMs. When we rode together he always had to ride a very relaxed pace -- for him -- otherwise I'd be dropped within a few miles. But now he can barely turn the cranks. I noticed recently he hadn't posted on Strava for a month -- he usually rides or does Zwift every day -- and messaged him. He's struggling.

If a guy that strong can suffer those ominous lingering after effects, I'm not taking any chances.

There's one small group of close friends I'll ride with. We're all pretty much on board with reasonable precautions.

But others I know, especially in faster road groups, still contain vehement pandemic denialists who refuse to acknowledge it's real and won't get the vaccine. And that's despite the deaths of some of their parents and grandparents from COVID. At least one is even a health care professional -- I will never understand those people denying the reality of the coronavirus. I will never ride with those folks again. I won't fuss at them on social media. I still give 'em kudos on Strava. They're okay people. I wish them well. But I won't ride in their plague rat spittle clouds again.

TBH, I probably won't miss the fast roadie groups. I've changed my goals to solo time trials anyway, and resumed running a few months ago which is already a mostly solo thing. It'll be awhile before I do even a "fun" 5k group run, though.
Old 03-19-21, 02:54 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
We're currently only allowed to ride in pairs in England (different rules for the rest of the UK), with group rides returning at the end of March. From then, if you're just a group of friends going out for a ride, it's limited to a group of 6. If it's a sanctioned club ride, apparently groups of up to 15 will be allowed. How anyone will be able to tell the difference between a sanctioned club ride and a group of friends just out for a ride is beyond me. My club will be resuming rides, but will be having smaller groups going out, and not the max of 15 riders. I will be joining the occasional club ride, but will form a group with my friends whom I've been riding with throughout the past year. I'm not worried about riding outside with my friends. It's a low risk environment. I am more at risk going to work every day, seeing as I work in a university and spend a lot of face to face time with groups of students.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.