Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which bike is best for the money and a first bike?
2011 Cannondale Supersix 5 105
33.33%
2012 Giant Defy 3
16.67%
New, $1500 Gravel bike (I’d have to save up for a bit)
16.67%
Not sure, I’d keep looking
33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

First Bike Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 05:58 AM
Devon86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Bike Advice

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first bike (I’ve borrowed others or had cheap hybrids as a kid). I am wanting to lightly train for a sprint triathlon, and also have a good bike for possibly commuting in the future/pleasure rides.

I don’t fully know my budget. I originally set out to spend a few hundred for a “prove it bike”, but found that was going to be tough. I was open to $400-$500 for a good used bike, but was almost ready to pull the trigger on a new REI co-op 3.1 adventure bike for $1100 only to find they sold out the same day as I guess the market is tough right now.

I’ve found a 2012 Giant Defy 3 for $250 and a 2011 Cannondale Supersix 5 105 for $650. I like the looks of the cannondale a lot more, and it’s full carbon, but I’m wondering how much of a difference all of that will make given the age (and is it worth the $400 extra dollars). I don’t think I’ll find a quality gravel bike in my range, so am ok with a nice road bike...I’m hoping to put as wide and comfortable of tires as I can on them.

Does anyone have any guidance on these two? Do those seem like decent deal? Will I regret not spending $1500 on a nice gravel bike? Will I be able to resale that Cannondale for a decent price in a few years if I decide I like it and want to get that gravel bike? Could I put light panniers/fenders on it if I choose to commute in the fall? Sorry for so many questions, haha.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Devon86; 03-22-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 06:11 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
If you don't have decent gear - pedals/cleats/shoes, shorts, jerseys, sunglasses (eye protection), jacket, gilet, helmet, gloves, etc. - I'd buy low on the bike and think about all the "little things" that will add up to complete the budget.

Then after you've done a few thousand kms, you'll have a much better idea of exactly what you want in a bike, and you can transfer all of those goodies with you to the new bike.
Old 03-22-21, 06:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm sorry, Devon, but there's no definitive answer to your question. ridelikeaturtle ^ has a point. If you were to buy the Defy, then you would have money left over for some of the necessities. Maybe take it to a bike shop for a complete check, replacing whichever consumables are worn out. They'll get the adjustments right for you, too. The remainder can get you a decent helmet, floor pump, patch kit, tire levers, on-bike inflation (frame pump or CO2 inflator), and whatever you lack in basic apparel to get started. At this point, you don't know what you don't know. But you can learn by simply doing.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-22-21, 07:15 AM
gene99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
a "hood used" bike? a defy 3 for $250? super six 105 for $650?

sounds like you are dealing with stolen bikes, Devon, and you know it.