Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noisy thru axle front wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 10:45 AM
JdUk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I´m looking for some advice about a sound coming from a front wheel, that I am struggling to diagnose. I recently bought a new Rondo AL2, which I´m super happy with, and it´s the first bike I have owned with thru axle wheels. On Rondo´s, the front is 15/100mm.

I have the opportunity to buy a second pair of used wheels, which I want so that I can use a set of 30c Challenge Strada Bianca´s as well/ instead of the 40c Gravelking SK´s I put on the bike when I got it. The second, used pair are also Rondo stock wheels, and came off an ST model (probably 2019ish). They are in great condition overall, and roll completely true, but there is a strange rubbing sound coming from the hub area on the front wheel.

When I take off the end caps and spin the wheel by holding the bearing rings, they are totally smooth, but when I spin the wheel with the cups in place- both in my hands and when it is tightened onto the fork- there is a consistent, rhythmical rubbing noise (slightly less so when the wheel is in the fork). It seems to me as if the end caps themselves are rubbing slightly against their housing inside the hub. Again, this seems to happen even when the cups/ bearing rings/ axle are in line and tightened into the fork. It´s strange and annoying because other than this issue with the front, the wheels are a bargain! The bike itself is two weeks old, and all threaded parts are suitably greased. I have tried a small extra amount of grease around the rubber gasket on each end cap. Same result.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I would suppose that replacing the sealed bearing rings is an option, or re-packing the current ones, but (to re-cap), they feel and sound completely fine when I have them exposed. I am convinced it has something to do with the end caps, which are kind of loose (although certainly do fit and are original), when they are pushed into the hub.

The current owner is kindly waiting for me to decide, based on this, whether or not I buy the wheels. As I said at the top, I´m new to thru axle and honestly can´t tell if this is an easy fix/ typical problem and a good buy, or a more tricky and potentially expensive headache to firgure out.

Any tips/ ideas and suggestions welcome with thanks!
Old 03-27-21, 10:46 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I take my first response back. I looked up your service manual. I was not aware that you had sealed bearings in your hub. My mistake-I am sure someone with experience regarding your bike will chime in soon. You might want to move this thread or start a new one in Bicycle Mechanics. I'm sure it's nothing major. Good luck,

Last edited by Bigbus; 03-27-21 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 11:01 AM
JdUk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reponse. To be clear, this means removing and re-pressing the bearings, right?

Last edited by JdUk; 03-27-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-27-21, 06:46 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by JdUk
Thanks for the quick reponse. To be clear, this means removing and re-pressing the bearings, right?
I edited my original post, sorry.
Old 03-27-21, 07:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
usually the squeak like sound is due to poor lubrication, leaving the seal & bearing to cause friction. If you pack wheel bearing grease in-between the seal & bearing, does the sound change or go away?
Old 03-28-21, 04:38 AM
JdUk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
usually the squeak like sound is due to poor lubrication, leaving the seal & bearing to cause friction. If you pack wheel bearing grease in-between the seal & bearing, does the sound change or go away?

I did pack the space between the sealed bearings and the end caps as an experiment. It did lower the sound but not remove it completely, and struck me as not a very long-term solution.
Old 03-28-21, 08:02 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by JdUk
I did pack the space between the sealed bearings and the end caps as an experiment. It did lower the sound but not remove it completely, and struck me as not a very long-term solution.
Replace the cartridge bearings & maybe seals. It should then be quiet.