Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Brompton] Add disk brake to original fork?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-01-18, 06:24 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts

Hello,

I'm not technical but I could find someone who knows about welding/brazing/soldering.

Out of curiosity, what would it take to add a disk brake to the original fork? Do I just need to add a contraption on the fork to hold the disk caliper?

I'm interested in having a disk brake in the front, but €500 is a bit too much money.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-18, 07:05 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
what would it take to add a disk brake to the original fork?
Probably at first a wider original fork. currently the original needs a 74mm hub (vs. 100mm "usual" size) - when adding a disc brake it would to be even slimmer. Not sure if i.e. Dahon or Tern do have 74mm disc hubs. Other than that I would not be sure if the current original Brompton forks are suited well to fit the forces from disc brakes (that are different from those of rim brakes).
Old 06-01-18, 12:40 PM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at the Brompton fork shape I think it is designed to flex a little to soak in the bumps. This will not be ideal for disk brakes as the caliper will rub the rotor even if you manage to weld/braze a mount. I am not an expert and maybe it's doable if you are riding around town and not going down mountain passes. Road bikes without shocks have disk brakes now.
Old 06-01-18, 01:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
A disc means that you have to have a much stronger fork blade to avoid bending it. A regular large wheel bike would have to have a much stronger fork than a small wheel bike, but still even on your small wheel bike you are risking damage to the bike and yourself if you try it.
Old 06-01-18, 02:42 PM
Winfried

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-02-18, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
has to be 10cm wide too, not 7.4 , you need to buy Ben Cooper's upgrade frame parts .

get the set with an Alfine disc hub compatible rear end. too..

you can even use French-British rail via the Chunnel, get to Glasgow, in Person.

Old 10-24-19, 11:58 AM
Winfried

I notice there are 74mm disk hubs, and adapters are available to retrofit disk calipers on bikes with rim brakes.

Would a Brompton fork have to be significantly hardened to withstand a disk brake?

And to avoid increasing the depth of the bike while folded, what about installing the disk on the right instead?

Old 10-24-19, 03:35 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Can't provide any input here, but just wanted to say that it would be nice to have at least one disk or the option for disk brakes. My first mile is a long descent and I don't particular like using calipers to slow down, especially when wet. My rims get quite toasty.
Old 10-24-19, 04:23 PM
Winfried

If no one's done it and people shell out big buck$ for tailor-made forks from Kinetics, Eerder Metaal, et al., I guess it's either not doable or unsafe with the original fork.
Old 03-28-21, 02:19 PM
Winfried

Incidently, several manufacturers* offer a front hub motor to turn a regular Brompton into an e-bike.

If the original fork is strong enough to withstand a hub motor with a torque of about 50Nm, wouldn't it be able to also take the force from a disk brake?

If all it takes is finding a competent LBS to weld a disk caliper adapter on the right side to fit the Brompton's folding, getting the kind of 74mm wide hub I mentioned above, and building a wheel… it'd be a nice upgrade.

Of is the effort from a disk brake very different from a hub motor?

* AKM-F, Crystalyte NSM/SAW20, Swytch, MkXR, Q70, etc.
Old 03-28-21, 07:27 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Incidently, several manufacturers* offer a front hub motor to turn a regular Brompton into an e-bike.

If the original fork is strong enough to withstand a hub motor with a torque of about 50Nm, wouldn't it be able to also take the force from a disk brake?

If all it takes is finding a competent LBS to weld a disk caliper adapter on the right side to fit the Brompton's folding, getting the kind of 74mm wide hub I mentioned above, and building a wheel… it'd be a nice upgrade.

Of is the effort from a disk brake very different from a hub motor?
Braking forces are much greater because the acceleration is much stronger. Your braking from speed in just a couple of seconds. That is a lot force. F=MA where A is the change of speed with time.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 03-30-21, 12:07 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
You can buy a carbon fork with disk tabs and 74 mm dropout on aliexpress for $65, but I'd sooner have tabs welded onto a steel fork. Those adapters are pretty weak. I paid $3 for one and decided it was it really flimsy, and it only fits certain fork geometries. Some people just tack weld them to their forks and add a little reinforcement.

My Downtube (100mm suspension forks) has tabs for disks, but I would have to spoke a hub up to get rotor capability. I've found that in general, adding rotors/calipers to a bike that had good rim brakes is a wash at best. It's only good if you do a lot of wheel removal.
Old 03-30-21, 03:46 PM
Winfried

Are there standard forks that fit the Brompton?
Old 03-31-21, 02:03 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
It s not just the fork you need to upgrade, you need a strong headset too and the Brompton OEM bearing are unlikely strong enough to handle the added cantilever load.
to convert to front disc brake (especially hydraulic with 160mm disc), you would be a 16" fork with 100mm hub space that follow this design:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCR...fork-disc-only
Or a Aluminium Hydro fork or carbon (not cheap or easy to hand craft)

and you would need to fit something like a BMX headset

Basically do what tern did with the Verge x11 or get Ben Cooper's kit: https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/fo...n-disc-brakes/
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 03-31-21, 08:07 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Without what is known as a thru-axle, a disc brake will not live up to its potential and, could be very disappointing. If the disc fork has a "C" shape in the part of the dropout where the axle goes, I recommend leaving it to rot on the retail floor. If investing in a custom-built disc fork, make sure that it's made with a thru-axle.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 04-01-21, 04:31 AM
Winfried

My big bike with disk brakes has an open fork (not thru-axle)
Old 04-01-21, 06:01 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
I agree, I have several disc brakes bikes, none has thru-axle but braking is excellent (including on a tandem bike on which the brakes must stop a much higher load than on a solo bike).

Remember that disc brakes were used well before thu-axle and performed very well.

What is well needed on the fork dropout is something that prevent the wheel to jump out of the dropouts.
Old 04-01-21, 07:08 AM
Winfried

So, as an option, Brompton could offer a 74mm wide disk fork — with the disk on the right-side to avoid interfering with the fold à la Birdy — without making the bike much wider.

Old 04-01-21, 10:18 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I agree, I have several disc brakes bikes, none has thru-axle but braking is excellent (including on a tandem bike on which the brakes must stop a much higher load than on a solo bike).

Remember that disc brakes were used well before thu-axle and performed very well.

What is well needed on the fork dropout is something that prevent the wheel to jump out of the dropouts.
That's what the thru-axle system is. You are refusing a good thing (thru-axle) just to refuse it.
Old 04-01-21, 10:43 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
The Birdy has a 100mm OLD front.

But the disc mount is not only on the right side of the bike, the disc is also placed closer to the center of the wheel than on a standard front disc wheel (actually, the distance from the dropout to the disc of the Birdy front wheel is the same as the distance between dropout and disc on a standard rear wheel).

The thru-axle is just one solution, the others with pins or grooves.. also work.