Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Old 04-05-21, 07:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I need to go to my LBS and look at a Varia. My wife and I are both short and don’t have a lot of seatpost out. I’m wondering if I mounted the Varia that I’d have to remove our seat packs.the way it is now, it’s hard to get a lighthouse show above the rear wheel.
I believe you could mount it on the saddle bag if there is a loop on the bag.
Old 04-05-21, 07:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I believe you could mount it on the saddle bag if there is a loop on the bag.
I'll try to get to my LBS this week. If I recall, Garmin is one of those fair traded items so I might as well buy there as on the net.

Old 04-05-21, 08:00 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
I'll try to get to my LBS this week. If I recall, Garmin is one of those fair traded items so I might as well buy there as on the net.
I found the last one I bought for $30 off online through Performance Bike. REI is currently at $119 for the unit without tail light. That's the one we both have due to having saddle mounted tail lights on our bikes.
Old 04-05-21, 08:09 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Looks like there are a few seat-rail mounting options available on eBay or Amazon. No seatstay mounts that I can find.
Old 04-05-21, 09:00 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
I need to go to my LBS and look at a Varia. My wife and I are both short and don’t have a lot of seatpost out. I’m wondering if I mounted the Varia that I’d have to remove our seat packs.the way it is now, it’s hard to get a lighthouse show above the rear wheel.
One of the cyclists I ride with has it mounted on her left seatstay.
Old 04-05-21, 09:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Didn't DynaDrive pedals have bearing issues?

Nice chrome head tube lugs
​​​​​
Thanks! Funny thing is, over most of the frame, chipped paint reveals what looks like chrome. The paint doesn't look like Cromovelato, but it does complicate touching it up.

They may well have had bearing problems. I do know they were not widely adopted, unlike indexed shifting. And I don't know if I really want to go all clips and straps. So I bought some adapters to put a regular clipless pedal into that huge hole in the end of the crank.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-21, 09:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
Maybe my risk-o-meter needs recalibrating, but even though I get hurt reasonably often on my MTB I'm much more worried about crashing on a road bike. Most of the MTB injuries are little bumps and bruises.

It's one thing to punch a tree with my hand on the bars or wash out on a loose turn - totally different to fall on pavement. Speeds on my MTB are so much slower and dirt doesn't usually give you road rash (or ruin your kit!).

Also while that image looks like I might be about to launch into the mesosphere, it's a screenshot from a very unimpressive video I bet I never got more than 18" off the ground.
I avoid jumping for the most part but once in a while I get a little air. I like that little bit of silence when the tires leave the ground. I'm wearing the stupid Camelbak which tends to rise up when I jump, I guess I could start wearing the lower strap. Better to just stay on the ground.

I was never a big jumper on the motorcycle but I got pretty good at jumping off surprise obstacles. I need to practice that on the mtb, hucking off rocks and stuff. Or not.
Old 04-05-21, 09:19 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by genejockey
Thanks! Funny thing is, over most of the frame, chipped paint reveals what looks like chrome. The paint doesn't look like Cromovelato, but it does complicate touching it up.

They may well have had bearing problems. I do know they were not widely adopted, unlike indexed shifting. And I don't know if I really want to go all clips and straps. So I bought some adapters to put a regular clipless pedal into that huge hole in the end of the crank.
Since the head lugs, DS chainstay, and what looks like the fork crown are chromed, it's a safe bet that the entire frameset is chrome underneath. Way easier to plate the whole thing then bother with masking parts of it off. I do anticipate that the only parts that are polished are the aforementioned areas, so while it's fully chromed stripping the paint would reveal a pretty rough finish. Not that I assume you're intending on that, just FWIW

Nice of them to make the pedal threads bigger than normal threading so that adapters can be made
Old 04-05-21, 09:27 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by big john
I avoid jumping for the most part but once in a while I get a little air. I like that little bit of silence when the tires leave the ground. I'm wearing the stupid Camelbak which tends to rise up when I jump, I guess I could start wearing the lower strap. Better to just stay on the ground.

I was never a big jumper on the motorcycle but I got pretty good at jumping off surprise obstacles. I need to practice that on the mtb, hucking off rocks and stuff. Or not.
Same here. I like to feel a little bit rad, but anything actually big or consequential I'll chicken out on. A couple of years ago my buddy took me to a park that had dedicated jump lines and that was a bunch of fun but they weren't really all that big.

I finally ditched the camelback this year and I really love the feeling. My rides are usually only an hour-ish though.
Old 04-05-21, 09:50 AM
big john

Same here. I like to feel a little bit rad, but anything actually big or consequential I'll chicken out on. A couple of years ago my buddy took me to a park that had dedicated jump lines and that was a bunch of fun but they weren't really all that big.

I finally ditched the camelback this year and I really love the feeling. My rides are usually only an hour-ish though.
I'd like to leave the Camelbak at home on short rides, I used to do that on my old bike but this bike doesn't have a lot of frame mount eyelets. It has bottle mount bosses under the shock but I haven't tried to put a cage there. It would probably have to be a side exit cage and only a small bottle. Then all the other stuff I would put in a seatbag but that might interfere with the dropper. I just have to try it and see.

I've had the thing for 3 years now and sometimes I think a lighter, short travel or even hardtail would be better, especially on grueling climbs. Then I do something like I did last Wednesday with lots of rocks and ruts and I appreciate the burl. Maybe some Nigerian prince will need a place to put his money and I can try other bikes.
Old 04-05-21, 09:59 AM
big john

Maybe one like this.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-05-21, 09:59 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
One of the great things about it is you can look at a route and see how many cars passed etc. and yea, even if constant it’s worth it because you can see groups of cars etc.
Where do you find that? All I have is Garmin Connect and I see nothing like that anywhere.

PS, I like the Varia so much I have the old and new version and solid mounts on every bike.
Old 04-05-21, 10:24 AM
abshipp 

I'd like to leave the Camelbak at home on short rides, I used to do that on my old bike but this bike doesn't have a lot of frame mount eyelets. It has bottle mount bosses under the shock but I haven't tried to put a cage there. It would probably have to be a side exit cage and only a small bottle. Then all the other stuff I would put in a seatbag but that might interfere with the dropper. I just have to try it and see.

I've had the thing for 3 years now and sometimes I think a lighter, short travel or even hardtail would be better, especially on grueling climbs. Then I do something like I did last Wednesday with lots of rocks and ruts and I appreciate the burl. Maybe some Nigerian prince will need a place to put his money and I can try other bikes.
Mine has two sets of bottle eyelets, one set on the DT and one set underneath the DT. Not sure what exactly they were thinking with those underneath considering it was marketed as an aggressive hardtail, but whatever. I used to carry my repair kit inside my camelback since the usual seat bags don't work properly with the dropper, but I finally got one of those Lizard Skin Tube Straps and now everything's tucked neatly under the saddle. I'm keeping an eye on it though since it's not quite as solid as I'd like it to be. I noticed it slipping mid-ride yesterday but I really wrenched it down and it seemed stable for the rest of the ride.

A rock ate my RD late last season so I've been running singlespeed at 30x18 on 29x2.2 (622x55) tires and that's pretty ideal for around here. I'd actually like to go rigid with the SS setup but just haven't seriously looked for an appropriate fork yet. That would probably take it down to mid-high 20lbs especially if I got a carbon fork. I don't think rigid SS would fly where I'm moving though. Maybe some trails but I've been told there's some serious chunk out in Pisgah NF. Oh, and actual mountains with extended climbs

Didn't WhyFi say something about buying everyone here new bikes?
Old 04-05-21, 10:32 AM
big john

Didn't WhyFi say something about buying everyone here new bikes?
He did, but I don't think his ship came in.
Old 04-05-21, 10:58 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Someone looking for a power meter? I don't know how good these are, but seems like a good deal:

https://www.probikekit.com/brands/4i...get_id=2599078
Old 04-05-21, 11:24 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
See my posting above. Our house had that but it falls apart (delaminates) if not maintained. We replaced it with vinyl siding, which we hope lasts the lifetime of the house.
what's your question?
Old 04-05-21, 11:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by ls01
what's your question?
No question.

I believe my comment was in response to a mention of T-111, which is a plywood/composite "engineered wood" siding product. It requires some maintenance compared to other siding products.
Old 04-05-21, 11:34 AM
ls01
he said member

Pics. We replaced crappy T-111 with this about 18 years ago.

That's soffit material ran as siding vertically. I did the parapet walls on the first offices for the Butthole I used to travel for like that.
Old 04-05-21, 11:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Beautiful little ride today. Legs have finally come back from the last weight session, which was 8 days ago. I'm going to lay off that stuff for the rest of the season.
Old 04-05-21, 11:45 AM
ls01
he said member

Speed limit is 65mph almost all of California. If the freeway is clear and you are doing 75 you will irritate a lot of drivers as they take chances to try and get around you. I hate it. It sucks driving here now for a different reason than it used to.
Since covid, cops aren't pulling people over. I believe that their quotas have been suspended. 80 mph in the am isn't unusual, and people go faster than that. I had to hit 90 to get around this one dude this morning, man he was stubborn!
2nd place is just the first loser!
Likes For ls01:
Old 04-05-21, 11:50 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Lost my cool with a driver for the first time in just about forever this morning. Guy towing a boat started blowing his horn behind me to get around on a no shoulder road. Then he decided to pass with a vehicle coming the other direction, I’d stayed left so he wouldn’t try to pass with the other car coming. He ran them off the road and swerved back and nearly clipped me with his trailer.

I caught up to him a gas station and asked “Are you trying to kill someone or just ******g stupid?”

he got in my face (thankfully I had a face cover on because it was freezing) and told me bikes don’t belong on road. I thought he was actually going to take a swing at me.
just call the cops. Trying to seek reason from a moron is an exercise in futility.
Likes For ls01:
Old 04-05-21, 11:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Beautiful little ride today. Legs have finally come back from the last weight session, which was 8 days ago. I'm going to lay off that stuff for the rest of the season.
Kudos. I would have loved to ride today but Mondays are always a busy day with work. It looks like a perfect day for a ride.
Old 04-05-21, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
One of the cyclists I ride with has it mounted on her left seatstay.
The only bike with a seatpost that can fit a saddle bag, the Varia, and a light is the Canyon. I think all the others are going to have to get lights on the seatstay(s)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-21, 11:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Where do you find that? All I have is Garmin Connect and I see nothing like that anywhere.

PS, I like the Varia so much I have the old and new version and solid mounts on every bike.
should have clarified- it’s a Garmin iq app- my bike radar

Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-05-21, 11:56 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by BillyD
So many jackasses, so little time.
sheets, come to MI. You wanna see jackasses, every 3rd car! And each one is trying to out do the one before it.

A guy from the Saturday group got hit last weekend. He's all road rashed up. Thinks his bike is ok. Hope he's right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.