Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Screw road bikes, way too scary/dangerous..for me

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-12-21, 06:27 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I did a solid ass ride yesterday (with my gravel bike) and almost got hit by a motorcyclist who passed me probably going over 125mph, on a normal road. Insanity. This is exactly why I DO NOT own a road bike! I do love the road bike speed and the look of those bikes but screw riding on roads 100% of the time out on my rides. It’s simply WAY too dangerous and scary for me. This is why i decided on a gravel bike instead. That way i can ride in the woods, forests, trails, small dirt/gravel roads, quieter ****tier paved roads, etc. Of course i have to ride on normal roads here and there but i avoid it as much as possible. man, i just don’t get how road bike dudes/women risk it, hours at a time out on only roads. just my random rant...
Old 04-12-21, 06:46 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I think it depends on where someone lives...also road choice is critical. But, as for the fun on gravel, it is different than road riding, but no less so. Nothing quite like bombing down long gravel descents and climbing a huge hill (or mountain) and taking in a stunning natural panorama.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-12-21, 06:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yeah, general traffic danger is a commonly cited reason for riding gravel instead of paved roads. Everyone's risk tolerance and perception is different, so its great that there are so many types of surfaces we can use for cycling.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-12-21, 08:40 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Riding on secluded gravel roads and trails where no-gooders can prey on others with little fear of being seen or caught carries risks too. Some of us feel safer on semi busy / busy roads.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-12-21, 08:41 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Riding on secluded gravel roads where no-gooders can prey on others with little fear of being seen or caught carries risks too. Some of us feel safer on semi busy / busy roads.
interesting. what do you mean? like being attacked by people? where do you live??
Old 04-12-21, 08:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I did a solid ass ride yesterday (with my gravel bike) and almost got hit by a motorcyclist who passed me probably going over 125mph, on a normal road. Insanity. This is exactly why I DO NOT own a road bike! I do love the road bike speed and the look of those bikes but screw riding on roads 100% of the time out on my rides. It’s simply WAY too dangerous and scary for me. This is why i decided on a gravel bike instead. That way i can ride in the woods, forests, trails, small dirt/gravel roads, quieter ****tier paved roads, etc. Of course i have to ride on normal roads here and there but i avoid it as much as possible. man, i just don’t get how road bike dudes/women risk it, hours at a time out on only roads. just my random rant...
You need some growing up.
Try riding with Trucks.

OR

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-12-21 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-12-21, 08:46 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You need some growing up.
Try riding with Trucks.

lol.. **ck no
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 04-12-21, 08:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Sharon has 200,000 Safe Miles on Her LEGS

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-12-21, 09:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

interesting. what do you mean? like being attacked by people? where do you live??
Right. I don't believe it's dangerously common in my area but can and does happen.

Regarding your dangerous motorcycle buzz did you see it coming? Were you maintaining space to your right to glide into so you could increase your safety buffer? If no to either then I consider that a failure to properly take full responsibility for ones safety.
Old 04-12-21, 09:45 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
My scariest time with my bike doesn't involve traffic. It was riding downhill on a rarely traveled gravel trail. I must of hit a soft spot, or rut, or rock, to this day I really can't remember. I flipped over the handlebars and lay on the ground unconscious for 5min? 10min? again I really don't know. When regained consciousness my helmet and face where covered in blood. Luckily I made it back, I must have looked really bad because cars kept stopping to ask if I was OK when I got back to town. I never really rode my MTB alone again. Not sure if any cars would stop for a cyclist fallen on the road these days, but I'm hoping the odds are little better.
Old 04-12-21, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Riding on secluded gravel roads and trails where no-gooders can prey on others with little fear of being seen or caught carries risks too. Some of us feel safer on semi busy / busy roads.

99 out of 100 the complaint is that roads are dangerous due to distracted drivers vs gravel and singletrack is dangerous due to ne'er-do-wells jumping out and attacking you.

On rural roads and singletrack I am more concerned that a deer will error when running and impale me. Seriously, that is what I fear more than being hit by a car and for sure more than being attacked.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-12-21, 10:49 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
My scariest time with my bike doesn't involve traffic. It was riding downhill on a rarely traveled gravel trail. I must of hit a soft spot, or rut, or rock, to this day I really can't remember. I flipped over the handlebars and lay on the ground unconscious for 5min? 10min? again I really don't know. When regained consciousness my helmet and face where covered in blood. Luckily I made it back, I must have looked really bad because cars kept stopping to ask if I was OK when I got back to town. I never really rode my MTB alone again. Not sure if any cars would stop for a cyclist fallen on the road these days, but I'm hoping the odds are little better.
They are.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

99 out of 100 the complaint is that roads are dangerous due to distracted drivers vs gravel and singletrack is dangerous due to ne'er-do-wells jumping out and attacking you.

On rural roads and singletrack I am more concerned that a deer will error when running and impale me. Seriously, that is what I fear more than being hit by a car and for sure more than being attacked.
Agreed that animals are a bigger threat than distracted motorists. Especially on my morning commutes in the dark. And it doesn't even need to be a deer. (which I see often) A raccoon or any other small animal crossing into ones path at just the wrong time would be more than enough to cause a major wreck. As for human attacks, they are certainly more common in secluded areas, and for good reason... lack of witnesses. My workplace fired a guy a few years back when it became known that he was convicted of rapping a teen on a quiet trail. I doubt he ever tried this on a busy street.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-12-21, 11:30 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts

You've obviously never had a gun pulled on you by a redneck in a truck...
Old 04-12-21, 11:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by shoota
No that hasnt happened to me. Thatd for sure be something that stuck with me for a long time.
A couple years ago someone rolled coal at a stop sign, that was both pathetic and the most confrontational a car has been with me.

Pulling a gun = me needing new bibs
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-12-21, 11:41 AM
shoota 

No that hasnt happened to me. Thatd for sure be something that stuck with me for a long time.
A couple years ago someone rolled coal at a stop sign, that was both pathetic and the most confrontational a car has been with me.

Pulling a gun = me needing new bibs
Yeah it wasn't fun. Rolling coal is a common thing around here unfortunately.
Old 04-12-21, 12:06 PM
eaglesandcycling

Yeah it wasn't fun. Rolling coal is a common thing around here unfortunately.
wth does 'rolling coal' mean?? lol
Old 04-12-21, 12:08 PM
shoota 

wth does 'rolling coal' mean?? lol
Old 04-12-21, 12:14 PM
eaglesandcycling

haha. nice..yah, im in Europe (im American though). that American redneck type doesnt really exist here Euros have their own special type of rednecks but US rednecks are very special!!
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 04-12-21, 01:13 PM
shoota 

haha. nice..yah, im in Europe (im American though). that American redneck type doesnt really exist here Euros have their own special type of rednecks but US rednecks are very special!!
Yeah man US rednecks are a real special breed.
Old 04-12-21, 05:51 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
For all of the fear that people have for Chicago, apparently city thugs are better citizens than rural rednecks. I've never been threatened here.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 04-12-21, 11:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by mdarnton
For all of the fear that people have for Chicago, apparently city thugs are better citizens than rural rednecks. I've never been threatened here.
I grew up in the north and northwest suburbs and as an adult have ridden countless miles in the north, west, and southwest as well as downtown on the north side.

Can't say I ever felt unsafe at any point.
But I've ridden thousands and thousands of gravel miles in rural IA and also haven't ever felt unsafe.

I really hope a gun being pulled out of frustration on a cyclist is something that only one poster can claim. That isn't something that should happen anywhere in any situation. What the hell, thats insane.
Old 04-13-21, 07:32 AM
shoota 

I grew up in the north and northwest suburbs and as an adult have ridden countless miles in the north, west, and southwest as well as downtown on the north side.

Can't say I ever felt unsafe at any point.
But I've ridden thousands and thousands of gravel miles in rural IA and also haven't ever felt unsafe.

I really hope a gun being pulled out of frustration on a cyclist is something that only one poster can claim. That isn't something that should happen anywhere in any situation. What the hell, thats insane.
Iowa doesn't really have rednecks like Oklahoma does. I can't imagine feeling unsafe in Iowa tbh. I don't know of anyone else that has had this happen but I've heard plenty of other weird stories. Anyway, I guess my point is that when someone says they feel safer on busier roads I can totally understand that.
Old 04-13-21, 10:29 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I donated my old and well-worn road bike to a bicycle co-op in 2019 because I live where gravel trails are everywhere and I was tired of being limited to pavement on 700x25 tires. I rode it on gravel sometimes, but it wasn't as fun as the mountain bike was on gravel, so I bought a Cross Check to replace the Allez. Now I can head out on a weekend morning with no particular destination in mind and ride road, gravel, and off-road trails without thinking I'm on the "wrong" bike.

Thankfully, I was motivated by fun instead of fear.
Likes For Squeeze:
Old 04-13-21, 01:27 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
I own both a road and gravel bike. I do ride the gravel bike on paved roads to get to 'gravel', when it's wet out and I trust the gravel bike more, and in the winter. If I didn't use the gravel bike on the roads at these times I would probably ride outside only 70% of the time I do now.

Regarding safety on roads, my strategies and thoughts (I use a combination of as many of these as possible):
- use a really bright tail light; sometimes a safety vest if dark out
- mainly riding alone, as far to the right as safe; only ever ride with one other person and we're both on the same page re: safety
- a street where I live has a 40-50k limit and bike lanes both sides...this is my road out of town, and then it's primarily country roads (still have to be careful though)
- ride when it isn't busy (very early in the morning, lunch time on a weekday, after dinner); choose routes based on time of day and avoiding busier routes is priority #1
- look back when clear and safe ahead of you (if a bunch of cars coming, or a truck or something--which is rare--pull over, stop, ride on sidewalk (that's for busier roads)
- stay relaxed, smile and enjoy the ride!
Old 04-13-21, 03:26 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
In my area that is a concern too. Invariably there are more loose dogs running around, which increases the possibility of being bit. The area is somewhat rural, and the police is run by the county which services multiple towns, so it may take a while for the sheriff and animal control to show up if there is an issue.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.