Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Old 04-13-21, 07:50 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The issue is that you can only lose about 5 pounds a week and keep your gall bladder.
Am I reading this right? Under 5lbs lost in a week, A-OK. But over 5lbs in a week and...organs will come out of my body?
Old 04-13-21, 08:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Fat hasn't been a challenge for me, It is losing it and not finding it again that is the problem. I couldn't find a stem I had lost for over a year but fat I lose a bit and the next day it is sitting their waiting for me with a big neon sign...LOL.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-13-21, 09:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I include yogurt and cheese in dairy. They will put fat back on your body.
I'm not advocating for yogurt and cheese; just being honest about what I ate back then. I was eating roughly 4000 calories a day just to maintain weight with very little fat on me so I could afford it easily. And in the mid-70s, my diet was pretty radical. I wasn't hearing people say "you shouldn't eat dairy". What I heard was "you need meat to supply protein to maintain your muscles".
Old 04-13-21, 10:16 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Yep. Biking is only a part of the deal. But getting exercise and viewing food as fuel -- to be regulated in your engine -- I find is a good way to go about it. Eating smaller portions and the meals composed of simpler, natural components is a good way to go. Also -- if you can do it -- giving up nighttime snacking can go a long way. But I'm the first to admit that's a hard one for me. But it needs to be done. All of this can be done. We all know how to do it. Finding the will to execute is an entirely different matter though and that's up to each one of us.

Thanks for a great thread.
Likes For Anatolia:
Old 04-13-21, 11:16 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I suggest, anyone starting this, don't eat anything after lunch. Do this for at least a few months until you get used to it.

Then only eat breakfast. Do this for months until you get used to it.

Then if you really want rapid weight loss, only eat breakfast every second day.

This is satire, right?
Old 04-14-21, 02:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Who knew there were so many weak-minded adults that needed to be told how and what to eat?
Old 04-14-21, 04:51 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Atkins would have less risk imo. Just it can be hella expensive.
Old 04-14-21, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've lost more weight than op and kept it off for several years, doing pretty much nothing like what he's describing. My weight loss advice is very simple--don't give advice, especially to people you don't know.

The key to any program is sustainability. What's sustainable varies too much from person to person for advice to be worth much.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-14-21, 06:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I include yogurt and cheese in dairy. They will put fat back on your body.
no
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-21, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,273 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Am I reading this right? Under 5lbs lost in a week, A-OK. But over 5lbs in a week and...organs will come out of my body?
Possibly a reference to rapid weight loss causing gallstones, which is a thing.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/gallb...y-weight-loss/
Old 04-14-21, 08:12 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 484 Posts
5-10, 149lbs which is totally normal BMI, yet my family [half kiddingly] calls me anorexic. That's how far removed from reality we are in the USA. I see obese people eating crap all the time. At work, in the car, walking. I never eat for fun in a car, or walking. I cant even begin to fathom that. And the stuff people eat: chips, soda, 7-11 stuff. I never eat that ****. Not trying to rub anything in, just noting the dramatic differences in lifestyle. There is cause and effect.

I never eat here. Never. Its not even food.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 04-14-21, 08:23 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
5-10, 149lbs which is totally normal BMI, yet my family [half kiddingly] calls me anorexic. That's how far removed from reality we are in the USA. I see obese people eating crap all the time. At work, in the car, walking. I never eat for fun in a car, or walking. I cant even begin to fathom that. And the stuff people eat: chips, soda, 7-11 stuff. I never eat that ****. Not trying to rub anything in, just noting the dramatic differences in lifestyle. There is cause and effect.

The American way of socializing is to "share" eating traits & exchange the time spent together involving some intake of calories, unfortunately. I cannot speak for other countries, however, some of my past relatives are not natives to the soil & if the recipes that were passed 'down' to my current relatives says anything, well, it mirrors the American way too. Ever since changing my personal ways of eating habits to support my lifestyle, I've noticed less & less of relatives being a part of my life. At the end of the day, I have to take care of myself & don't expect anyone else to do it.

I thought being a kid was hard dealing with being overweight, try living happily with a diet that works well for yourself. You'll find it much harder to stay within your own diet standards.
Old 04-14-21, 08:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Obviously it varies between individuals, but studies have shown that rapid weight loss can lead to gallbladder disease or gallstones. And a severe case of gallstones is sometimes cured by removal of the gallbladder.
The guidelines I have seen say don't try to lose more than 5 pounds a week. That's really difficult anyway. I wouldn't worry in the first week or so, but sustained weight loss of over 5 pounds a week is probably not a good idea.

Tbf, obesity also leads to the formation of gallstones and gallbladder disease.

Moderation is a good approach.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-14-21, 09:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Who knew there were so many weak-minded adults that needed to be told how and what to eat?
You really werent aware that food and nutrition education are struggles for a large percentage of the population? This thread finally made you aware?
Thats insane- where have you been? Nutrition and healty eating is a massive multi-billion dollar industry that has existed for decades now.

On a serious note, its pretty damn lame to view people with weight issues and food struggles as being weak-minded. Very few in life dont struggle to properly balance some part of their life- whether its healthy eating, gambling, exercise, alcohol, drugs, emotional support of others, etc etc.
Its easy to tell someone to do better in one aspect of their life and walk away. Its many times more difficult for people to successfully change habits and lifestyle.

It must be nice to live in that glass house and not have to worry about stones. Not too many of us have such perfect control and understanding of our chemical and emotional cravings.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-21, 09:43 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Obviously it varies between individuals, but studies have shown that rapid weight loss can lead to gallbladder disease or gallstones. And a severe case of gallstones is sometimes cured by removal of the gallbladder.
The guidelines I have seen say don't try to lose more than 5 pounds a week. That's really difficult anyway. I wouldn't worry in the first week or so, but sustained weight loss of over 5 pounds a week is probably not a good idea.

Tbf, obesity also leads to the formation of gallstones and gallbladder disease.

Moderation is a good approach.
See the link in post #40. It suggests more than 3 lbs increases risk. It also goes over the link between obesity and stones. So yes: moderation is a good approach.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-14-21, 10:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DorkDisk

Ugh. Reminds me of the last time I ate something from a major fast food chain. I was doing a long weekend tour to a spot I go to a couple of times every year. 52 miles. There is a Wawa convenience store right at mile 26. Wawa (You have to know Wawa to get it.) actually has a wide variety of stuff, including healthy options like fruit. But on that fateful day I arrived to find that Wawa closed for remodeling. The only practical option was a Burger King across the street. I had not had much for breakfast and had been fighting a headwind all morning, so I ordered two breakfast sandwiches. My God. It was not food. It tasted engineered, and the amount of sodium was through the roof. Before I finished the first one I was belching. Got half way through the second and then tossed it in the trash.

Unfortunately, we are going to get showers off and on for the rest of the day. Otherwise, I would grill a whole fish for dinner and pair it with some sauteed spinach and garlic.
Old 04-14-21, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ivabig1
Staying at a healthy weight is simple...burn more calories than you eat...it’s not a revolutionary idea....

Wow, no one else has thought of that. Obviously, it won't be a problem for anyone anymore.
Old 04-14-21, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You really werent aware that food and nutrition education are struggles for a large percentage of the population? This thread finally made you aware?
Thats insane- where have you been? Nutrition and healty eating is a massive multi-billion dollar industry that has existed for decades now.

On a serious note, its pretty damn lame to view people with weight issues and food struggles as being weak-minded. Very few in life dont struggle to properly balance some part of their life- whether its healthy eating, gambling, exercise, alcohol, drugs, emotional support of others, etc etc.
So far, researchers have identified over 50 genes which are associated with obesity, and they are learning more all the time about other physiological factors. Then there are socio-economic factors, such as people who live in "food deserts" and hence do not have adequate access to reasonably-priced and healthy food. The suggestion that overweight people are all "weak-minded" ignores a whole lot of documented factors.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ugh. Reminds me of the last time I ate something from a major fast food chain.
When people ask how I stay so slim at my age, I tell them that I ride my bikes a lot, and I never eat anything that is commonly handed through a drive-up window. That's not the whole story, of course - but it counts for a lot.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-21, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I don't eat McDonalds, other fast foods, and most chain restaurants like BlackAngus, Applebee's, Olive Garden, heck, I don't even consider those real foods. Like eating cardboard.

But on a century ride, the little group I was with could not find a nearby place to eat along Highway 1, Point Mugu. Only place around was a McDonalds. As much as I didn't want to refuel there, had no choice. I ate a Royal with Cheese (Pulp Fiction ). Man, that thing hit the spot, best tasting burger ever. I went back a few days later to the local McD's and it sucked. Must have been the long late mileage but I have to admit, I enjoyed it that ONE day.

Longest one day ride I ever did was 168 miles, a round trip from my home to Olneyville New York System Weiners in Providence, RI. I forget exactly how many hot dogs I ate at the 84 mile point, but I swore it was one of the best meals I ever had. I drove there with my son a couple months later because I wanted to see what I'd think if I hadn't been that famished. Now it's two of the best meals I've ever had.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-14-21, 11:59 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I eat at McDonald's off and on when traveling. However, being a vegetarian, the only food choice really is the egg breakfast sandwich. Real egg, sourdough biscuit, processed cheese. Not a fan of that exactly but otherwise real food.

Mostly I avoid highly processed foods, sugars and refined carbs.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-14-21, 12:03 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Same here! When I am around my family, seems one of the main topics is about how each family member is staying healthy by eating daily at McDonald's while choosing the healthy choices available. And if I mention eating at home is a better choice, fo'getaboutit! Another inlaw suggests that his doctor told him to keep doing what he is doing as he is keeping his diabetic numbers down. So he continues to pound vodka because the doc suggested it.

Another guy who does not touch fast food here. I actually left a bike group as the rides seem like competitive fun but the meet points are always geared toward places the riders can pound beer after the ride. Being one of the stronger riders, I can never figure out why the riders talk about getting into shape and getting faster but at the end of the ride, they feel the need to pound beer. Heck, might as well start at a McD's.
I try to avoid food topics with any family member. It's worse than talking politics. I accept that my ways will be ridiculed in some manner. So I limit my exposure like they limit there visits. Life's too short to care about what others think.
Old 04-14-21, 01:04 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
At the beginning of last year I was 130kg or 287 lb. Last year I lost 15 kg or 33 lb. Now I have lost a total of 21 kg or 46 lb, and weigh 109 kg or 240 lb.

At the beginning of last year, I might cycle 10 km in a day, and that was challenging. I would walk with the bike up some hills. As I lost weight, I cycled further. I got to the point where I can cycle 60 to 80 km in a day. I now cycle up hills I used to walk up, sometimes in a high gear.

I would like to encourage other fat challenged people to also lose weight. Here is my approach. Others might take a different approach. I am not suggesting anyone has to do exactly what I do.

The key is to be consistent. If you diet for a while, then quit, don't expect to lose weight and keep it off. You need a good diet on a permanent basis.

I avoid fats. You can't lose fat while consuming significant amounts of fat. I avoid, meat, dairy, fried foods and bread. I avoid manufactured and processed foods. I eat fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.

I suggest, anyone starting this, don't eat anything after lunch. Do this for at least a few months until you get used to it.

Then only eat breakfast. Do this for months until you get used to it.

Then if you really want rapid weight loss, only eat breakfast every second day.

I suggest not eating less than that without medical supervision. If you get too extreme, things could go wrong.

When consuming low calories, like this, I sometimes only have enough energy to cycle 20 km in a day. After I have lost more weight, I can increase my calories and cycle further in a day.

I drink a lot of liquids while cycling. Some water, and some healthier type drinks with calories.

I believe I am adding years to my life, and reducing my chance of diabetes and high blood pressure. I would like to encourage others to do the same.
Losing weight is a great idea for many people. So... good for you for that!
But, if you only lost 33 lbs in a year doing a diet as extreme as this, you're doing something wrong. One meal a day of food that generally isn't very calorie dense is a very extreme diet.

Last edited by OBoile; 04-14-21 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 04-14-21, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by OBoile
Losing weight is a great idea for many people. So... good for you for that!
But, if you only lost 33 lbs in a year doing a diet as extreme as this, you're doing something wrong. One meal a day of food that generally isn't very calorie dense is a vary extreme diet.

Yet another reason I don't give advice--it turns every discussion into a competition or an invitation for people to judge. 33 pounds in a year is pretty great if you ask me. I'd last about two weeks on that diet myself, though.

I find it is funny to listen to people explain to me how I lost 150 pounds wrong and how I should do whatever it is they're doing. I will explain to them what I'm doing, and it's as crazy in its own way as what OP is doing. Works for me is all I care about.
Old 04-14-21, 01:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I'll be one to post that I do in fact touch fast food.
I dont have it nearly as often as many, but I clearly have it more frequently than some in this thread.

Im busy + it's convenient = I get it from time to time.
Same for gas station food, though the 3 main chains around me all have kitchens and prepare in the store so it's not like a day old hot dog.

If my daily caloric allowance is 2300 and I consume 1000 calories at a fast food spot, then assuming I do not movement that day I have 1300 left for breakfast, dinner, and snacks.

To a very large degree, weight loss and management is all just calories in vs calories out.
Obviously there is more to proper nutrition than just calories(lime vitamins, minerals, etc) and overall you want to make sure those are balanced.
Eating chik fil a now and then won't unbalance you.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-21, 01:56 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yet another reason I don't give advice--it turns every discussion into a competition or an invitation for people to judge. 33 pounds in a year is pretty great if you ask me. I'd last about two weeks on that diet myself, though.

I find it is funny to listen to people explain to me how I lost 150 pounds wrong and how I should do whatever it is they're doing. I will explain to them what I'm doing, and it's as crazy in its own way as what OP is doing. Works for me is all I care about.
Don't get me wrong. 33 lbs in a year is great. But not if you're eating one meal every other day to do it. That's like going to "Biggest Loser" extremes but without the extreme weight loss.
Likes For OBoile:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.