Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why are Firenze unsafe?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why are Firenze unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 08:32 AM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Why are Firenzes unsafe?

I recently bought a 70s-ish Firenze GL2000 at a thrift store for $10 because it was rolling on brand new Bontragers that could be used elsewhere. (And I thought it was Italian. Sheesh!) Then I read somewhere that back then this Taiwanese brand couldn't be sold in the U.S. because it didn't meet safety standards, so they were given away as promotional items. Does anyone know what the safety concern had been, e.g., brakes, derailleurs, frame?

Last edited by TCollen; 04-15-21 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-15-21, 09:01 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Just type your question into your address bar and you will get this...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...llectable.html
Old 04-15-21, 09:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Two new Bontrager tires (I asume) for $10 is a good buy.
Old 04-15-21, 10:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Why would giving them away rather than selling them release anyone from liability? Granted, I’m not a lawyer.
Old 04-15-21, 01:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Why would giving them away rather than selling them release anyone from liability? Granted, I’m not a lawyer.
It wouldn't, but it might be legal to give away the bikes versus selling them at a retail shop.

I suspect that the odd shift lever location might be the culprit.
Old 04-15-21, 02:15 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Apparently the frame can snap. If it were mine, after removing parts to sell, I would get this

out of my shed, then throw the pieces into the revycle bin.
Old 04-15-21, 02:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Just type your question into your address bar and you will get this...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...llectable.html
Wow, that thread took me back! Not only do I remember the ads for Matthews, BUT 30 years ago I worked with the son of the owner. That son was, in fact, a fairly serious cyclist. Presumably his bike was better than the ones his Dad was giving away.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-15-21, 02:41 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've heard that rumor before and I'm not sure it's true. There were two electronics stores in the country that gave away essentially all of these bikes and for some reason it was a popular promotion because there were tons of them around for a while.

So it's possible that they didn't meet safety standards, but it's unlikely that that's the reason they were given away rather than sold. More likely it was just some unusual business arrangement between the manufacturer and these two stores. Having seen quite a few of them, they are awful bikes but not orders of magnitude more awful than a low-end Walmart bike. What's funny is why people who've never seen them before seem to think they have a value greater than the cost to dispose of them at the dump.
Old 04-15-21, 05:21 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Okay, so except for the bike's spokes being as brittle as uncooked spaghetti, and the Firenze frames tending to break apart at random, everything seems wonderful.
Old 04-16-21, 07:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
"Firenze" was a low-end bike, often used as a free "give-away" with some unrelated purchase. "Crazy TV Lenny" in Madison WI probably gave away thousands of them with the purchase of a random appliance from his store. There was at last one year where those bikes did not meet the CPSC requirement that the rear brake be able to cause the rear wheel to skid (itself a rather questionable requirement), and TV Lenny had to replace the stock brake pads on his give-away bikes with high-end Mathauser pads to meet the CPSC requirement. I used to walk around UW Madison student housing at end-of-semester with a 10mm wrench looking for Firenze bikes dumped on the curb as trash to salvage the Mathauser pads for my bikes.