Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1989 Centurion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 11:43 AM
arodr42

Bikes: Caad10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989 Centurion

Is this 1989 Centurion Ironman Dave scott Master worth it? for 460$?
The description says "All Shimano 600 tri-color derailleurs/shifters/brakes/headset and many very nice light alloy components. Set up with Super Hard anodized Araya CTL-370 wheels with the original Shimano 600 hubs. Nice lightweight 3 ttt stem. The bike was just professionally overhauled and restored. The bike is tuned, lubed with fresh grease and is 100% ready to ride. Like new Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700c x 25 tires, inner tubes, cables/housings, handlebar tape and Vader racing saddle. The original paint is in beautiful condition aside from a few minor marks and nicks that were carefully touched up. The genuine Tange 1 double butted chromoly lugged steel frame is amazingly lightweight, rigid and is completely free of dents, bends or cracks. Rides, shifts and brakes wonderfully. The bike is superfast and handles like it's on rails! The frame measures 54cm (from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube), 54cm (top tube center to center). The top tube measures 31" from the ground, so it would be suited for anyone 5'4" to 5'9" in height. "
(I dont know much about vintage road bikes so any help would be highly appreciated. I am trying to buy a bike for my father so that he can start riding since he doesn't do any physical activity anymore)
Cheers, Alfredo
Old 09-06-15, 11:45 AM
arodr42

Bikes: Caad10

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_57 (2).jpg (98.4 KB, 78 views)
$_57 (3).jpg (98.3 KB, 56 views)
$_57 (4).jpg (98.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-06-15, 12:59 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Price is high but, it's a valuable bike. Make sure nothing's wrong with it before you shell out that much dough. If it fits & you want it - it's worth it.
Old 09-06-15, 01:09 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
ahhhh. the Chicago carpeted staircase guy. From all reports he does a nice job on the bikes, so it should be ready to roll. I think this bike was the subject of another thread... where someone was considering buying this ironman, OR buying another bike from this seller. (the ironman was not by this seller at that time). It looks like staircase man went and bought the ironman, fixed it up (it needed it) and its now back on CL.

if you don't plan on working on the bike yourself then go for it- its on the high side but its not my money! hah. But i'd be a bit surprise if your dad would be comfortable on an ironman if hes not physically active: its a race bike...and pretty unforgiving.
Old 09-06-15, 01:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The seller, in his craiglist ad, says it's a great deal. It's not. 1989 CENTURION IronMan Dave Scott Master - Shimano 600, 54cm, NICE!

It's an OK deal assuming that the bike fits you given the level of work apparently put into the bike. The seller says it has been "professionally" overhauled and the bike certainly looks clean.

All that said, you can do better price wise for a Japanese chrome moly frame with shimano 600 components.

Yeah the Chicago carpeted seller has been on BF before; probably with this bike.
Old 09-06-15, 01:17 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
while its true you can get cheaper japanese chrome moly framed bikes- Tange 1 is top of the line stuff- comparable with the top efforts from reynolds and columbus at the time. and the ironman is a really well built and balanced bike. they are only relatively cheap because they were so popular and there are so dang many of them. A lot of bikes you are paying not for their quality, but their exclusivity. The ironman is every bit as good a bike- perhaps better than the euro and usa bikes- but since you can pick one up at any major city at pretty much anytime.. prices are reasonable.

all that said.. i also agree that its on the high side. but you are paying for his work.. probably the same or less than you would pay at a shop if you bought it from your average CL seller.

for example, one of my ironman bikes i bought for a steal at $130. But stuck seat post... I spent at least 4 hours dealing with that.. had to destroy the post and used every tool in my shop. + seat post (ok.. Robbietunes gave me one.. but you get the idea), new tape, cables, tires, cleaning supplies, paint touch up, seat, true the wheels, brake pads, grease bearings, new chain, pedals.... the bike cost me $300 after all that and that is not including all my time.. if I charged even minimum wage (12.25 around here) for that id be at $460 no problem.

Last edited by jetboy; 09-06-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 01:38 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
If it fits, worth it. Somebody put a lot of time and effort into keeping that one nice. Here in DC that's a $575 bike.
Old 09-06-15, 01:53 PM
88prelude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks great, and as @jetboy says the mysterious Chicago staircase seller is reported to do very clean restorations. I have no first-hand experience though because his prices plus shipping usually put the bikes right at top dollar or over in my market.

If you look a bit more enough you'll find much better deals if you're willing to do some wrenching. If you you don't want to do any wrenching (seems like it as you're looking for your father) then you have to see what else you could buy in your market and compare prices. I'd highly recommend to see if you're father is into biking before dropping that amount of money though, and perhaps finding something local to test ride for fit before buying.
Old 09-07-15, 03:39 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I'm wondering if your Father will even be comfortable riding a racing style bike with drop bars. If you're just trying to get some excersize then maybe you should look for an easier riding machine. Something with upright handle bars. Like a fitness style or hybrid bike. If your dad really isn't into the triathalon scene - that Ironman might just wind up collecting dust.
Old 09-08-15, 07:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
It's expensive.
The guy does good work, I've seen a few of his bikes in person. The Vader saddle is the only cheap thing he typically uses and it was actually comfortable for the short time I rode a bike of his.

You'd have a tough time reselling it for that listed price, if that matters to you. If you ride it for a couple thousand miles over 2 years and sold it for $325 then you basically spent only $125 for 2 years of a lot of riding. Perhaps that's a good way to look at it.
Old 09-08-15, 07:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Guy needs to change his background.... Overpriced for Chicago. At the same time, you are talking a very nice bike in excellent condition. If it is exactly what you want, why not? If you are open to other brands/models/etc., then keep looking.

"super fast" "handles like it is on rails". Give me a break. Does that nonsense work?
Either it works or people ignore it and still buy his bikes because his inventory certainly turns over and it's consistently nice and well done.
No idea where he gets so many 80s Japanese road bikes.