Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

HELP - Need Recommendations for Kids Bikes

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 06-06-19, 05:16 AM
YippeekiyayMFer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

New to this forum, was pointed here from a friend at work. I'm looking for some recommendations on new bikes for my kids. We were recently in a Dicks Sporting Goods and my oldest two daughters (ages 6 and 5) fell in love with these kids 20" Nishiki mountain bikes...Pueblo I believe was the model name. They are relatively inexpensive and look very stylish (pink and purple!) but neither of my daughters has learned how to ride a bike without training wheels. They are both tall for their age and among their classmates at school and are getting too big for their little 16" bikes we got from Target. But I dont know if that type of bike is right for them at this stage.

I guess my question is, firstly, is a 20" mountain bike the wrong thing for their age/size bracket?

Second, if I'm not barking up the wrong tree, can I put training wheels on these new bikes until they learn to ride without them? Or is that not possible with that type of bike?

Third, any recommendations on specific bikes, sizes, training-wheel advice, etc is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 06-06-19, 01:41 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Do they fit on the bike? Can they easily put their feet on the ground when sitting on the season? (That's a BAD way to test size for an adult bike. It's important with a kid who's still learning how to balance)
Old 06-06-19, 02:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
... & so it begins ... heart warming ...

fwiw: I think I started my kids with smaller bikes & wound up getting progressively larger sizes every year or so, always buying used off craigslist (w/ 1 exception). if you keep buying them a new bike every time they need a different size, you're gonna be spending more than you need to. lots of other ppl w kids & bikes. check craigslist
Old 06-07-19, 07:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
A big factor is the weight of your children compared to the weight of the bike. Amazon lists the weight of the 20" kids version as 29 pounds. How does that compare to the weight of your kids? I've seen the result of a parent giving an 80 pound kid a 40 pound Walmart bike with all of the useless bells and whistles that make the bike much heavier. I see the Pueblo has front suspension. Cheap front suspension is a selling point rather than a useful component. It would be lighter and better with a rigid front fork.
Old 06-17-19, 11:40 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Before you buy them new bikes, take the pedals off their current bikes and let them learn to balance on the bike by scooting around with their feet (like those tiny little bikes with no pedals for small children). Training wheels are a terrible way to learn how to ride because all the balancing part never gets learned and it takes hours of you running alongside the bike holding the seat.
My 2 cents coming from someone that has taught five kids to ride a bike.
Old 12-02-19, 11:07 PM
rdrsonthstrm

Bikes: Argon18 Nitrogen

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a bike for a kid is so boring and hard. There are a lot of bicycles available for the kids. Some of the bikes are good. you need carefully searching for them. Better to depend on online bicycle review sites to get a perfect kid's bike.

I recommend RoyalBaby BMX Freestyle bike for the kid.
Old 04-19-20, 04:48 PM
captain belly

Bikes: 1994 Giant Iguana and 2020 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
Bought our boys cheap bikes from Walmart. (No gears / shifters). The bikes outlasted their size. I stepped it up to 24” when they were in junior high. Walmart or Dick’s sporting goods. I’d do it all over again. Once they quit growing, I dropped some money on really nice bikes that would last them through college and beyond. Trek Marlin 6 when they each turned 16.

Last edited by captain belly; 04-19-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 06:20 AM
Runngun

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matimeo
Before you buy them new bikes, take the pedals off their current bikes and let them learn to balance on the bike by scooting around with their feet (like those tiny little bikes with no pedals for small children). Training wheels are a terrible way to learn how to ride because all the balancing part never gets learned and it takes hours of you running alongside the bike holding the seat.
My 2 cents coming from someone that has taught five kids to ride a bike.
This is what I did too when my granddaughter outgrew her small size balance bike. I bought her a Guardian in her size and left the pedals off. No coaster brakes (freewheel hub) and an effective handbrake system that the applies rear then front from one lever. She “balanced biked” with it for maybe 3 months before the pedals went on to stay. The other thing about balance biking is she immediately puts her feet down if something goes sideways so she seldom wrecks.
Old 06-03-20, 09:15 AM
A1A Rider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone 3.1, Giant TRC C3, Trek STP 200, Trek STP 300

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We bought Woom 3 16" bikes for our twin 5 year old grand daughters for Christmas. They are freehub, hand brake models and are 12 pound bikes. They started without pedals and used them as balance bikes for about 4 weeks. They put the pedals on and have been riding up to 4 to 5 miles per outing for the last 4 months. My only complaint is they are geared for ease of start and pedaling, which means they are spinning out on the down hill slope.

While these bikes are pretty expensive they are great bikes with an active after market. They re-sell very quickly at about 80% of purchase price. Woom will also buy the bike back from the original owner at about 60% of purchase price, but you have to pay a fee to opt in to the program. All in, ownership after sale of bike to upsize, is comparable to less expensive, heavier bikes, albeit with a higher initial investment.
Old 10-13-20, 10:20 AM
Axel93

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our kids are fairly young, so we tend to get them "new" bikes every year since they are growing so much. When kids are young, go for fit but inexpensive. As they get more into it, spend a little more to extend the life of the bike for them.
Old 12-14-20, 11:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
A big factor is the weight of your children compared to the weight of the bike. Amazon lists the weight of the 20" kids version as 29 pounds. How does that compare to the weight of your kids? I've seen the result of a parent giving an 80 pound kid a 40 pound Walmart bike with all of the useless bells and whistles that make the bike much heavier. I see the Pueblo has front suspension. Cheap front suspension is a selling point rather than a useful component. It would be lighter and better with a rigid front fork.

^This.
I have a big box bike with selling point fork. Took the springs out. Drilled holes in the outer stanchions and plug welded the stanchions together.

Those forks are the worst of both worlds because the geometry will be messed up if you try to use a normal fork. All those forks do is add weight and complexity.