Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clyde Seatpost woes, sliding down...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde Seatpost woes, sliding down...

Old 01-26-21, 07:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Does the seat tube have bosses for a bottle cage? I can't tell from the pictures. If so, get a bolt for the top bottle boss that is long enough that it extends into the seat tube far enough to act as a stop for the seatpost. Get a seatpost that is long enough to make contact with the bolt when it is installed. Between that and the seatpost clamp, the post will no longer slide. If there are no bottle cage bosses on the seat tube, find a local framebulder/repair shop to install one somewhere on the seat tube for this purpose.
Old 03-26-21, 05:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Someone pointed me to your thread, I have a 2019 Jamis Renegade Escapade and first had the seat post slipping, then had the carbon seat post go kerplooey - see my post here.

I'm a 225 lb Clydesdale, but all my miles on that bike have been lightly loaded road touring or rail trail/tow path riding - very little gravel, no single track. I love that bike but not that seat post - I much prefer the alloy one the bike shop put in temporarily until Jamis sends a replacement carbon one. When the carbon one slipped, I didn't notice at first and the lower position caused my chubby things to rub the annoying square edged seat clamp on that carbon post, wearing holes in my best cycling shorts!
Old 03-26-21, 06:28 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I would use a metal seat post. Then put another clamp around the seat post, just above the existing one. If it still slips, you could have 2, 3 or 4 clamps one on top of the other.
Old 03-29-21, 12:07 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Someone pointed me to your thread, I have a 2019 Jamis Renegade Escapade and first had the seat post slipping, then had the carbon seat post go kerplooey - see my post here.

I'm a 225 lb Clydesdale, but all my miles on that bike have been lightly loaded road touring or rail trail/tow path riding - very little gravel, no single track. I love that bike but not that seat post - I much prefer the alloy one the bike shop put in temporarily until Jamis sends a replacement carbon one. When the carbon one slipped, I didn't notice at first and the lower position caused my chubby things to rub the annoying square edged seat clamp on that carbon post, wearing holes in my best cycling shorts!
Glad you didn't get hurt. Hope you find a satisfactory answer to your seatpost issues.
Old 03-29-21, 07:15 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I also had the trouble of a sliding seat post. My solution was to switch from a bolt down clamp to a quick release one. For some reason that worked out much better for me.
Old 04-02-21, 07:09 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I also had the trouble of a sliding seat post. My solution was to switch from a bolt down clamp to a quick release one. For some reason that worked out much better for me.
I just ordered one, thanks for the idea.

I also put a new bolt in my Salsa collar on my Fargo. The internal hex head was starting to round from over-tourqing it. I’m going to get a stronger bolt (non stainless steel) for my Salsa Fargo clamp from the hardware store. I might even find an external hex head which will make for better torque ability using a crescent wrench.

appropriate GIF I found

Old 05-03-21, 07:22 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Update:

I added a hose clamp above the seat post clamp. I still need to (over) tighten for the system to work, but it has been working. My Whiskey post is getting a little bit chewed up and will need to eventually be replaced with a metal one.

im concluding the Jamis integrated seat post clamp is just an inferior design for us Clydesdales. Define weak point on an otherwise great bike. I’ll be sharing this post with Jamis.

I also had some post sliding on my Salsa Fargo. But the quick adjustment lever clamp solved that. Note it’s also an aluminum seat post.
Old 05-03-21, 09:16 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Even though not elegant, the hose clamp should do the trick.