Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need help on how I can make this drivetrain acceptable

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 03:40 PM
Yibbage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brief story- I was walking my dog and ran across a “mountain bike” a neighbor had out for bulk trash pick up. Being in pandemic times and itching for a project I decide to take the bike home. Turns out, unfortunately, that Dynacraft is the maker of the frame (Walmart bike). The frame seems to be sturdy and decent quality (guessing this), the rest not so much. So I decide to build me a cool mountain bike with it by upgrading/changing components. I have never done this before but I’m a sharp guy so what’s the big deal?

So I decide that I don’t want the stock 3x6 18-speed setup but one of those cool looking 1x11 configurations I’ve been seeing and reading about (obviously not enough reading on my part).
I bought a drivetrain set that includes:
-SunRace 11 speed cassette 11-50T
-Box Two 11speed derailleur x-wide cage
-Box Two 11 speed twin shifter
-Box Two 11 speed chain
-the crank cog bought separate has 35 teeth

So I fiddled with the derailleur adjustments and hop on for a test ride. I knew to expect some chain grinding due to the width of the cassette being driven by one crank cog. I also heard from a bike shop guy recently, as I was finishing this build, that the 1x11 setup was not really intended for a 26” bike. The chain stay is too short. Yep, it’s a 26” bike.
So when attempting to be in one of the first four gears the chain immediately derails. Mid range gears are fine. And cannot get to that highest 50T gear (will try to further adjust the derailleur). What I now have is a six speed bike that is really slow.
I have questions. Can this even be made to work correctly? A longer crank axle? Some kind of chain that has more flex? So I’m a guy that didn’t research the mechanics involved in making this change but I’m kinda enjoying the learning aspect of getting in there and doing it.
Any suggestions will be very helpful. I’m hoping to not replace too much of what I’ve added if at all possible. (I posted a pic of the bike in the Gallery yesterday but wasn’t able to add it to this post due to being new to the site).

Last edited by Yibbage; 12-09-20 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 03:56 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
pic assist.

Old 12-09-20, 04:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The chain will become more flexible as it breaks in, but it still might not work due to the short chainstays. Is the chain too short for the big cogs?

A smaller cassette (11-42) might work.
Old 12-09-20, 05:13 PM
Yibbage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
The chain will become more flexible as it breaks in, but it still might not work due to the short chainstays. Is the chain too short for the big cogs?

A smaller cassette (11-42) might work.
Great tip about checking the chain length. I’ll check it out. I imagine that is only going to be a factor on the large 50t cog not lower ones. And true, the chain would not be broken in at this point. Thanks
Old 12-09-20, 11:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Box has good instructions how to set up their RD and size the chain. If you follow them it should work. In high gear with the suspension topped out it should have just a little tension and set the indexing, in low gear you adjust clearance from the cassette to the jockey with the b-screw. If you choose to size the chain in the big bottom gear like old style, you also need to have the suspension compressed.

The front ring is a question mark. 35 is an oddball. Narrow wide rings have even number of teeth. If it’s a single speed ring it needs to be for 3/32 chain. If I t’s part of a double or triple you need to get rid of it, they are made for shifting and chains don’t stay on without a derailleur or chain guide

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-09-20 at 11:22 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-10-20, 07:35 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Wow! Just wow
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-10-20, 08:06 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Box has good instructions how to set up their RD and size the chain. If you follow them it should work. In high gear with the suspension topped out it should have just a little tension and set the indexing, in low gear you adjust clearance from the cassette to the jockey with the b-screw. If you choose to size the chain in the big bottom gear like old style, you also need to have the suspension compressed.

The front ring is a question mark. 35 is an oddball. Narrow wide rings have even number of teeth. If it’s a single speed ring it needs to be for 3/32 chain. If I t’s part of a double or triple you need to get rid of it, they are made for shifting and chains don’t stay on without a derailleur or chain guide
I am asking this because I don't know, but why would the suspension movement matter on this bike? it looks like the crank is on rear suspension triangle so wouldn't it stay the same during movement?

One thing I do know the OP can probably ditch that bash guard its not gonna do much.
Old 12-10-20, 09:30 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
I am asking this because I don't know, but why would the suspension movement matter on this bike? it looks like the crank is on rear suspension triangle so wouldn't it stay the same during movement?

One thing I do know the OP can probably ditch that bash guard its not gonna do much.
You are right, I did not look at the frame too closely.

Another thing to consider is the chain line. If that crankset is from a single speed as appears, it may have a chain line further inboard than ideal for the cassette. Can be solved with a bottom bracket spindle the correct length.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-10-20, 05:28 PM
Yibbage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are right, I did not look at the frame too closely.

Another thing to consider is the chain line. If that crankset is from a single speed as appears, it may have a chain line further inboard than ideal for the cassette. Can be solved with a bottom bracket spindle the correct length.
Thanks for those insights. They give me a direction to investigate.
Old 12-14-20, 02:00 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Wow! Just wow
No kidding!!! $350 worth of parts slapped on a $50 Walmart bike.

Likes For prj71:
Old 12-15-20, 12:53 PM
Tracks_Of_Death

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easily my favorite build i have seen lately. I wish you luck. I plan on getting the same drivetrain for my 26er.