Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

my modified FSIR spin 5.0

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

my modified FSIR spin 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 04:11 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tuleggi
thanks! I was thinking about it, but are they practical as the previous ones? when I look to the design compared to the original they do not seems as easy to operate (including the fact that the bottom one has a stopper, don't you miss it?)
...yes, they are more fiddly to adjust but i did it once and never had to do it again. I dont miss the stopper it folds in both directions. The one thing to concern about that i see is the stock cable routing with V-brakes, that i changed on my Spin2, my Spin5 has discs.
Likes For splithub:
Old 04-14-21, 04:22 AM
tuleggi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by splithub
...yes, they are more fiddly to adjust but i did it once and never had to do it again. I dont miss the stopper it folds in both directions. The one thing to concern about that i see is the stock cable routing with V-brakes, that i changed on my Spin2, my Spin5 has discs.
thanks for the adjustment I was thinking also when you open and close them regularly, isn't difficult with such a short lever?

Concerning the brakes of your spin2 what you changed? I have new cables coming in, but I certainly can't fit brake disk as the frame do not allow for them.
Old 04-14-21, 04:45 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Clamp force seems sufficient to me.
​​​I changed the cable routing to allow longer brake arms to accomodate thicker tires. Space is tight on the Spin2. Spin5 seems fine as i see on yours. Side effect is that it can fold now both directions, but there is no benefit of it other than choosing if you want to have the handlebar stem outside or the drivetrain.

..before i forget, did you come across the flaws of that bike, they were discussed here partly already. The frame halves tend to rotate harder slowly until you cannot separate them without danger for damage, and the bottom bracket height is beyond acceptable, in my case 31cm with 1.75 tires. Tried different things to fix

Last edited by splithub; 04-14-21 at 05:02 AM.
Likes For splithub:
Old 04-14-21, 05:01 AM
tuleggi

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
thanks clear, I already have long arms which accommodate perfectly big tires and the fender. I see you are using from the picture above the litepro, which would not work for me because of the fender width
Old 04-14-21, 10:51 AM
tuleggi

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by splithub
..before i forget, did you come across the flaws of that bike, they were discussed here partly already. The frame halves tend to rotate harder slowly until you cannot separate them without danger for damage, and the bottom bracket height is beyond acceptable, in my case 31cm with 1.75 tires. Tried different things to fix
Never had any issues (until now), there is a screw in the bottom, if it is to hard to rotate you unscrew and vice-versa, 1 second.
The bottom bracket height I will check how much is mine, but riding it I don't think I see big difference with another bike. What is the issue you have identified with the height? and which fixes? thanks :-)

PS: measured and same height for me as well

Last edited by tuleggi; 04-15-21 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 11:43 AM
tuleggi

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
It is time for a new update :-)

Few changes made and always for the better:

- changed the bottom bracket and crackset with a second hand Campagnolo Super Record. Actually the previous one from litepro was lighter but the power transfer was not good. It was also making noises, no matter how much I would turn the bolts etc. Now with the Campagnolo super record another world
- changed the saddle with a Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem; a little lighter but especially much much more comfortable. No more pain on my back! highly recommended.
- changed the stem with a curved one, with the height fit for me (lost the adjustments possibilities although), lighter and I also think at the end aesthetically nicer
- changed the chainring with a Miche Supertype 51t. So I have lowered of one tooth (before it was 52t) which is better for the hills
- changed brake and shifter cables with some Litepro Pro
- few gold-look bolts in aluminum 7075, like the one for the brake-pads, nicer and lighter
- I have tried to change the clamps as suggested above, I did not like them, I prefer the originals, much more functional. Although I have replaced the clamp handle with the gold one of the new clamp :-)

All in all, I have been able to save some grams and the final build is now only 8.3kg!

Last edited by tuleggi; 07-03-21 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For tuleggi:
Old 07-03-21, 06:23 PM
mrsus018

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow nice job, that a sweet ride. upgrade never stop does it
Likes For mrsus018:
Old 07-04-21, 04:09 AM
tuleggi

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsus018
wow nice job, that a sweet ride. upgrade never stop does it
Thanks! yes, a hobby which is almost an addition, a nice one although :-) now the issue being that there are not so many upgrade possibilities, eheh!!
Old 07-06-22, 07:35 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Where are they available in Belgium (and Europe, generally speaking)?

I'm curious about how that part will hold after years of use:
Mine is four years old and the folding pivot is still good and strong. Zero problems.

User's tip: lubricate the pivot with WD-40 like spray with a thin straw introduced through the bottle cage bolts on the main tube.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 07-09-22 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon: