Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disks not ready

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disks not ready

Old 02-08-21, 10:38 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Disks not ready

Says Chris Froome. Who am I to argue with Chris Froome.
"I don't think the technology is quite where it needs to be' says four-time Tour de France winner"
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chri...n-disc-brakes/
Likes For popeye:
Old 02-08-21, 10:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Chris Froome is a professional. I am not. Our limits and requirements are different. I am not advocating for disc or rim. I have both. It's not a big deal for me as a recreational rider.
Old 02-08-21, 10:47 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I'd love to hear his thoughts on running shoes too.

Old 02-08-21, 10:50 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Chris Froome is a professional. I am not. Our limits and requirements are different. I am not advocating for disc or rim. I have both. It's not a big deal for me as a recreational rider.
Exactly. I will never be in the TdF. My bike, and the gear on it, is not what is holding me back.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 02-08-21, 10:50 AM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I'd love to hear his thoughts on running shoes too.
Took me a minute but...LOL!

David
Old 02-08-21, 10:55 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I guess if I was riding where I needed to be on the brakes constantly for 5-10 minutes at a time and having the rotors warp, I wouldn't be happy with them either. On the other hand, what happens to carbon rims if you're riding rim brakes for 5-10 minutes? I guess if you're a pro, you can replace them as often as necessary so it doesn't matter.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-08-21, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I guess if I was riding where I needed to be on the brakes constantly for 5-10 minutes at a time and having the rotors warp, I wouldn't be happy with them either. On the other hand, what happens to carbon rims if you're riding rim brakes for 5-10 minutes? I guess if you're a pro, you can replace them as often as necessary so it doesn't matter.
Yeah, this just boils down to him *****ing about a minor and temporary annoyance - rotors kissing the pads when they're hot. They're not robbing meaningful energy and they usually cool pretty quickly.
Old 02-08-21, 11:33 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
@popey makes a good point. Take it out of context - ever been in a race car? For anything but racing (on THAT track in THOSE conditions)... they really suck. Do I want race-driven and funded R&D on my bikes (and cars and running shoes) *$#& yeah I do. But that doesn't mean every bit of tech is ready for my needs - cost vs performance, etc.

Full disclosure... I have a few bikes with rim brakes and a couple with disc. I like the disc brakes a lot. They really are just better - for me... on my routes in my conditions ;-)
Old 02-08-21, 11:51 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Dragging the binders is not proper form for disk or rim brakes.
Likes For popeye:
Old 02-08-21, 11:54 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
It's been pointed out elsewhere that ISN is sponsored by SwissStop, whose disc rotors and pads are apparently much more prone to overheating and warping than those offered by the big 3 manufacturers.
Likes For surak:
Old 02-08-21, 11:59 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Before COVID, I rode with several pros and ex-pros. They were all riding rim brakes. But, they also told stories like "I toasted a set of (carbon) wheels coming down such-and-such pass last week. Second set this year."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-08-21, 01:37 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Before COVID, I rode with several pros and ex-pros. They were all riding rim brakes. But, they also told stories like "I toasted a set of (carbon) wheels coming down such-and-such pass last week. Second set this year."
I think for dry braking, the hierarchy is quite clear. Alloy rim brakes are at the top, then disc brakes, then carbon clinchers at the bottom.

I would go as far as to say that carbon clinchers are the main reason why disc brakes are so popular now.
Old 02-08-21, 01:58 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by smashndash
I think for dry braking, the hierarchy is quite clear. Alloy rim brakes are at the top, then disc brakes, then carbon clinchers at the bottom.
Other people will arrange that list differently. It depends on how each person prioritizes cost, performance, convenience, and the type of riding they do.

I would go as far as to say that carbon clinchers are the main reason why disc brakes are so popular now.
Maybe not the main reason, but certainly a major contributor.
Old 02-08-21, 02:09 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

Err swap your top two on your list there. Hydraulic disc brakes are so much better at stopping than rim brakes, even in dry weather. I've got a set of the cheapest road discs (SRAM Apex) and some of the best rim brakes (Dura Ace) and its not even a comparison, the discs stop dramatically better. But you're probably right about the carbon clinchers, it does seem preferable to put heat from braking into the disc instead the rim when the rim could potentially soften from heat and allow the tire to blow off.

With that said, I tend to agree with Mr Froome. I can see where if you're riding and travelling a lot, its probably easy to ding a rotor and have to put up with a persistent *shing*shing*shing* sound. If I had to deal with that 30 hours a week I'd probably hate disc brakes too.
Old 02-08-21, 02:17 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I think what makes this more interesting than normal is the fact that he is a professional who is being paid to ride disc brakes, and yet he's still being vocal about it.

That's a bit of a rarity.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-08-21, 03:13 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I think what makes this more interesting than normal is the fact that he is a professional who is being paid to ride disc brakes, and yet he's still being vocal about it.

Well, he's paid to ride for a team, and Factor sponsors that team. Factor happens to put disc brakes on his bike. He's not getting paid specifically to use disc brakes, same as he's not getting paid specifically to use CX-Ray spokes.
Old 02-08-21, 03:39 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Maybe they need to take a cue from their two-wheeled racing big brothers and throw a little duct on the front brake for cooling.

...oh wait, that'd probably cost 1.5w, and the unbearable horror of that proposition
Old 02-08-21, 03:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Chris Froome bores me. His racing style is boring and his opinions I could care less about. I am sure as person he is just fine but marginal gains make me yawn. Disc brakes are just fine and if you are having issues you are probably doing something wrong. He has mechanics so he should be having issues unless using crap equipment but why would he do that. I haven't used SwissStop rotors but their pads are excellent so I doubt it would be that but maybe that is the problem or he has a really flexy frame that is causing issues which seems suspect. If his issue is over heating a larger rotor would help or learning how to brake better.

Ehhh...he might just want to start another debate on disc vs rim brakes because he was stalking the forum and realized we hadn't had one in while
Old 02-08-21, 05:00 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Well, he's paid to ride for a team, and Factor sponsors that team. Factor happens to put disc brakes on his bike. He's not getting paid specifically to use disc brakes, same as he's not getting paid specifically to use CX-Ray spokes.

???

He's complaining about the team's equipment. Openly. That's not a common thing.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-08-21, 05:02 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Chris Froome bores me. His racing style is boring and his opinions I could care less about.
You must not watch much pro racing.

He's done some very exciting things in races; surprise attacks on downhills, rolling breaks with Sagan, running up a mountain. Way more exciting than most everyone else.
Old 02-08-21, 08:10 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, this just boils down to him *****ing about a minor and temporary annoyance - rotors kissing the pads when they're hot. They're not robbing meaningful energy and they usually cool pretty quickly.
Who descends by dragging their brakes for 5-10 minutes?Certainly not anyone hoping to win a race.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-08-21, 08:20 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I can see where if you're riding and travelling a lot, its probably easy to ding a rotor and have to put up with a persistent *shing*shing*shing* sound. If I had to deal with that 30 hours a week I'd probably hate disc brakes too.
Froome needs to buy one of these, or he could use a crescent wrench.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-08-21, 09:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
You must not watch much pro racing.

He's done some very exciting things in races; surprise attacks on downhills, rolling breaks with Sagan, running up a mountain. Way more exciting than most everyone else.
Admittedly I should watch a bit more. But I am still never that excited by him.
Old 02-08-21, 11:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8188 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts

They sponsor the team to sell bikes. If one of their sponsored riders isn't happy with something on the bike, he shouldn't go public with it.

One of the early freeriders couldn't get much help from sponsors because he kept breaking frames. He was doing stuff nobody else was but still.

I know a guy who raced drag cars and paid his own way for everything. He was pretty good and got a ride in a car with full sponsorship, just show up and drive.
One day he mouthed off about the team owner's son to the paper, National Dragster. No more free ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-09-21, 12:19 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Who descends by dragging their brakes for 5-10 minutes?Certainly not anyone hoping to win a race.
He did not say that he had to drag the brakes for 5 to 10 minutes. He raised an issue when "on a descent for long enough – five, ten minutes, with constant braking."

Chris Froome says he's 'not 100 per cent sold on disc brakes' as he reviews his new bike - Cycling Weekly

I understand that to mean a descent with "constant breaking" over a 5 to 10 minute period.

With rim brakes one quick look plus one squeeze of the brake lever confirm I am good to go. I can do both as I am lifting my bike off the wall onto the ground. I don't have a bike with disc brakes but I don't think it is quite that easy to verify their condition. That said, by the time the brake tracks on my wheels are worn out, lightweight alloy wheels for rim brakes may no longer still be offered, so I will have to switch to disc brakes then.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.