Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

USPS woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 07:53 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
USPS woes

I have gotten to the point that I am quite leery of ordering anything that has to be shipped via USPS. In the past 3 months, I have 3 items lost, one never found and two pending. Also, numerous items that have taken weeks or months to arrive. I am presently awaiting a partial 6600 groupset that was scheduled for delivery a couple of weeks ago. Tracking shows the package arriving in Newcastle DE on 1/31/21 at 12:07am, and that it has not moved since. I submitted a search form with USPS and contacted the southern Delaware distribution center to try to locate the package, but have not heard back from them in a week. I had been looking for 6600 components for a while, found what I wanted in very good shape and at a good price, and now cannot locate them.

I also have an article of clothing that, according to tracking, has been sitting in Greensboro, NC since the morning of Feb. 8th. It was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. Not a big deal if that is lost. I will just request a refund.
Back in December, I ordered a Shimano compatible free hub for Campy Zonda's, it never arrived and CRC in England declared the item lost and issued me a refund. The tracking on that was good until it reached USPS and then it disappeared.

The tracking for USPS seems to be very sporadic in being helpful finding packages. In general, trying to get help from the USPS is an exercise in frustration.
Old 02-13-21, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I haven’t got normal mail in 3-4 days. Something I ordered from Amazon that was delivered by the USPS, however, arrived as scheduled.
Old 02-13-21, 08:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a home based business where I restore car parts. I've shipped over 6000 items in the past 20 years so that actually 12,000 items received and shipped back... with only one stolen. I ship all over the USA and international including all of Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Australia. The one stolen item was delivered and stolen off the stoop of the the house and verified by security camera. I'm still shipping 3-4 a week so that's actually 6-8.

A few times there were rather long delays where USPS Priority has taken over a week and a few times international were over a month late... usually due to customs paperwork.

USPS offers a great service and is much more economical than UPS. But if you're concerned then use UPS since they have better tracking.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-13-21, 08:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I've never had any problems with USPS until recently...But I (and a couple family members) have had some pretty astounding delays in the last couple months.

Anyone who's followed the USPS' woes understands that they stem from maliciously poor leadership; unfortunately, the current Postmaster General can't be unilaterally removed by the President. Until the situation is sorted out, I am shipping via UPS and FedEx.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-21, 08:46 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
There's a long USPS thread currently running on the major bass guitar and upright bass website. The OP in that thread complained about problems with a USPS delivery and implored everyone to boycott the USPS. Several hundred posts later, it's clear that the majority of people posting have had much better luck with USPS than with UPS or FedEx.

Several people in that thread also pointed out that, in addition to the COVID-related problems affecting all shipping companies, the current U.S. Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy, who got the job because he was a Republican fundraiser, has instituted a number of changes seemingly designed to cripple the USPS. Under the circumstances, it's amazing that so many people reported having less trouble with USPS than with the privately owned competitors.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-13-21 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-13-21, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
A friend of mine got a Christmas card earlier this week. It was mailed in early December.
Old 02-13-21, 08:56 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I ordered some refurbished bike parts through ebay and the seller used USPS. This was before Christmas and what should have taken less than a week took several weeks. Fortunately I was not in a rush to get the parts. US Postmaster DeJoy was installed as Postmaster General with a mission to destroy the USPS and he is doing a great job of it.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 02-13-21, 09:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Yep. DeJoy.
But it's also a handful of other well known causes. Not the least of which is intentional defunding of our institutions to carve out market space for for-profit companies.

The USPS has almost zero control of it's future, it's rates, or it's business. It suffers at the whims of congress.

The anti-tax people don't want functioning institutions or love America enough to put their money where their mouths are. It's a shame really.

I waited nearly 2 weeks for a power meter from the East coast. DHL from Germany (on another continent!) took a few days for some Rohloff parts.

The decline is everywhere. Our institutions have been being defunded for the better part of 4 decades.

Last edited by base2; 02-13-21 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-13-21, 10:59 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have absolutely had these issues lately. USPS tracking is totally broken: stuff shows up days later than expected or days earlier. I've had five different hings in the last six months just not show up at all. It's particularly bad if you're getting stuff for overseas. Anything being sent from Europe via DHL is totally unpredictable. Stuff from Asia is even worse.

I've never seen anything like this before.

Some of that might not be USPS's fault, apparently there's a huge container ship backup at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ne...ip-traffic-jam
Old 02-13-21, 11:31 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Under DeJoy's "leadership" on time delivery performance by the USPS has crashed. It's not your imagination.
Likes For guachi:
Old 02-13-21, 11:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Okay, not sure why this is in General Cycling and it's all political anyway, so belongs in P&R. Don't need to deal with people reporting it. Closing