Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just another "Bike buying advice needed" topic, with a twist (I hope)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 02:25 PM
messmedia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello people!
This is my first post at BikeForums.
I hope the topic, which, I'm sure (and have seen), have been talked about too many times here, will find someone willing to share some of his/her spare time with me and try to answer from his/her own experience.

I am 44 years old designer, who decided to go into the whole "ditch my car for a bike" adventure. ...well, the car will still be here, but hopefully rarely used .

Anyway, last time I rode a bike, I think my moustaches didn't grow yet, so, I guess, can't be more of a beginner than this. But I can still hold a balance on a bike ( ), and I did ride a BMX, back in the day (with some tricks 'n' all) ...

So, I need a bike which I'll ride to, and through the city every day (5-10km distance from home), and back. It should be able to fit some cargo (<10kg).
I live on a small hill, so, it should be able to make my life a little easier when riding uphill (so, I guess speed changer is a must?)
Also, all roads in my place have a really large number of bumps (put there to slow down car riders)...

On weekends, I plan to go on trips around the place I live in. It would be 20-40km both ways (10-20km one way). In that case, I would need some way to carry necessities (as an amateur photographer, my back would be occupied with photo-equipment).
Or, maybe there is some solution for both (my photo equipment/backpack, and bag with necessities (some food, drinks, change of clothes) - on a bike?)
... Some of the roads I plan to go on, are "offroads", but not too rough (uneven, though)

My height is 178cm (5'10"), leg is 78cm (~31"), if needed. I did find on the net some advice about bike size, but it varied between websites. So, the most common was size 19... Does that make any sense?

If anyone finds some time to answer, I kinda am in the dark right now, with the bike type (MTB or hybrid or ...), size, but also, possibilities for modifications on a bike.
If an MTB can be fitted with something for carrying some bags, and some protection on tires and chain, maybe that is an answer? Or that is not really a good idea?
Please, Help!

Now the twist (and maybe the final nail on my dream of activating myself through bike-riding): I am very overweighted (130kg) .
I am not sure does it matter when it comes to bike type choice, but the local bike seller seems to think so (he managed to make me NOT buy a hybrid model I was set to and ignited these doubts and a need to check everything).

I did not mention that I need advice about the brand, simply because I live in a very small country, so it's not like I have too much choice when it comes to brands. However, it would be nice to know what's good, and what's not. And maybe I would be lucky enough?

Since I am at the beginning of bike riding and live in a "third world" country, some restrains on potential pricing would be welcome Here, bike prices go between 160€ and 1100€...

All in all, this would be it, "just another post ...", if this can be called a post (instead of a NOVEL)
- Sorry for prolonging it, I was thinking some precise input would make your advising a little easier...
Thanx, in advance!
Old 03-06-21, 08:37 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
What country are you in? Are you thinking of having a bike shipped to you, or going and getting it in your nation?

Bad news is that there are bike shortages this year still due to you-know-what, and so things are often overpriced. Good news is that even for a heavy rider, sometimes basic is better.
Old 03-06-21, 09:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Any used steel touring bike will work for you. A touring bike will have a robust frame and wheelset that can handle your weight, rough roads/paths, lower gearing for added weight and hills, and racks to attach panniers to hold your gear.
Old 03-07-21, 04:34 AM
messmedia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Charliekeet - The country is Montenegro (right across the sea from Italy ). We have 600.000 citizens in total, so, no big businesses here (except in Hotelier business - we are a pretty good touristic destination, or was, before COVID)
There is one brand from a neighboring country, called Capriolo. Prices are small, to the point of my lack of trust
This one was my option - but the seller said it is OK for 120-130kg rider, so I got worried - being on the upper limit.
I can't post links (yet), so here are the specs:
Capriolo Sunrise Man
Frame: Hiten steel frame
Vila: Rigid steel fork
Šoljica vile: Fp-h515, 8 pcs
Uložci srednjeg pogona: Thun, 122.5 mm
Srednji pogon: Tcrf2b-cfpf, 48/38/28tx170mm, steel
Prednji menjač: Shimano fd-tz510
Zadnji menjač: Shimano rd-tz500
Ručica menjača: Sram shift lever, mrx shifter
Brzina: 18
Lanac: Kmc z-33, 6 speed
Kočnica: Logan alloy v-brake
Glave: Steel kt-122f, steel kt-122r
Obruči: Krypton x, 28x1.5 36h, alloy dw
Dimenzije točka: 28"
Pneumatici: Mitas hook v69 (37-622)
Sedlo: Selle royal 6421h
Pedale: Fp-833, pp body
Materijal rama: Čelik
PRICE: 200€

I did some survey, few CUBE bikes are on lager, but, over my financial limit...
I Also got my eye on this CROSS AREAL model, which is on upper limit of my price range:
FRAME: Aluminium double butted
Viljuška: Suntour SF14-M3010-P-700C *

Glave: Chin Haur CH-919MBW *semi
Prednji zupčanik: Shimano AFCTY301E888CL 3*48T 175 mm W/ CG
Štitnik lanca: Axa trekking lite line 48T * crno
Uložak srednje glave:GVP BC73C * 122,5
Pedale: VP-872N
Lanac: KMS Z51
Zadnji mjenjač: Shimano ARDTX800SGSL
Prednji mjenjač: Shimano AFDTY510TSM3
Ručice mjenjača: Shimano ASTEF5102LSBL + ASTEF5102RV7AL
Zupčanici: Shimano ACSHG2007232BROJ 21 brzina
Felge: X-ALT X2 dupli zid
Glava prednjeg točka: Shimano ADHC30003NNAL 36H * crna
Glava zadnjeg točka: KT AY1R 36H * crne žbice spokes 36/14G
Gume: Schwalbe Road Cruiser 42-622 * GR/RT * BRW/RT
Volan: HL NR-16 W: 590 MM * crni
Lula volana : Promax MQ-527 EXT: 105 MM * crni
Ručke Herrmans Airo DD26B/B - 120/120 * BLK/GR * ergo braon
Sjedište: Selle Royal Rio SR-8020HRT/DRT
Cijev sjedišta: SP-C207 27,2x300 * crna
Prednja kočnica: Promax TX123D * crna
Zadnja kočnica: Promax TX123D * crna
Ručice kočnica: Shimano ASTEF5102LSBL + ASTEF5102RV7AL
Blatobrani: SKS PET 700C-A46 * ZETA 2 * SPOILER * REFL * BLK MATT
Nosači: Stangshan HLYJ-F4 * crna lampa
Prednje svijetlo: : AXA ECOLINE 3W *
Zadnje svijetlo: : AXA BLUELINE STEADY 50 *
PRICE: 399€

(I hoped for 350-400 WITH additional stuff - helmet, tools, bottle, bags )

These marks on specs don't mean ANYTHING to me (YET) - so I hoped that some of you might have some idea about it ...

So, at the moment I am between these two, I couldn't find anything in the middle (price-wise, which is my sweet spot).
What would you buy, if you have 400 euros exactly? (if you consider the average salary here is 350-400€ - so, the price of this Cross model )

THANK YOU for your answer...

CAT7RDR - So, I guess the local seller was trying to sell something unsellable to me, since my weight will only make riding a little harder, and it will NOT break my bike - He opted for some 29" Oxygen model, MTB, And I wasn't sure is it best option for me, since offroad rides would be very rare for me! (I also don't think I would survive much of off-road, at the beggining )
Thank You!
Old 03-07-21, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I am about that overweight or more, and I can carry a huge load of groceries, or an extremely comprehensive photography kit, on my Fuji Sportif. Al frame, CF fork, mechanical discs .... I have a photo somewhere of it loaded down with photo gear but I am in a hurry now.

BUT .... the basics are this---

Get a bike with an Al frame and CF fork---light strong and cheap as a rule and you will never need to worry if it is broken after a crash., or worry about dropping it (unless you have $10K of photo gear on board.)
Endurance-geometry frame----you don't want to ride like a Tour de France racer, and if your midsection is shaped like mine, bending over is synonymous with holding my breath, which doesn't work with cycling.
28-32 mm tires At Least so you can ride roads or a little dirt or bad pavement easily.
At least 9-speedx2 drivetrain---50-34 chainrings or lower (I find that with 50-34x 11-32 I can haul my fat butt up most hills without a heart attack (a very real prospect, in my case) even loaded down---but 48- or even 46-tooth chain sets are valid unless you want to ride pace lines with the racers.)

Rear rack mounts included.

I recommend you look at (online nowadays) all the bikes offered by all the manufacturers at the top of your price range. Read about the components included----it doesn't matter if you don't know what all the words mean, you will figure out enough---and you will see similarities. You will also see that some manufacturers tend to charge more for the same level of componentry. Giant and Fuji, are two (I am sure there are others) which often give slightly better deals on equivalently specced bikes.

When you have a feel for what tis out there, come back and ask more questions,.

Then---Go Test Ride.

You will need to ride a couple to get a feel for what size fits you best, and how you like the bike to be set up for comfort. You won't get much more than basic fit out of most test rides, but at least you will have a chance to see what size range you should be shopping for.

Then go back online and see what's there, knowing better what it is you want.

Also, remember you will want to buy bottle cages and bottles, at least a good tail light (Not a box-store AA-cell light---being seen leads to being run over less.) You will want a Sturdy rear rack, and probably a trunk and panniers and maybe a handle-bar bag (speaking only from personal experience, shooting with my bike as my vehicle.) A good headlight is important if you will ever be out until dusk or later---again, a Real headlight, not a AA battery reading light. Some people will say a helmet is a necessity----consider that. And, you will probably want a set of bib overalls---padded shorts are great unless you have the kind of belly that starts mi-chest or higher, in which case shorts always seem to cut into the flesh somewhere.

As for jerseys,. you can get technical t-shirts (Hanes Speedy-Dri or some such) for $5-$7 apiece if you shop around and they work fine.

Most important---you Want to do this. You have a reasonable budget, and a little experience. You are in for a Whole lot of enjoyment.

The worst part, is that some days you will want to ride, but will stop to take pictures because everywhere you go looks so good, and some days you will see all these beautiful shots and won't have the right photo gear because you decided to just leave it home and ride, that day.

The only solution is to ride more. Oh, well.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-07-21, 12:05 PM
messmedia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maelochs Oh, man, this post of yours is ... GREAT!
Exactly what I needed! - General explanations on what to pay attention.
You even included a tutorial of a sort, about the procedure when buying a bike, which I highly appreciate and am gratefull for!
Nice to see more people with similar interests outthere!
So, my overweighted, photographer-biker brother, I Thank You!
And yes, I am prone to always have different set of tools than one I need. When I do stuff around the house, when taking photos, or just walking around (If I carry an umbrella, there is no chance the rain will fall. If I dont have it, it will fall, from clear sky even! )
But, as you said, desire is there, it took some time to expand it, but hopefully it will remain!
Thank you, again!
Likes For messmedia:
Old 03-07-21, 06:53 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I concur with Maelochs above, but I'd go for 38 or 40mm tires and at least 32 spoke wheels if possible.
Old 03-08-21, 03:02 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
You don't get much in a bike for 200 euros ($236) here in the US. Translating the component list was a bit difficult. The drive train is Shimano Tourney which comes on many inexpensive bikes. Not great but it works OK.

Here is the component list in English for the more expensive bike https://koleloto.bg/product/1239/cro...ban-2017g.html I didn't see multiple frame sizes listed.
Does the bike come in more than one frame size? One-size-fits-all? Not very well in my universe. Make sure you get a frame that is properly sized for you, especially in choosing a used bike where you don't get to choose from several sizes. Many low priced budget bikes only come in one size. Most are heavier than what I like to ride but of the two I would choose it. It comes with slightly wider tires that may hold your weight better.

You can always buy a rack and a set of panniers to carry things on the bike. Panniers locate the weight lower on the frame for better handling. You can buy a cheap set of panniers online from China on eBay. I use a set of British made Carradice panniers but they are quite expensive. Cheap ones will work too.

If you are careful how you ride you can exceed the weight recommendations for a bike without damaging the frame. Lightweight wheels might be a bigger problem. You aren't likely to get really light wheels in your price range.