Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown 80s 531 track frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-09-21, 08:52 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

One of the overlooked treasures at the bike estate was this custom painted track frame. It had been painted by G-Forse in Cor D'alene. I've reached out to them, but while he does have recollection of painting it he didn't remember anything else about it. Interesting features include cut lugs, a square undrilled seatstay bridge, Columbus dropouts, and the later 531 decal. The original owner who passed had done some track racing and appears to have had a predilection towards fixed road riding with front brakes installed on both of his track bikes. I LOVE fixed riding, so I'm hoping to continue with his vision for these bikes.

Hoping to get it out on the road today and get some outdoor photos.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 03-09-21, 04:49 PM
Dylansbob 

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Better photos with the money shot,

Old 03-09-21, 05:10 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
I’ve not seen a square brake bridge before. Looks like a good machine for pedaling out the serious miles!
Old 03-09-21, 06:27 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Whats the bottom bracket height? Looks really low in the pic. Or is it a relaxed seat tube angle?
Old 03-09-21, 07:05 PM
Dylansbob 

*low*

I measured 78mm of bb drop, so it's kinda interesting. It felt fairly steep in the front end, with some toe overlap. With the nice reinforced bottle braze-ons and the low geometry, you'd think the seatstay bridge would be drilled.

The cockpit drop is too much for my hip to bear, so I'm going to have to hipsterize it with a riser of some sort. I'm really not supposed to ride fixed anymore, but with these two just added to the stable I'm going to be hurting for a while.