Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone have this problem? (Sidi Shot/Wire)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone have this problem? (Sidi Shot/Wire)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 11:28 AM
CerveloPro1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone have this problem with shoes? (Sidi Shot/Wire)

For a while I used Sidi Wires (first generation) in a 47. Even after switching insoles, I found there was just a tad too much room in front of the toes. I decided to check eBay and found a killer deal on the perfect new pair of Shots in a 46.5.

Got the shoes in and tried on the left and perfect fit. Well last night I try on both shoes and on my right foot the toebox rubs my little toe to discomfort. Even with the lower dial sort of loose, There is minor to moderate discomfort on the pinky toe. My question is before I use the shoes and lose their new value, has anyone dealt with this before specific to these shoes. I’ve searched around and read that they don’t really stretch, but some folks say they have used different objects to stretch out the toebox ever so slightly. Should I say F it and just see if I can break them in?

I must admit I’m torn because I really want these shoes to work, they’re a Limited color and one I’ve wanted for a while.

Last edited by CerveloPro1; 03-09-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 11:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
with a hair drier blowing on them & stuffing the inside with a bunch of fabric, it might give a little. It might contract a little once cooled.
Old 03-11-21, 08:51 AM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Try putting a shoehorn in there to push it out. Funny I also have 46.5 Sidis. You may find one of your feet is larger than the other..
Old 03-11-21, 09:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If I had to choose between a half-size worth of wiggle room or hoping that some discomfort will be resolved through manipulation, I don't think that I'd have to ponder too long - I'd keep the 47s and forget about the 46.5.
Old 03-12-21, 03:37 PM
CerveloPro1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If I had to choose between a half-size worth of wiggle room or hoping that some discomfort will be resolved through manipulation, I don't think that I'd have to ponder too long - I'd keep the 47s and forget about the 46.5.

I agree but the length is perfect. Just the width on the right side. The 47 heel slip annoys the heck out of me.

it may be these shoes are just not for me.
Old 03-12-21, 03:39 PM
CerveloPro1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by klasse
Try putting a shoehorn in there to push it out. Funny I also have 46.5 Sidis. You may find one of your feet is larger than the other..
they’re pretty identical in length. The right is about 2-3mm wider. Never had to measure the width before.
Old 03-12-21, 03:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloPro1
I agree but the length is perfect. Just the width on the right side. The 47 heel slip annoys the heck out of me.

it may be these shoes are just not for me.
Ah, okay - heel slip is the issue, not the extra room. You shouldn't be relying on your toes being jammed in to the front of your shoe to keep your heels in place. I'd be looking at something with a different and/or moldable heel cup.
Old 03-12-21, 04:00 PM
CerveloPro1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, okay - heel slip is the issue, not the extra room. You shouldn't be relying on your toes being jammed in to the front of your shoe to keep your heels in place. I'd be looking at something with a different and/or moldable heel cup.
Yes ironically they have an adjustable cup But still there’s some slippage. The 46 1/2 feel so much better except for that right side. Not a big deal I’ll just get something else. You live and you learn. Appreciate the advice
Old 03-12-21, 04:13 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
A good shoe repair can often put wooden forms in the area needing stretched. I’m not sure how the synthetic leather stretches though.

I also ride Sidi size 46.5 shoes and the toe box has enough room for my foot size. I wear a 12.5 in running shoes.
Old 03-12-21, 05:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have a pair of Specialized touring shoes that are synthetic. I have used shoe trees in them for years and they are definitely a bit wider in the toe. Not sure if you’ll get 3mm, but a shoe repair shop can help or give you an answer.

John